Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Raja

Default Edius responsivness

I'm getting very frustrated at the responsivness i'm getting while editing on Edius. Having recently come from using Rex/Storm edit, it seems a way step back in chugging along while editing. Everything I do takes a second or 2 extra, and it builds up as the project builds up. Even zooming in/out struggles. Each project is 6 to 9hrs. I edit 2 to 3 sequences per project and each sequence is approx. 3hrs long. It gets very frustrating as the hours go by!

I'm running this on a Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM (only 3.3GB seen by system), Win XP 32-bit SP2, ASUS P5Q-Pro motherboard, ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB graphics, SATA drives for video (read/write 80 - 100MB / sec), Edius 5.01.

I'm planning on upgrading all edit stations to i7's.
Will I see a HUGE difference in editing responsivness, or is there something big i'm missing in my current spec above.

Any ideas welcome. Cheers.

BTW, went to NAB and Vegas for the first time. Was awesome! Was great to meet Mike Downey, Pat Sipes and Brandon there. Wanted to meet KH too, but they said he's fulltime web guy now and wasn't there!
1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
Gigabit Ethernet
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Was good meeting you!

Whether you get more responsiveness will depend on whether you're CPU-bound, storage-bound or RAM-bound. I suspect with a 6-9 hour project, you might be more RAM-bound than anything else. Check how much RAM EDIUS is using and how much is available.

As EDIUS is a 32-bit app, it won't be able to address more than 2GB, even in a 64-bit OS, but if your system is running low on memory in general while EDIUS is running, you might get a gain from switching to 64-bit Vista and reclaiming the extra ~700MB RAM you aren't using right now.

You may also try doing a single 3-hour sequence per-project, then putting them together afterward using Import Sequence. That might be a better workflow if it's feasible to do (not sure if/how your sequences interact).
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
Raja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
Was good meeting you!

Whether you get more responsiveness will depend on whether you're CPU-bound, storage-bound or RAM-bound. I suspect with a 6-9 hour project, you might be more RAM-bound than anything else. Check how much RAM EDIUS is using and how much is available.

As EDIUS is a 32-bit app, it won't be able to address more than 2GB, even in a 64-bit OS, but if your system is running low on memory in general while EDIUS is running, you might get a gain from switching to 64-bit Vista and reclaiming the extra ~700MB RAM you aren't using right now.

You may also try doing a single 3-hour sequence per-project, then putting them together afterward using Import Sequence. That might be a better workflow if it's feasible to do (not sure if/how your sequences interact).

Great meeting you too!

I could do a sequence-per-project, even though I'd prefer to keep it all together as still images from one sequence can be used on another sequence.

I just need slick editing response, like in the old days!
1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
Gigabit Ethernet
Old 05-02-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
pjsssss

Great seeing you there! Did I see you win one of the Edius give aways? As always Brandon's advice is sound. 6-9 hours is pretty long and the separate projects and then use import sequences might work better for you. Though I think you will see a pretty noticeable difference with the i7s.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
Raja

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
Great seeing you there! Did I see you win one of the Edius give aways? As always Brandon's advice is sound. 6-9 hours is pretty long and the separate projects and then use import sequences might work better for you. Though I think you will see a pretty noticeable difference with the i7s.
Cheers Pat! Nah, I must have missed the give aways. I gotta say, Vegas is awesome. The hotels there make UK hotels look like miniatures! I stopped at the Venetian and was VERY impressed.

I might try 1 sequence per project. Opening a 2 sequence project (seq 1 at 2hrs 28mins and seq 2 at 4hrs 56mins) makes edius.exe in task manager run at around 950,000K mem usage. I still have 2.2GB RAM available.

As you say, I think the i7's may solve the problem.
Gigabit Ethernet
Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
STORMDAVE

EDIUS does have a bit of a slow down even on a 4 hour timeline...I have a i7 and dual xeon setup here.

Usually when you have the waveform open, you should close it on such projects. Saving/loading will also be slow on large projects. Zooming in and out will be slow as well.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS