Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
harveylexton

Default Edius 8 with no sound using MBP 17 inch

Can anyone put an answer to this question please.

8mm Cine projector headphone output to line in on a 17 inch MacBook Pro which has High Sierra and Bootcamped into Win 7.
The Video in to the Laptop From the projector is not a problem and captures perfectly with all the correct settings.

Now the problem, Win 7 set to Line in and when I play the projector and use the Win 7 recorder it records perfectly, but not when I use Edius 8.53 the audio won't record at all even though it is going into the laptop as I can here the audio on the laptop speakers.

Something I am doing wrong because I can capture video but not audio. Video is being captured from firewire out of a camera to the Firewire in on the Laptop.
Can anyone give me an idea how to over come this please. I have not had it before and have used the system many times.
harveylexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
DigitalDave

Hi Harvey
Long time no speak.
If I have understood your set up the camera is sending FW to the computer
but at the same time you are trying to capture the audio from the projector.
If that is correct, it will never work at the same time.
FW is a combined digital signal from the camera - the line out to line in analogue.If you had a mic connected on the camera you would capture the ambient sound including the projector running. Depending on the camera feed the line out of the projector to the Line in on the camera or with an attenuator use Mic in. Then the FW signal should have the projector audio.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
harveylexton

Hello Dave,
Doing well, hope your good too.
I am capturing from the fw from camera to laptop the sound is separate from headphone jack to the line in. I ave also come out of the camera with RCA into ADVC 55 and out to fw on the computer. Sound is via headphone on the projector into line in.
This has worked many times before without a hitch and now it refuses to capture.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
antonsvideo

if you need to capture sound from projector at the same time as vision via firewire, you need to connect the sound from projector to camera audio input, then vision and audio will travel via the single firewire

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #5
harveylexton

Thanks Anton, I will try that, the problem I can see with that is I will have to make a 3.5mm Jack to XLR lead as the camera does not have a 3.5mm female.
The camera has RCA and FireWire out.
I canít understand whatís going on as I have been using the camera since itís
retirement for Cine capture and never had a problem until now.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #6
antonsvideo

tip of headphone jack to pin 2 and 3 of XLR
ring of headphone jack to pin 1

an EDIUS DV capture preset only allows you to record embedded audio, so I have no idea how you would have done that in the past unless you used the ADVC as a go-between

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #7
GrassValley_SL

Agreed. I don't think this was ever possible.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
DigitalDave

This was what I wote in #2.
Unless your camera has a line in, to take the line out feed from the projector, then the only way I can see to combine audio into the camera's firewire out is via the MIC input and using an attentuator.
I dont know if your ADVC is capable of combining analogue audio (from projector) into the FW but I somehow doubt it.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
alanlacey

You don't want to capture separately and synch up in Edius?

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.
alanlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
DigitalDave

If the audio on the film is synchronised, ie lip sync then separate runs is a bad idea unless the projector has an asyncronous motor and only customised telecine projectors do, it will not stay in sync.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS