Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 12-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
4vrEng

Default ADVC300 Block Diagram/Key Settings

I have an ADVC300 with Picture Controller software to adjust the settings, but I am uncertain about optimizing the captured results. In one of the threads I recall a statement that "you can do most of the adjustments in your editing software after the capture". I would like to identify what adjustments take place before A/D conversion in the ADVC300 so I know what settings to focus on.
1. Does anyone have a list of adjustments that are critical to set correctly prior to capture?
2. Does anyone have a block diagram of the system showing where the adjustments take place in the processing chain?

Unfortunately the FInal Cut Express software does not appear to give real time audio levels, so I may have to do several passes to get audio levels correct.

My system setup is an ADVC300 with a Sony SLV-940HF VHS deck, Intel iMac running OS 10.5, external 500 GB 7200 RPM LaCie firewire drive, and Final Cut Express.

Thank you
4vrEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
dpalomaki

All I am aware of is what is in the manual. I have not seen any specific block diagrams.

The manual says "settings specified in the image quality adjustments are applied when analog data is converted to DV data." I suspect that the brightness/contrast/hue/saturation adjustments are on the analog side at the A/D converter input - where they usually belong. One could argue that they give a bit of basic proc amp capability.

Settings will depend in large part on the source material you are capturing. You would want the cleanest, most accurate input video you can get. Thus I would adjust the the controls as necessary to give the best capture image. With good input video, neutral settings are likely best.

As to audio, it becomes a compromise between head room and noise floor, and is often compromised by the source player's output capability. There is a separate thread or two on the ADVC300 audio capabilities. Some folks use an external audio mixer to better manage the audio levels fed to the ADVC, this addresses the often low output levels of consumer gear sources.

While you can fix many image issues in post, you cannot fix what is not captured. Highlight and/or shadow detail can be lost or trashed in the digitization process (round-off/truncation losses) if the input signal is too hot, or too weak. Old analog video sources (VHS and 8mm tape), especially at LP or EP/SLP speed and multi-generation tapes can be problematic in terms of quality. Some old VCRs have problems as components age, and it varies by brand.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
4vrEng

Default Setting Mixer audio level

I decided to purchase an external mixer (Yamaha MG06) with level display LEDs.
My question is the best setting for the audio gain on the ADVC300. Should I put a tone in the mixer, set it for just indicating saturation at the mixer output and then adjusting the ADVC300 audio gain to just before clipping? My tools are limited, so I will probably be viewing the recorded audio on Audacity to look for clipping.
Thank you
Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
4vrEng

Default Setting Mixer Audio Level into ADVC300

Followup:
I connected an iMic A/D converter (set for line input) to the audio output of my ADVC300. I then used Audacity to observe the iMic capture. I assume the audio out from the ADVC300 is a D/A conversion of the captured input and would reflect audio input A/D saturation.
The ADVC300 seems to clip with factory gain settings when the mixer indicates 0 dB output. I measured this level at 1.21 Vrms. (the Yamaha MG06 mixer data sheet specifies 1.228 V). The mixer LED display reads peak (+11), +6, +3, 0, -3, -10, -20 dB. Mixer output clipping is 14 dB above nominal.
My next step is setting the ADVC300 analog input to clip at the mixer peak indication.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
dpalomaki

See this thread for ADVC300 audio test results.
http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23415
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC