Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
hvx_germanboy

Default Import MXF files from Canon 300

Hey there,
I do have experience with P2, but I am stuck with Canon for now:
There is a seperate folder for each clip recorded, having hundreds of takes it can be quite frustrating to import these by opening each folder.

I read here that the Sourche browser is recommended, so I tried to use "XF" but whenever I select a "CLIP.."folder, I do end up with nothing to import.
Selecting the folder above or below won't help either.

I would be very happy to hear some solution here, it feels like I am close, but too stupid to see the solution.

Thank's for your Input..!
Intel Core I5, M450@2,40GHz
hvx_germanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Karsten Fischer

AFAIK you have to the folder prior to the CLIP Folder.
Like, in a folder structure like this
F:\Transfer\000\Clip
select
instead of
Karsten Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Andy

Another option is simply to use the search tool in your Explorer window ... search for "MXF" and every clip on the card will be found ... you can drag them in to your project window as normal ... added bonus is that Edius will actually direct reference the media file rather than the metadata file (which becomes important when you need to do project interchange with other apps that do not read the metadata file).
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
MPPais

Source Browser»»XF. I do this with my Canon MXF 305. The card is inside the reader and Source Browser»»XF knows the destination. I select the files to import to the Project Folder and Bin.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
BobGiff

Another option is the Canon XF Utility, free download, which backs up and organizes footage into the folders and names of folders you want. Then import using Edius source browser.
BobGiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
MPPais

With Source Browser you don't need Canon XF Utility and your HD wil be happy...because you don't need to install more software!

Last edited by MPPais; 08-30-2013 at 09:27 PM.
MPPais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
BobGiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPPais View Post
With Source Browser you don't need Canon XF Utility and your HD wil be happy...because you don't need to instal more software!
If you don't mind the way Edius lumps all the folders together and names each files folder with 36 characters and transfers the footage to your system use the source browser. If you need to stay organized to access the clips for future needs and projects the XF Utility allows you to see and place clips in directories and folders you create - then use Edius to bring them into your project.
BobGiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGiff View Post
If you don't mind the way Edius lumps all the folders together and names each files folder with 36 characters and transfers the footage to your system use the source browser. If you need to stay organized to access the clips for future needs and projects the XF Utility allows you to see and place clips in directories and folders you create - then use Edius to bring them into your project.
Copy the card 1:1 to your harddrive and then use the Source browser just to add the clips to the bin.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
MPPais

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGiff View Post
I copy the Project Folder and than I paste to an external HD.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
hvx_germanboy

Hello everyone,

thanks a lot for all your responses, starting this question I've been away quite long, so thank's for keeping it up!

I actually did as Zorro described: I copied the clips-folder from each card 1:1 onto the hard disk.

Then I thought there would be a nice way to browse the clips, without having to open each and every supfolder that is created when you re-start recording?

Unfortunately I don't have access to the data right now, but from what I understand there is no way to browse things easily when I have copied the files like that.

I am open for future approaches, so I might change my workflow in order not to open all those folders and import manually, so thank's for the advises.
Intel Core I5, M450@2,40GHz
hvx_germanboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS