Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
TimCart

Default advice for capture

Hi.
I gave my daughter an old optura 100 to start on. We are going on vacation and I am taking my laptop. What I need is suggestions on a solution to install on my laptop, so that I can capture her video from the minidv disks on the camcorder to my laptop for storage until I get home to edit with Edius..I have Edius all the way to v 5. so basically i need a solution to just get the dv from the minidv tape to laptop for storage till end of vacation. I have an OHCI compliant firewire card, but no specific "capture" card. I have the mini firewire port on it.

I think Edius will allow the capture but I don't want to load all of Edius onto the laptop just to capture dv for storage unless it is the only option.

Is it? Or can anyone suggest another? I read about SCLive here but when I went to the page, it appears to not have been updated since 05 or before. Is this still a viable option or is there a better one?

I want to capture it as it is from the tape with no loss of quality, audio synch probs or anything. I know I used to do it on my desktop with the storm but haven't captured for years as I use the firestore Direct to disk option.

I don't want to buy a bunch of minidv tapes for her to learn on. So that is why need a simple good solution to capture to laptop. Thanks for the help in advance...t
TimCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Jeff Chandler

You could use Windows Moviemaker for capture. SCLive would work fine,too. There haven't been any updates because there's no need for SD DV.
Jeff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
swsw1550

As mentioned Windows movie maker or if you want to spend $120 you could get Cineform Neo Scene which will allow you to capture in cineform AVI which works fine in Edius.

Steve
Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
pjsssss

You could try DV Capture from the registered users site. I think it is still there. I don't remember if it will run on a system without Edius, but you can try.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Jeff Chandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
You could try DV Capture from the registered users site. I think it is still there. I don't remember if it will run on a system without Edius, but you can try.
Unless something has changed, it won't run.
Jeff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
TimCart

Thanks so much all for the help and advice. I kinda figured that on the SCLive updates but was not sure. I had read about windows movie maker....My concern is this is her first time trying to shoot video and don't want to lose any quality so she has everything she can to work with it in case she has a wrong setting..chuckling...these kids grow fast!

Thanks again so much, will check out all suggestions and choose a couple routes just in case, as a backup...t
TimCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
pachycephalic

Best free program I ever used for quick simple capture of dv footage was always WinDV as seen http://www.videohelp.com/tools/WinDV

Thoroughly recommended.
pachycephalic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products