Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Captain

Default bad picture import quality

Only today I have discovered that I have a problem with importing image files - on the quality side.

I have a still image created in a 3D-programm in Full HD resolution and imported into a progressive Full HD project in Edius (later on, this will become a whole sequence). In order to not loosing so much quality, I saved the file as Bitmap (which is almost uncompressed and takes 6MB for that one single HD frame). However, I noticed that in Edius the image looks much more aliased than it originally is.

My first thought was that there could be quality settings to adjust. Indeed, I found a setting for importing pictures and set it to "bmp" to match with my original file format. Unfortunately, this did not have any effect.

Please see screenshots below:
1: I made a screenshot of the frame in Layouter, where I sticked to 100% and put a windows picture viewer on the left side, also set to 100%.
2: On the second screenshot I enlarged this view to make it more clear, but I ensured that both the left and the right view show the same resolution and size to be comparable.

Now, is this a known/common problem? Are there more settings to make? Does it have anything to do with the whole Quicktime thing?

Big part of this problem is that I already tested parts in motion as a picture sequence. Result: the whole thing does NOT look smoother while moving, but rather edged. Not so cool for me, and surely not good enough for my client.

I am thankful for any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: png ImageImport1.png (245.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png ImageImport2.png (176.6 KB, 44 views)
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
ulyssesvideo

what program did you use?
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
GrassValley_PS

Did you try a tga?
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
what program did you use?
A ten years old 3D software that no longer exists. But it was rendered with maximum anti-aliasing and therefore looks good in GIMP or other picture software.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
Did you try a tga?
No, I went for bitmap, since I assumed it is the most common and uncompressed format being read by 99,99999% of all picture/video software. I might give tga a try.

/edit: I made an attempt on a tga, one with compression and one without - it did not look any better.

Last edited by Captain; 10-13-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:56 AM   #6
antonsvideo

what is the project setting? P or i? Full HD etc?

what is the pixel size of the image? does it match timeline size

is Lanczos3 enabled in project settings?

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
David Clarke

Is this just on the EDIUS overlay or on the final movie? EDIUS will be doing something to the bitmap as it will change it from RGB to YUV, where as programs like GIMP will just display it as RGB. So it could just be showing something in the overlay that they are not doing. It would also be interesting to see what another video program does to the image to see if this is what happens when RGB images are converted to video colour. Can you post your grey and pink original image here?
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
Andreas_Gumm

Have in mind that Edius works at 4:2:2 color subsampling only!
It becomes more obvious if red is the color in hard contrast to other very bright or dark colors e.g. blue.
It becomes more dramatic if you are using DV or MPEG2 as render codec in PAL (4:2:0) or NTSC-DV (4:1:1) project.

Premiere and AVID are using a 4:4:4 engine.

Andreas
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Captain

After a few days of work I am back now. Thank you for your suggestions so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
what is the project setting? P or i? Full HD etc? what is the pixel size of the image? does it match timeline size?
The pictures are Full HD. Project, accordingly is a Full HD one with 25p. Therefore, there should be neither reseizing nor framerate/interlace conversion troubles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
is Lanczos3 enabled in project settings?
No, it wasn't. But I tried either one of the several Lanczos3 methods, and neither one looked substancially better than the other or without Lanczos3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
Is this just on the EDIUS overlay or on the final movie? EDIUS will be doing something to the bitmap as it will change it from RGB to YUV, where as programs like GIMP will just display it as RGB. So it could just be showing something in the overlay that they are not doing. It would also be interesting to see what another video program does to the image to see if this is what happens when RGB images are converted to video colour. Can you post your grey and pink original image here?
It is in the final video as well. Also, it does not make difference whether I use the images frame by frame on the timeline or I import them as a whole picture sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_Gumm View Post
Have in mind that Edius works at 4:2:2 color subsampling only!
It becomes more obvious if red is the color in hard contrast to other very bright or dark colors e.g. blue.
It becomes more dramatic if you are using DV or MPEG2 as render codec in PAL (4:2:0) or NTSC-DV (4:1:1) project.
Could be something like this while converting RGB to YUV, as David suggested. In that case, I would have to use another software to combine my frames to video files and only import the video files into Edius, then. Right?

I have attached a link (leads to WeTransfer.com) with the original BMP image as it comes out of the 3D software before any color correction etc. is done. Just the pure image. Maybe you could test if it looks good at your's - then we could check the differences.

https://we.tl/aiB7mGx11P (link valid only before Oct. 24th)
Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808
Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
antonsvideo

your still looks fine here

maybe you have quicktime disabled in system settings?
Attached Images
File Type: png Anton-0535.png (366.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Anton-0536.png (164.3 KB, 10 views)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS