Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
JTE48

Default Edius - Procoder - FCP

I suppose this is more of a Procoder question so I'll post here. I'm sending a client in the UK some Edius HDV edited footage but they want it in quicktime format for their FCP editor. Using Procoder 3 (which I'll have in a few days), what would be the best export settings/codec? I captured the footage with the Canopus HQ preset, edited, then exported to a m2t file using speed encoder. Will it be possible to export directly to a quicktime format from the timeline with Procoder 3?

Edius 5.51, I7 980x Hex Core, 3.33 GHz, 12GB DDR3, HD Spark, 250GB SSD, Win7 64 bit, 4x2TB RAID 5 eSATA array (200-225mb/sec), 4 hot swappable internal SATAII misc.. drives; Cams: Panasonic AG-DVX200, Go Pro; Edius 5.51/HP 8710W & 17 in mid 2010 MBP/Adobe CC suite.
JTE48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Why can't they just import the native M2T file you exported? That's probably the best workflow.

Honestly, there's no real way of exporting HD .MOV wrapped video from EDIUS (or any Windows app) that I know of. Typically a Windows>FCP workflow requires DV, MPEG-2 or uncompressed.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Mr Bill

I encoded a small clip to test it in FCP 5

I exported a m2t file using speed encoder.
FCP 5 did not accept it, maybe I did something wrong or version 5 wont import m2t files....not sure there

So I then exported a HD .mov file from Procoder 3 and FCP recognised, imported and played it.
Even though FCP could only play about a frame every 15seconds or so.
Pretty shocking performance from my PowerMac G5

The HD .mov file could not be played on my PC, but once it was on my mac, Quicktime played it smoothly.

Here's the settings I used.

I would recommend you encode a 1 second clip and email them the file to see how their System/FCP reacts to it.

Bill :)

Last edited by Mr Bill; 05-17-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
JTE48

I have two clients actually that are asking for Quicktime format. I think neither of them are really familiar with native m2t files. A lot of times I deal with producers (instead of editors) that are not that well HD versed.

One client is asking for quicktime format because their new HD editing and archiving system is based on the quicktime DVC Pro 100 codec. I FTP them breaking news video. In the not too long ago SD days life was simple - just encode a SD DV file to mpeg2 and upload it. After reading your post, I got to thinking why couldn't they ingest an m2t file and did some more inquiring. Turns out they will be using a transcoder called "flip factory" to get files to the native house format for editing. I called up the folks there and indeed, it will "flip" m2t files. Good. Now the other problem here is getting the file size down to something I can upload in a reasonable amount of time. A 1 min. hdv test clip was a 200 MB m2t file !! A quicktime or other format option may be necessary in cases where my upload speed is not fast enough.

The second client is a stock footage agent that also uses FCP as their editor. They want me to put my HD quicktime footage on a big hard drive. This saves them a lot of work because I have over 6 hours of edited footage to send them. If FCP won't import m2t files as your test indicates then I'll have to think about the Quicktime route. I'll have Procoder 3 Monday and can play around with it then. Thanks for the settings!

Edius 5.51, I7 980x Hex Core, 3.33 GHz, 12GB DDR3, HD Spark, 250GB SSD, Win7 64 bit, 4x2TB RAID 5 eSATA array (200-225mb/sec), 4 hot swappable internal SATAII misc.. drives; Cams: Panasonic AG-DVX200, Go Pro; Edius 5.51/HP 8710W & 17 in mid 2010 MBP/Adobe CC suite.

Last edited by JTE48; 05-17-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE48 View Post
If FCP won't import m2t files as your test indicates then I'll have to think about the Quicktime route.
Hi Jim,

I own FCP 5, the latest version is 6.

I think FCP 6 imports and plays m2t files.

Maybe someone who has version 6 can help out here. . .
Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
JTE48

Bill,

I did a search and found info on the DV forum which said FCP 6 will not play m2t files. Some folks were using MPEG StreamClip to convert to quicktime. I recall trying that program once and it took forever! So I'm going to have to go the Edius -Procoder - Quicktime route which is fine with me. Timewise it's probably going to be the same as exporting from timeline to m2t I would think.

I was just wondering why you chose the Rhozet encoder in your test. Is that the latest and greatest quicktime encoder presently? I see on the edius speed encoder site that even Speed Encoder for HDV is based on Grid Encoding Technology from Rhozet Corporation.

Last edited by JTE48; 05-18-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
Mr Bill

Quote:
So I'm going to have to go the Edius -Procoder - Quicktime route which is fine with me.
Timewise it's probably going to be the same as exporting from timeline to m2t I would think.
Yes, that's what my small test showed.

Quote:
I was just wondering why you chose the Rhozet encoder in your test.
Is that the latest and greatest quicktime encoder presently?
I see on the edius speed encoder site that even Speed Encoder for HDV
is based on Grid Encoding Technology from Rhozet Corporation.
I don't know if it's the latest & greatest but it sure is FAST!
Using the 'Rhozet Encoder' for a SD DVD will use ALL 4 CPU's of my Quad Processor.
So one hour of video will take only 20min to encode.

By the way Jim, I went to your website....WOW!
Man I can't believe what you do, I would love to join you one of these days.
What you see & feel on the job must make you feel so alive and
I am guessing scare the life out of you at times too.

Stay safe my friend.

Bill :)
Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
JTE48

Bill:

I just heard back from my client in the UK today. The HD Qucktime file with the PC3 Rhozet encoder looked fine to them. Now I can convert the rest of my stock hd footage for them. Thanks for helping me out to "hit the ground running" when the PC3 came in the mail yesterday. PC3's multiformat batch encoding is perfect for all the files I have to convert for this client. They could certainly do it themselves from tape but it would take forever.

Last edited by JTE48; 05-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder