Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 05-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
fersonjames

Default procoder express raw DV

Hello, I am trying to find out what way my (VHS to DV) data will be best flexable for the future. I will convert about 70hours of home VHS to DV and want to store it in a format or codec that will be good and usable over the future.

My procoder choices are AVI, AVI(DVI) MPEG, quicktime, quicktime export file, windows medica, realmedia, and raw DV.

what i want is to encode what i capture in edius into a file format that will have great details and then flexability for years to come. (background problem is that i sorta got locked out of 100hrs of avi files by windows vista when i moved to that OS, as i guess canopus avi wasnt the same...i would get sound but no movie).
fersonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
SoundFreak
Banned

Looks like you have some answers in your previous thread : http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ad.php?t=16568

No one can tell the future, maybe AVI is your best bet, it has been around for a long time and it's spec is more than sufficient to hold any VHS footage, but anything that has been around for long might be replaced soon, no one knows really.

Make sure you use a good S-VHS deck (even if the source is just VHS) and use a Full Line TBC, this will get the most out of the tapes.

Playing out VHS tapes leaves you with 2 choices.

1) use a industrial player like a SVO-5600 / 5800 which virtually plays any tape (however bad the recording previously was done) but you'll get a lot more noise in the captured footage due to larger video heads used in these machines.

2) use a high-end home-use S-VHS player and adchieve much cleaner picture captures but you could run into massive tracking problem which these machines are not so capable to deal with.

For my personal VHS / S-VHS captures I bought a second hand SVO-5800p and accepted the more grainy, but highly detail image capturing in Canopus HQfine, and spend some time with neat video to clean it all up, fantastic results everytime, and haven't run into a tape that I couldn't playout because of tracking issues.

The bad part of these machines, they are not multi system, if you do NTSC & PAL conversions you'll need one of each.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fersonjames View Post
i sorta got locked out of 100hrs of avi files by windows vista when i moved to that OS, as i guess canopus avi wasnt the same...i would get sound but no movie).
Normally codec's are backwards compatible to certain extend, try updating all your GPU drives , quicktime etc, play with overlay setting and i'm convinced you get the picture back.

you could use Gspot to find out what codec is used on the files.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
fersonjames

thanks for the repiles. I am gonna try that gspot to see what the vista machine is missing.

the vhs s deck i got was a JVC, its not weaponsgrade or anything but it works!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
fersonjames

wow..thanks man. I had a similar post about my vista and AVI problem, but your gspot program really gave me the info that a rmc properties didnt!

it says my files are in a canopus dv avi codex missing.. so i hope i can figure out how to fix that.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
tuyle

My choice would be captured the footages to Canopus HQ. Then keep one copy on hard drive and 2nd copy on Blu-ray (save as data) for archive.

For VHS / SVHS you can get a good used player from $100-$200. I got JVC BR-S525DXU for $200 about 2 year ago.
tuyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder