Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
rando

Default ProCoder 3 Upgrade

2 questions 1. If I am using ProCoder to convert DV to mpeg from Edius's timeline is there a advantage to upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0? 2. How does the upgrade work? Do I use my current dongle?Serial?

BTW Nice forum reminds me of the old days the REALLY old days
Randy
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
WTS1

It might be a bit quicker, but I haven't had a chance to quantify the differences yet using the same computer.

The upgrade comes with it's own dongle, you don't use your old one (PC2).

Jim
WTS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
rando

Default procoder 3 upgrade

Jim,
Hey buddie how you been? I thought it would be alot faster because of supporting dual procs.

Randy
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
2 questions 1. If I am using ProCoder to convert DV to mpeg from Edius's timeline is there a advantage to upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0? 2. How does the upgrade work? Do I use my current dongle?Serial?
1. If you've got a newer processor with multiple cores (Core 2 Duo for example), you can use the Grid Encoder exporter to make this faster. Plus you can now choose AC3 as the audio format. Otherwise, the workflow is identical for you.

2. I believe you simply install the upgrade and plug in the new dongle for the old one (which you put away somewhere safe). I don't recall being asked for a serial number either.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
WTS1

Randy,

On paper it should be faster, I just don't have any real world numbers to give you an idea.

As GV_KH noted, you can output to ac3, but you should know ahead of time it's a consumer type encode. That may not have any real impact on your product output, but for some it might.

You can actually have PC2 and 3 on the same machine, or at least I was able to. No real reason you would want to do that. No serial number, just need the dongle in place to launch the application. The old PC2 dongle won't work with PC3.

Jim
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Martin_Gleeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS1 View Post
As GV_KH noted, you can output to ac3, but you should know ahead of time it's a consumer type encode. That may not have any real impact on your product output, but for some it might.
Jim, what does this mean? I'm no expert on AC3; but currently use Encore to do the AC3 encoding. Is the Procoder 3 AC3 encoding similar?

Edius 9.50. Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k
Dublin, Ireland. PAL.
Martin_Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Khoi Pham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
1. If you've got a newer processor with multiple cores (Core 2 Duo for example), you can use the Grid Encoder exporter to make this faster. Plus you can now choose AC3 as the audio format. Otherwise, the workflow is identical for you.

2. I believe you simply install the upgrade and plug in the new dongle for the old one (which you put away somewhere safe). I don't recall being asked for a serial number either.
Can you verify that the grid encoder only works in CBR mode and not VBR?
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
WTS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_Gleeson View Post
Jim, what does this mean? I'm no expert on AC3; but currently use Encore to do the AC3 encoding. Is the Procoder 3 AC3 encoding similar?
Martin,

It really depends on the output/product you produce. For some, a professional grade ac3 encoder is a must. For the best sound fidelity, a pro encoder is the way to go. For many, the boost in quality is not needed, or would actually even be noted for the types of sound files that are being compressed. Second, if you are going to display on your final product that it has Dolby stereo (and again, that's not something that many have a need for at the prosumer level), you need a pro certified encoder (even if you use a pro encoder you need Dolby's approval--Dolby has a free review process where you submit an audio file and they give a stamp of approval or not). If someone is going to use the fact that the audio is Dolby as a selling point (which the simple display of the logo on packaging amounts to), then the 'legal' thing to do is the above.

Does this impact a large swath of users here, I don't know, and I doubt it. However, I just make the point for those that it might impact. Procoder is sold as a professional grade transcoder, and one might make the wrong assumption when it comes to ac3 specifically. Clearly, Procoder has been one of the best video converters out there.

I don't use Encore, so I don't know the specific answer to your question (for sure). My bet is that the encoder for Encore is a consumer grade one, since Adobe has an upgrade path (I believe with Minnetonka Audio) for purchasing the pro level plug-in. As has been pointed out here, the pricing for a pro grade encoder can be expensive. If there was 'no difference' between consumer grade and pro level, then why would anyone ever pay to have the more expensive version? The fact is, whether it's sound fidelity or the ability to promo one's product, there is a difference.

Jim

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder