Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Belphegor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milan
Posts: 27
Default 3D PiP issues

Hello.
I'm a long time DVStorm2 user and Edius editor since 2.0 version.

I got the last Edius 4.51 from a friend of mine to do some test mainly to see if the 3D PiP issues of the previous versions are solved in the new release.
Badly, I have to say that the old 3D PiP issues are still alive in the actual Edius 4.51.

I better explain:

1)with 3D Pip you cannot modify the lenght of the PiP leaving the height unchanged. Pratically, with 3D PiP you can scale (pan/zoom) the image always proportionally in lenght and height. More, you cannot have a round or oval PiP or a rectangular Pip. You can only work on a squared PiP;

2)with 3D PiP you cannot apply a Page-Turn filter correctly to graphics because a small black line stays visible on the bottom border of the picture while the Page-Turn is on the go. This is clearly due to a bad Alpha handling of the filter. Example: create a title and put it on V1 track. Apply a 3D PiP to scale it down, then apply a Page-Turn filter. The result is a title with Alpha with the visible black bottom line of the video right where the Page-Turn begins;

3)with 3D PiP you cannot see the timeline layers above the one you are setting up. Briefly you have no in-context editing feel allowing you to see all the tracks. Example: if you stack clips on V1, V2, v3 tracks and apply 3D PiP to each of them and put them to different corners of the monitors, if you are working with settings of the 3D PiP in the V2 layer, you only see V1 track and not V3 track.
This is awful because this enforce you to enter in each track to fine position the 3D Pip;

5)with 3D PiP you cannot use graphics with its original size because 3D PiP always resamples the graphics to project settings. Simply it is not possible to pan/zoom graphics in 3D space maintaining the original size and this forces you to pay in quality and sharpness.

Now it is easy to say you have to use Imaginate to workaround these issues.
But all the modern video editor software can now easily perform the features mentioned above.
With Edius, still nowadays, you have to use external software like Imaginate, even if it's a plugin, to achieve the goal.

Will release 5 of Edius finally solve these weirdness?
Belphegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
medeamajic
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Default

I hear you 100%. Trying to use a page peel transition or even rotating a title will leave the real fine black border you see. I agree photo images should stay in their original size. I think Edius has a lot of realtime but the realtime is limited. With Premiere Pro you can apply transition to the titles but only a select few transition work work for titles in Edius. I was hoping for Edius 5.0 at NAB but it was hinted by one of the moderator this will not happen. I think I will invest in the CS3 package from Adobe after NAB. Edius is fast but I find there are many things I want to do in Edius but I can not do them because of the way Edius works. I know I can get Boris FX and I did buy it but I sold it. Using Boris FX kills the RT of Edius so I figured I might as well just use Premiere Pro. Edius has some good RT horse power but it is lacking in features.
medeamajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
pjsssss
Senior Member
 
pjsssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 4,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeamajic View Post
I hear you 100%. With Premiere Pro you can apply transition to the titles but only a select few transition work work for titles in Edius.
You can use a title in any V or VA track and use any of the normal transitions.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Khoi Pham
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belphegor View Post
Hello.
I'm a long time DVStorm2 user and Edius editor since 2.0 version.

I got the last Edius 4.51 from a friend of mine to do some test mainly to see if the 3D PiP issues of the previous versions are solved in the new release.
Badly, I have to say that the old 3D PiP issues are still alive in the actual Edius 4.51.

I better explain:

1)with 3D Pip you cannot modify the lenght of the PiP leaving the height unchanged. Pratically, with 3D PiP you can scale (pan/zoom) the image always proportionally in lenght and height. More, you cannot have a round or oval PiP or a rectangular Pip. You can only work on a squared PiP;

2)with 3D PiP you cannot apply a Page-Turn filter correctly to graphics because a small black line stays visible on the bottom border of the picture while the Page-Turn is on the go. This is clearly due to a bad Alpha handling of the filter. Example: create a title and put it on V1 track. Apply a 3D PiP to scale it down, then apply a Page-Turn filter. The result is a title with Alpha with the visible black bottom line of the video right where the Page-Turn begins;

3)with 3D PiP you cannot see the timeline layers above the one you are setting up. Briefly you have no in-context editing feel allowing you to see all the tracks. Example: if you stack clips on V1, V2, v3 tracks and apply 3D PiP to each of them and put them to different corners of the monitors, if you are working with settings of the 3D PiP in the V2 layer, you only see V1 track and not V3 track.
This is awful because this enforce you to enter in each track to fine position the 3D Pip;

5)with 3D PiP you cannot use graphics with its original size because 3D PiP always resamples the graphics to project settings. Simply it is not possible to pan/zoom graphics in 3D space maintaining the original size and this forces you to pay in quality and sharpness.

Now it is easy to say you have to use Imaginate to workaround these issues.
But all the modern video editor software can now easily perform the features mentioned above.
With Edius, still nowadays, you have to use external software like Imaginate, even if it's a plugin, to achieve the goal.

Will release 5 of Edius finally solve these weirdness?
Yeah I agree 3D PIP needs alot of work but for now.
1. go to crop and uncheck resize for cropping,
use a sphere effect for round PIP, keyframe it so that the size stay the same and shift Q it then use can use 3DPIP
2. I don't see the lines, make sure that you set overscan size to 0 % in project settings.
3. Make sure you have "combine filter layers and track layers" check in Settings/Playback, this will allow you to see all layers and filters when adjusting them.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
medeamajic
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Yeah I agree 3D PIP needs alot of work but for now.
1. go to crop and uncheck resize for cropping,
use a sphere effect for round PIP, keyframe it so that the size stay the same and shift Q it then use can use 3DPIP
2. I don't see the lines, make sure that you set overscan size to 0 % in project settings.
3. Make sure you have "combine filter layers and track layers" check in Settings/Playback, this will allow you to see all layers and filters when adjusting them.
It is when you rotate a 3D PIP on the Z plane that you see the fine black lines (Edius 3.5).
medeamajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
medeamajic
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
You can use a title in any V or VA track and use any of the normal transitions.
If I use the band slide transition with a title the video underneith slides with the title. Even if the title is in track 5 and the video is in track 1. Other transition work the same way with Edius but a few do work like in Premiere. With Premiere all transitions just affect the title and not the video.
medeamajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
GrassValley_MD
Mike Downey... The Jollymon
 
GrassValley_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lehi, Ut
Posts: 968
Default

We are aware of this. I have been asking about it for a while now. :)


Mike
GrassValley_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
Khoi Pham
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeamajic View Post
It is when you rotate a 3D PIP on the Z plane that you see the fine black lines (Edius 3.5).
You probably had "apply antialias filter to transition" check, when you apply an effect to the title, if so uncheck it and you will not see the line.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #9
jdroadie
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 93
Default what about alpha

using 3d PIP: is it possible for shadow to see actual alpha from a still grahic?, say a logo...when you apply drop shadow or borders it applies these to the video frame. I would like it to use the alpha from the grahic...is this possible....
jdroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
GrassValley_MD
Mike Downey... The Jollymon
 
GrassValley_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lehi, Ut
Posts: 968
Default

Like I said before... We are very aware of this and looking at it at this time.


Mike
GrassValley_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
 
Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3d PiP rendering Geoff Editing with EDIUS 6 01-18-2009 11:33 PM
Edois version 5: 3D PiP issues and no improvements Belphegor Editing with EDIUS 6 10-08-2008 02:01 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Copyright 2014 Belden Inc. All rights reserved.