Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
wallofsound

Default ADVC-100 Analogue Capture Problem

After spending the best part of 8 hours or so experimenting and also reading various threads and posts both here and in other forums, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to shed some light on the following scenario:

I borrowed a Canopus ADVC-100 from a friend (who uses this in his editing suite, hooked up to the front end of a DV Raptor) to evaluate, in view of purchasing a new Canopus ADVC-110.

Well after trying the ADVC-100 on both my desktop and laptop connected to the motherboard firewire port, I could not for the life of me get analogue video to capture or display. This was using various (approximately 4 different editing/capturing programs). The analogue I was trying to capture was being generated from a) a Pal VHS Deck, b) a Pal Video 8 deck and on each occasion connected to the ADVC-100 via composite and L+R audio on the front panel, with PAL selected on the dip switch underneath.

Both decks (with the same interconnects) could be captured via an old PCI analogue card on the desktop which I subsequently removed from the computer just in case there were any conflicts.

Windows Xp with SP2 is installed on both computers and as such Windows managed to recognize the ADVC-100 as an "AVC compliant DV tape recorder/player"...... but it seems as if that's as far as things went.

I must admit I was totally amazed as I assumed this to be a "plug-n-play" device.

I should note that it would appear as if both the desktop and the laptop utilise a TI chip/controller for the motherboard firewire port. I recall reading that *perhaps* some early TI chips could cause problems with the ADVC-100.

However both the laptop and the desktop are only approximately 2 years old, so I don't know if this would be a relevant issue?

Ironically I did manage to pass-through via the firewire port of the ADVC when connected, my digital handycam which was correctly identified by Windows by both brand and model number.

Both firewire ports on the computers also work flawlessly when directly connecting the handycam.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by wallofsound; 02-01-2009 at 01:50 PM.
wallofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
THoff

For grins and giggles, try WinDV:

http://windv.mourek.cz/

It requires no installation or DLLs, you just run it from whereever you copy the file to. Uncheck the checkbox between the Config and Capture buttons to disable Device Control, and try capturing.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Also make sure you disconnect your Handycam and only have the ADVC connected to the Firewire port when you try WinDV.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
wallofsound

Many thanks THoff and Brandon for your prompt replies.

Unfortunately WinDV was one of the capture programs I had already tried, along with and including Scenalyzer, iuLab, Vegas and Pinnacle Studio.

The DV camcorder was not connected at any time when I tried to capture via the analogue inputs of the ADVC-100.

I also toggled between the analogue and digital inputs of the ADVC-100 when connected to see if I could reset the "handshake" but all to no avail.

What has me stumped or mystified is that the same thing is happening on both the laptop and desktop.

Having searched the web I can't see any definitive suggestions for possible software (eg specific anti-virus, firewall etc) or hardware (motherboard, modem, LAN, printer etc) configuration conflicts.

The only type of output I was getting (on one or maybe 2 occasions, but certainly not consistent) was a black screen with a fine orange coloured vertical stripe on the right hand side of the capture window.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Hmm... could be a number of things, so I'm going to start from ground-zero...
1. ADVC100 power supply is plugged in to an outlet that has power.
2. ADVC100's power supply is connected to the ADVC100.
3. ADVC100 is switched on. There should be light lit on the front.
4. Video source connected to front input jacks of ADVC100
5. ADVC100 is in Analog In mode
6. Windows sees the ADVC100 as a AV/C Compliant Camera/Tape Recorder (terminology varies slightly)
7. Capture software recognizes the ADVC as a connected DV camera/deck
8. Capture software has device control enabled.
9. Capture software sends Play command to ADVC (this ensures the ADVC is in Analog-to-DV conversion mode and timecode is rolling)

You might want to try the other Firewire port on the ADVC, just in case.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
wallofsound

Hi Brandon

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. Yes I have tried all of those 9 points as well as the additional firewire port of the AVDC-100.

I phoned technical support at the local distributors in this country giving an in depth overview of the situation and they suspect the AVDC-100 is faulty.

However it is not (as I also explained) when plugged in to the owner's DV Raptor. The owner has since explained to me that he has never used his 100 connected directly to a firewire port of a computer and always goes into the Raptor.

To cut a long story short I called into a local Canopus reseller with my laptop to try an AVDC-110 and it was detected by the laptop and captured perfectly.

Now the spooky part is that they also had an AVDC-100 floating around, so we tried that and once again my laptop detected it and captured perfectly.

The only thing I noticed with the install with both AVDC devices when plugged into the laptop was that Windows flashed up something like a "Found IEEE 1394" or words to a similar effect just before installing and finishing with "AVC compliant DV tape recorder/player".

With the install of my friend's AVS-100 I was not getting first up that "IEEE 1394" message, only the "AVC compliant DV tape recorder/player".

So the only thing I can think of is: 1) Is it possible my friend's AVDC-100 has different firmware? .... He said he bought it around 10 years ago...... so just wondering was the firmware for this model ever updated?
2) After browsing the MS support pages and firewire connection problems, is it possible for whatever reason, Windows on both computers was actually seeing the ADVC-100 unit as "another computer" connected by firewire and therefore not allowing video and audio data to pass, even though it *supposedly* installed the unit as an "AVC compliant DV tape recorder/player"? For it to be happening with 2 different computers I am guessing it may be firmware and the "handshake" with Windows.

On a brighter note, I ended up buying a new ADVC-110 which installs and captures on both computers in question without problem.

Must say I did a 90 minute capture from a 21 year old Video 8 tape and not one dropped frame! Superb.

I believe the GRASS is greener on the other side of the VALLEY.

I know ....... I won't give up my day job!

Many thanks once again.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

I'm glad to see you found a solution.

The original problem is very peculiar... but I have seen similar things happen with USB devices where a device, for whatever reason, only gets partially installed and when it's connected in the future Windows thinks it's already installed, so it just uses the existing (corrupt) configuration.

So it's not unlike that a similar thing happened with the ADVC100. Each Firewire device should have a unique identifier to the system, so plugging a different unit in should result in a new device detection and installation.

I can't remember whether there were any released firmware updates for the ADVC100... Someone in support should know that answer though.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC