Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
rando

Default SSD hybrid

What do you guys think of this as a scratch drive or perhaps a system drive?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227753

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
EraseAndRewind

5400 rpm ? all the speed gain you 'might' have in the solid state part of the drive will be lost in bad way when the drive is being accessed.

Also this drive is not cheap, it defeats it purpose.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
EraseAndRewind

Better look a bit below on the same page http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227744

Not sure if the specs are good compared to others.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
shueardm

Can do the same thing with Intel Z68 chipset motherboard. Use a normal HDD for boot and a SSD for cache.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
rando

I guess I saw it as the best of both worlds. You have 100gig SSD and a terrabyte so you can have your OS on it with software and get fast boots but still have storage room for other things that you may keep on your system drive.

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card
Old 10-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
THoff

Another option is the OCZ Synapse SSD, a brand-new product that hasn't shipped yet but which creates a similar configuration to what the OCZ RevoDrive does. The Synapse is smaller (64GB or 128GB depending on the model, with 50% overprovisioning of the SSD), but lets you use the hard drive of your choice with it, including a RAID array.

I've had a 128GB OCZ Synapse on order for a few weeks now, there is still no estimated shipping date even though it is supposed to be available. Once I get it I will post my thoughts.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
rando

I'll check that out too. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
THoff

My OCZ Synapse drive arrived on Monday and I've had enough time with it to give an initial impression.

For starters, I was under the impression that the software to handle the caching was part of the OCZ Synapse firmware and that the drive to be cached would connect to the OCZ Synapse. The product page states that
Quote:
The OCZ Synapse Series integrates Dataplex™ caching software to dynamically manage the use of both SSD and HDD for superior overall storage performance.
In reality, the OCZ Synapse is connected as a discrete drive using a separate SATA connection, and you must install the Dataplex software on your PC. Please note that the only environments supported are 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.

There is no convenient way to disable the software in case you need to temporarily boot into a different environment from a USB thumbdrive or CD in order to run a backup or antivirus tool for instance. The method described in the helpfile requires you to interrupt the normal boot process and using the Windows Repair options, or worse doing a forced power-off using the power switch without shutting down Windows and then using the Windows Repair options:
Quote:

In order to temporarily disable the software, please follow the following steps -
  1. Restart Windows
  2. After the message "Starting Windows" appears, press CTRL-ALT-DEL within the first 2 seconds. This will cause the system to reboot again.
  3. During boot, Dataplex will enter a repair/diagnostic window. Allow Datpalex to complete repairs, if any.
  4. When prompted to press "D" to disable Dataplex cache, press any other key.
  5. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL when the Windows Repair messages come on the screen.
  6. Allow the PC to proceed to Windows or boot from your alternate media.
Alternately, you may temporarily disable the software from within the Windows environment -
  1. Press and hold the POWER button for 5 seconds.
  2. Reboot the machine.
  3. During boot, Dataplex will enter a repair/diagnostic window. Allow Datpalex to complete repairs, if any.
  4. When prompted to press "D" to disable Dataplex cache, press any other key.
  5. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL when the Windows Repair messages come on the screen.
  6. Allow the PC to proceed to Windows or boot from your alternate media.
The throughput numbers that OCZ quotes for the 128GB Synapse (Max Read: up to 550 MB/s, Max Write: up to 510 MB/s) are when using the drive as a straight SSD, and OCZ makes no specific claim for speeding up reads or writes when using it in conjunction with the Dataplex software. In fact, I don't believe that write performance is affected at all, I believe data is still written directly to the HDD and then possibly cached for subsequent reads.

In terms of performance improvements I've measured a roughly 25% reduction in system boot time, and applications like Edius and Adobe Lightroom start up noticeable faster during initial load. Basically data that is read frequently and never written will be available more quickly, so application loads will be sped up, but probably little else.

The OCZ RevoDrive hybrid drive uses the same Dataplex software and concepts, but the SSD and HDD are combined on a PCI-E card. It uses a 1TB laptop hard drive, but from what I've been able to determine it is only a 5400RPM drive, ultimately hampering disk (especially write) performance.

It is still too early for me to completely make up my mind regarding the OCZ Synapse, but I could not currently recommend it as a transparent system performance booster.

PS: In my earlier post I stated that you could use the OCZ Synapse with a RAID array (I had read that online somewhere). This is not the case, the drive being cached must be a single SATA drive.

Last edited by THoff; 10-20-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Andrzej
Banned

I have one of the latest OCZ SSD drives a system drive and "Widnows performance" compared to my older HP machine is much better. All apps start ways faster- 2 or even 3x faster- system boots in few sec after bios loads and overall responsiveness is very good. It's massive improvements over standard HDD and even quite big over my older OCZ SSD in my laptop.
Andrzej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
THoff

At least three reviews of the OCZ RevoDrive are out:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/OCZ-R...ss-SSD/?page=1

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/...value-finally/

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=1

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories