Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 11-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Using HandBrake to encode an Edius project.

This is a different link as the previous link is no longer available.

This is an old tutorial and certain things have changed but the basic principles still apply.

I will be doing two new tutorials soon, one with the latest version of Handbrake and showing its use with GPU assisted encoding using Intel, Nvidia and AMD GPUs, and another specifically for Edius users.

Cheers,
Dave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivH89iXIqMI

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Last edited by Liverpool TV; 07-02-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

Harry and Andrew, as alway great technical info.....
I have only ventured into handbrake since this year and starting to like it more and more.
I do notice on rewind MP4 media that it often struggles to start going back.
Pausing the rewind and re-starting the rewind often solves that.
It is most likely caused by my aging WD TV live hub but is there a setting in handbrake that could improve this or is it the nature of the beast.

I use latest version of handbrake, not a beta.

TIA

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
Harry and Andrew, as alway great technical info.....
I have only ventured into handbrake since this year and starting to like it more and more.
I do notice on rewind MP4 media that it often struggles to start going back.
Pausing the rewind and re-starting the rewind often solves that.
It is most likely caused by my aging WD TV live hub but is there a setting in handbrake that could improve this or is it the nature of the beast.

I use latest version of handbrake, not a beta.

TIA
It's likely to be your player. There are things you can change to the stream settings, or change profile and level settings, but I think it's your player. Try the iPod preset and then Apple TV 3, if you notice a big difference then it's likely your player.

When you consider that a BD player, or computer software, can generally wiz through stuff. This is an indicator to showing it's usually down to the player.

Try the fast decode setting, this may help. If it does, it really will point to your player. Also, bit rates and your players media read speed will also be a factor.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Andreas_Gumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
When Handbrake will start using latest libraries from ffmpeg than you will be able to use HQ or HQX codecs. They already work in ffmpeg.
Handbrake is libav based. Sadly we have to wait until libav12 gets released and becomes integrated to Handbrake.

Andreas
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
Liverpool TV

BTW Tony.

If you're in the market for a new media player, check this out. The opening shot is a bit dark but you will see the box further in. It's a full blown Windows 10 PC that's the exact same size as an Apple TV 3. It can play native Sony XAVCS UHD files and every variation of H264 that I've thrown at it. It's an awesome Mini PC that doubles up as the best media player I've used, it also runs Kodi perfectly and streams YouTube 4K and can be used as a Steam streamer. Oh, and it's cheaper than many media only boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMGoUrNl8j4

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 AM   #6
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

Then it looks like it is my player as my WD TV player as my BD player rewind perfectly but has the occasional sound drop-out and my WD player plays always perfectly.
Looks like you can't have it all :)

I did look at the mini pc with win 10 and indeed it looks very interesting.
As we are slowly but surely going into a financial crisis in my country, I can't justify any investment in any shiny new toys for a while.......

We are another Greece in the making.

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
Add additional options which I mentioned to limit GOP size and number of B frames.
By the default x264 will make GOPs up to 10xfps and depending on preset you may have many B frames. This may cause issues for some hardware based players.
Do I assume that forcing the GOP's to a lower number makes the compression less effective ?

Shouldn't be a problem for me as file size is not a great concern, unless of course it doubles :)

The rewinding stop / stutter is actually not a big issue for me but I'm always curious as to the why.... and a bit of tinkering runs strong in me.

Forward search is very smooth and fast, which is used more often.

I will play a bit see it it's having any effect, Thanks.

EDIUS WG 8.53

Old 02-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
roxynik

Hi Guys I use Hanbrake for HD projects with great results but when i use it with an SD project 720x576 16:9 pal 50i from Edius my file does not keep the aspect ratio.
Have you any advice?
Thank you.
roxynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
antonsvideo

you need to choose anamorphic strict
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/e...anamorphic.png

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #10
roxynik

Thanks Anton for your replay but I found out now that the problem is the export from Edius 8.11, if I export the file in Mpg2 it mantains the same aspect ratio, instead in lossless the file changes aspect ratio in 4:3.
this only in 720x 576. why?
roxynik is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products