Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 AM   #11
antonsvideo

you did not expand the settings, here is what you should have, also, I need to see a screenshot of source clip properties, ideally with mediainfo in tree view
Attached Images
File Type: png AVP-0866.png (25.6 KB, 40 views)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:29 AM   #12
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427 View Post
I am trying to figure out why my processor is only at 73% (using taskmanager) while playing the timeline (4K project, 25p, rec 709, XAVC) and stuttering. It just can't cope with this and maybe with the processor at 100% it can. Internal memory is at 50%. I am using M2 SSD's.
I expected it to be at 100% when stuttering.
I tried Cinebench and it maxes out all cores at 100%. Edius is not, why?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Hi Chris.

One of my systems is near enough the same as yours, 9900 etc. I'm using E8.5 and I get 100% CPU utilisation when using UHD with XAVC S, XAVC and other h.264 based camera files even if the project is set to 10 bit. I will typically have PCC and layouter applied.

Even if I change to UHD sources in a 1080 timeline, I get the same results. My CPU ramps up to about 4.6 GHz, there's a varying load on my Nvidia GPU, presumably that's PCC and my Intel iGPU is about 20% for QS.

While I generally edit UHD, I'll get the same results with 4K as it's not that much more. If I go beyond PCC and layouter for a single video channel/track, I'll start losing realtime. If I'm just tipping the CPU with any small additions, dropping to 8 Bit sorts that out.

Using dissolves or applying more heavy effects, using more than one video channel/track or using Edius titles will tip it all right over the edge. In that instance I'll progressively go from dropping bit depth down through resolutions and will usually find something that maintains real time, all be it at less than ideal monitoring resolutions. I very rarely have to temp render.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave.

BTW. I wouldn't advise OC-ing. It's only likely to be small gains over turbo and at the expense of a stronger cooling system and possibly a truck load of grief depending on your bios and memory.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Last edited by Liverpool TV; 06-01-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
Cobra427

Anton,

sorry for the wrong picture. I have attached the correct one plus the Mediainfo of one of the clips.

Thanks John and Dave to confirm it is possible to get al least one layer 4K with the PCC on it in RT with this processor.

Now I still have to find the reason why mine does not go to 100% load in Edius. My Cinebench score is appr. 4640. This is ok for a system like this. I had it run for 15 min. with all the cores at 100%. I also used OCCT and this program also maxed out the cores to 100%. Both gave no errors.
I still wonder if there is a setting in Win10 or in Edius that is preventing my processor to go to 100% in Edius. Maybe there is something funny with my clips or projectsettings.
Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: png projectsettings.png (76.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Mediainfo.jpg (180.8 KB, 22 views)
System: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Win10, i9 9900K, 16 Gb RAM 3200MHz, M2 SSD 250Gb for OS and Edius, M2 SSD 500Gb for projectfiles, several HDD for archieving, dual screen Benq PD2700U, GTX1070, Corsair H115i Watercooling, E9.5WG, Mercalli V4, TPMG Authoring Works 5, Sony fdr-ax700
Cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
antonsvideo

your project settings are incorrect for the files used

please set the same as in my previous screenshot

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
edver1

I'm not sure,bud You mentioned that You have "several" HDD for Your'e clips.
That CPU has only 16 PCI lanes !
I have almost the same config ,CPU I9-9900K and one SSD (1TB) for programs one SSD as scratch disk (250 GB) one HDD ( 4TB ) for the clips and I'm able to see three ( 3 ) UHD clips (HQX) simultaneous,with pre render they playing very good, if there aren't to much effects in.
My buffer don't go to zero and my CPU doesn't go 100%.
For what it's worth ?
Edd
1 TB M2 Samsung SSD 970Pro
SSD OCZ 256MB
WD 4TB HDD
edver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
Cobra427

I changed it, but it does not make any difference. The processor is still at appr. 73% load when playing the timeline. The buffer very quickly drops to 1 and the stuttering starts.

Please help me understand better:
I am not using HDR, so why not leave the setting HDR/SDR gain at 'disable'?
Setting over scan size to 0% is better, but will not change the load on the processor.
Tone mapping = 'soft clip' instead of 'disable' will make things harder instead of easier. Why do I need it with these clips? (no broadcast delivery, just homeviewers)
Audio reference level - -12dB instead of -20dB. Does this make a difference to the load of the processor?
Resampling: 'Lanczos' instead of 'Area Average (fast and sharp)' is better, but heavier.

I am greatfull for your help, but believe these are not the things that can change the processor load to 100% instead of 73%, where other programs seem to have no problem in pushing the processor to 100%.

Chris
System: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Win10, i9 9900K, 16 Gb RAM 3200MHz, M2 SSD 250Gb for OS and Edius, M2 SSD 500Gb for projectfiles, several HDD for archieving, dual screen Benq PD2700U, GTX1070, Corsair H115i Watercooling, E9.5WG, Mercalli V4, TPMG Authoring Works 5, Sony fdr-ax700
Old 06-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
Liverpool TV

Quote:
I changed it, but it does not make any difference. The processor is still at appr. 73% load when playing the timeline. The buffer very quickly drops to 1 and the stuttering starts.

Please help me understand better:
I am not using HDR, so why not leave the setting HDR/SDR gain at 'disable'?
Setting over scan size to 0% is better, but will not change the load on the processor.
Tone mapping = 'soft clip' instead of 'disable' will make things harder instead of easier. Why do I need it with these clips? (no broadcast delivery, just homeviewers)
Audio reference level - -12dB instead of -20dB. Does this make a difference to the load of the processor?
Resampling: 'Lanczos' instead of 'Area Average (fast and sharp)' is better, but heavier.

I am greatfull for your help, but believe these are not the things that can change the processor load to 100% instead of 73%, where other programs seem to have no problem in pushing the processor to 100%.

Chris
Hi Chris.

None of those settings that you've mentioned will make any difference to your issue.

I'm not sure if I've seen any mention of your power options. Not that this should make a difference, but just in case. Set your CPU to minimum and maximum 100%. Like I say, it shouldn't really matter but it there's no harm trying.

Without having a system in front of you it's hard for anyone to say for sure what any issues are. But seeing as me and John are getting different results, it may be something within your hardware and/or software/setup that's not allowing full utilisation of your CPU.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #18
Cobra427

If the processor does not go to 100% load and disc usage is only 2% (M2 SSD) could it be there is a bottleneck somewhere else?
If so, what would be the most likely place to look?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
Liverpool TV

Quote:
If the processor does not go to 100% load and disc usage is only 2% (M2 SSD) could it be there is a bottleneck somewhere else?
If so, what would be the most likely place to look?
You're definitely not bottlenecking the video data itself, a typical mechanical drive could easily deal with that and any type of SSD would be substantially faster.

There could be a bottleneck in the processing but whatever the issue is, it's gonna be very difficult for anyone to diagnose that without getting their hands on your system.

What are the power management settings for your CPU and did you try my suggestion?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #20
John Lewis

I can do 4 UHD Layers with Layouter splitting the screen to 4 1/4s in RT
No Filters or PCC applied
My CPU runs at 100% Running at 4.3ghz
My intel GPU runs at 100%
The GTX 1070 TI runs at 35%
John Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories