Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
OneQuickSix

Default Canopus DV Codec not showing up in ULTRA2

For a long time now it seems like the Canopus DV codec has been showing up (for encoding) in almost every program I own. However, I just recently installed and started playing with Serious Magic Ultra 2 (after owning it for over a year ... I know, very sad) and it does not list the Canopus DV codec when exporting.

Does anyone know why? Is it a DirectShow issue or something? And, equally as important, am I losing out on quality by exporting to the MS DV codec intead? (Curiously, Edius sees it as Canopus DV Codec, but other programs such as Premiere reveal it's true nature.)

Thanks!

-Tim
OneQuickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
STORMDAVE

Use Microsoft DV, and no you're not losing quality. Better yet, use Canopus HQ if you can.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
OneQuickSix

Thanks for the fast reply, Dave! Yes, I've been using HQ in the meantime. I thought maybe there would be a file size penalty, but it appears to be about the same as DV. Are there any disadvantages to using the HQ codec? Does it hamper realtime performance on a DVStorm2 Edius3 system when editing maybe?

Anyone know why it doesn't show up in Ultra? I'm trying to find another program where it does not show up, and so far have come up empty (which is of course a good thing), and I have a LOT of apps.

-Tim

PS> Dave, did you get my PM?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
STORMDAVE

Hi Tim, yes I replied :)

There are more advantages to using Canopus HQ than DV. The file sizes should be similar to DV because CHQ is a variable codec and it has a 4:2:2 color space compared to DVs 4:1:1 (less color information). So use Canopus HQ and skip DV entirely, it looks much better....if you want to go back to DV tape, just load the CHQ file in EDIUS and print to DV tape from a DV project.

Canopus HQ files should have similar performance to DV.

I remember when I used to use Ultra 2, I had problems with Canopus DV.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
OneQuickSix

Thanks again, Dave! CHQ it is, at the very least with Ultra anyway. I'll try some "timeline heavy" projects in Edius with CHQ and see if my buffer drains.

-Tim
Old 06-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

IMHO, the only disadvantage of Canopus HQ is that it's Windows-only and not all programs like to play with it (mostly the types that restrict themselves to HDV, DV and uncompressed). It's a great codec to use for both (practical) archiving and intermediate renders.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
OneQuickSix

Thanks for the input, Brandon. While we're on the subject, what advantages does the HQ codec offer over the Canopus DV codec, other than the enhanced color space -- if any? (Not that the enhanced CS isn't enough!) :)

-Tim
Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Support for alpha channel and it's variable bitrate.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
OneQuickSix

DOH! Forgot about the alpha (that IS nice). The VBR sounds familiar, but truly did not realize that -- guess that accounts for the comparable file sizes, eh?

Take care,
Tim
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

VBR means that if the image gets overly complex, it can bump up the bitrate to ensure you still have a good encoded image.

Of course the flip-side is that you can only predict file sizes within a window and not exactly.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS