Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
alanlacey

Another vote for Dave

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.
alanlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I estimate your point of view... but it is just responding to your way of working. Globaly : The HD price is sufficient for people wich don't need more then 1 original of their jobb and this answer is not a response to face the question.

Here I some points of my needs taking also price and time into account :

1) To transmit the project on another computer. I am working in tandem with other people. Why transport or duplicate 1GB is 92 MB is sufficient...

2) The genuine project is actually close to 1TB. I am sure it will still growth because other versions and languages are coming. Will I use a 2TB just because of more space

3) Any project needs a safe plan B copy, in my way of working. So we speak about 2 HD for the genuine archive (taking point 2 into account) and a third one to transmit the project. Again copies are taking time.

4) I should post this point in 1). Consolidation is a feature proposes by Edius from the beginning. It is their proposition and initiative... the professionnal level of Edius needs reliability and upgrades are welcome. But I read that since 5.51 it did not.

5) A user has proposed a good solution on a french forum and it works.
Should I know that before... I would not been annoying people on these forum because I respect the "up to size" people (as Anton & Kenlewis translator) who invest a lot of time to help other...

6) Finally, when a solution of workaround exits it's pleasure to share on the forum

This was IMHO
Well it gave me a good laugh!

Just checking on Amazon, the difference in cost between a 1TB and 2TB Hard drive is 15 EUROS - it's a no brainer.

You have a project that you say will have multiple language versions yet there is not 15 EUROS in the budget for a bigger Hard Drive.

Copying/backing up - that is what happens while you are sleeping.

When it all goes apeshit don't say you weren't warned...and I bet you that Anton would give up Red Wine (Heaven forbid) before he would use any type of consolidate.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #13
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Well it gave me a good laugh!

Just checking on Amazon, the difference in cost between a 1TB and 2TB Hard drive is 15 EUROS - it's a no brainer.

You have a project that you say will have multiple language versions yet there is not 15 EUROS in the budget for a bigger Hard Drive.

Copying/backing up - that is what happens while you are sleeping.

When it all goes apeshit don't say you weren't warned...and I bet you that Anton would give up Red Wine (Heaven forbid) before he would use any type of consolidate.
Good point that my post give you a good laugh.

I have actually 50 HDD of archives + a NAS for Archive backup (where the plans B are stored on 5 Raid disk).

When I compare my last production based on Archives (mainly the case), difference betweeh consolidation is 95 GB compare to genuine Archives 1TB.

So if I want to have only what I needed to edit in Edius in my 2 backups the difference is multiply by 1T to 2T (15 €) for complete archives multiply by 50 HDD. We are at 750 €. Add on that the impact on my server... Synology DX513 with 16 TB in Raid and one spare disk = 1825 € (in 2014).

So, consolidation divide the place by 10, the time by 10 the price by 10.
Migration from old IDE to Sata has also been necessary.

The subject was to have a reliable consolidation system very important in my case because the many genuine archives (received or I have to digitalize) needed to built the final project.... and the storing of the final result needed for Edius (in the case presented and the solution finally founded ) divided by 10.

So to make still a good occasion for you to laugh, I will go in the same answer as Hall 9000 in "2001 A Space (what I want to spare) Odyssey" :I am sorry Dave, I am afraid I can't do this and spend money for place unnecessary to edit Edius project in the future.

Have a good laugh

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS