Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
alessandrobelli

Default consolidate trim non working? (edius 9.40.5106)

I am working with clips from a Panasoni Lumix camera, mp4 or mov.
At the end of my work i'd like to consolidate the project and trim the file to remove from the clip the unused part. The bin folder is empty. When I try to consolidate, trim option enabled, I Always get an alert that says that file cannot be trimmed and they are Entirely copyed with no trim.
I've used in the past edius 5 with MPEG2 and trimming consolidation was working file.
Why now it does not work? Is there a limitation on the file format or codec?
Thank you
Old 08-21-2019, 01:30 AM   #2
Liverpool TV

Hi Alessandro.

You will find that this is the issue for most codecs you will use. I don't think I've tried MPEG2 but maybe it worked if the files had certain parameters that Edius would be able smart render? My only success has been with HQ/X, there may be other codes that trim for consolidation but I've not personally used any that do.

You may also want to check the naming structure of the consolidated media. I've not tried it in 9 but in the past the names would not carry through from the original files.

It may be the case that certain legacy functions are still the way they've always been.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
alessandrobelli

thank you for your answer.
Edius documentation does not tell if it works with some codec and not with other. Consolidated file are copied to "consolidate" folder but the name is changed with a long Sid.. The file structure is the same as the original one.
So, by your anserver this function is not usable.
In the past I find it usefull to reduce the file size

Alessandro
Old 08-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandrobelli View Post
thank you for your answer.
Edius documentation does not tell if it works with some codec and not with other. Consolidated file are copied to "consolidate" folder but the name is changed with a long Sid.. The file structure is the same as the original one.
So, by your anserver this function is not usable.
In the past I find it usefull to reduce the file size

Alessandro
Hi Alessandro,

Ediusí consolidate function has never really worked properly and would appear to be just the same in Edius 9.

One of the main functions of consolidation is trim and handles and I suppose itís fair to say that this is a huge problem in Ediusí consolidation function.

If you plan on using HQ/X, then the trim function will work as you expect but many people will be working with many different native camera files that they may not want to conform.

Iíd say that the biggest issue with Ediusí consolidation function, is the re-naming of the consolidated media. The names definitely wonít help if you plan on working in an extended post workflow, or with other people expecting to see a file naming scheme that has reference to a shot log.

The names in the Edius bin are fine but itís the changing of the names of the physical media that will cause an issue.

For working shorter projects on your own and you are familiar with all the shots, then itís workable. But itís probably best avoided in an extended workflow.

Itís a real shame as this and a few other legacy issues that Iíve noticed, definitely take the shine off some of the really cool new functions in Edius 9.

I think at this point itís safe to say that these legacy issues will never be dealt with any Edius revision and itís probably best to avoid them moving forward.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
alessandrobelli

Thank you Dave.
I agree with you that change the file name during trimming consolidation is a very bad implementation, I've used it in the past because I don't need to share my project with other person, but loose the file original file name is so bad.
Anyway, now with my clip it does not work so I will not use any more.
For me the only way is to do it PRIOR to import clips on edius, with Lumix Fotostudio, but as you can imagine is not the best to trim before edit.
Is there any other way to do it?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Haddock

I have met the same issue.

Read this thread https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...=consolidation...

In this time it has worked for me... but I don't know if the type of clips from a Panasoni Lumix camera, mp4 or mov will be OK.

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
alessandrobelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I have met the same issue.

Read this thread https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...=consolidation...

In this time it has worked for me... but I don't know if the type of clips from a Panasoni Lumix camera, mp4 or mov will be OK.
Thank you

I've read the articleÖ I don't know french but someting I've undestood.
The article explain how to solve the problem of the file rename, but prior to this the trim function should work, and this is my 1.st problem
Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Thank you Dave.
I agree with you that change the file name during trimming consolidation is a very bad implementation, I've used it in the past because I don't need to share my project with other person, but loose the file original file name is so bad.
Anyway, now with my clip it does not work so I will not use any more.
For me the only way is to do it PRIOR to import clips on edius, with Lumix Fotostudio, but as you can imagine is not the best to trim before edit.
Is there any other way to do it?
Hi Alessandro.

I don't think there is really any other way of doing it. Even if there were by using something externally, it would probably defeat the point of the convenience of proper consolidation anyway, as it may end up taking more time than it's worth.

I personally preview all my footage inside Edius and sort it as I go. This allows me to do some basic assembly sequences as I'm familiarising myself with the material. I find this easier and quicker than sorting/logging the clips externally.

Plus. If you have a lot of clips the time taken to check them externally would probably take a lot of time away from editing.

If you have a lot of clips and need to reduce the amount of clips used in any given project, get rid of clips you definitely wont use and you will only work with the bin names, where the change of physical names may not be an issue. Then I think that the consolidate function still has a use. But probably only for someone working on their own in Edius who is also familiar with the source material. I do this myself.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #9
alessandrobelli

I first check my clip outside edu is just to discharge the useless one. Then inside edius I do fine trimming. Normally I trim out more then 60 % so it would be nice to archive only the usefull part
Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
DigitalDave

Quote:
Normally I trim out more then 60 % so it would be nice to archive only the usefull part
In terms of storage how much are you talking about? Storage is cheap and I have projects archived In Full going back 10 years and sometimes my client may want to access that - all of it.

I have just finished a 7 camera edit of a London Show that we filmed, including a 4K lockoff. It would be inconceivable to consider consolidating the edit of the whole show. A year down the road the client may want to make changes for whatever reason.

For me and many others, consolidate will never be on our radar
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS