Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
JackB

Default Monitor/LCD specs to view HDStorm HDMI 24p output?

In a recent thread, KH said that as of Edius 5.01, according to GV engineering, the HDStorm will output true HD 24p in the standard pixel formats.

========================================
Here is a quote of KH from another post:

Good, but strange news: HDSTORM actually supports true 24p output for the following frame sizes, on the EDIUS v5.01 timeline:

- 1920 x 1080/23.98p
- 1440 x 1080/23.98p
- 1280 x 1080/23.98p

HDSTORM actually does not support "xx-over-xx" presets at this time, but can be engineered to do so. Currently there is no ETA on if/when this will change.

However, the same card will no output 24p as XX over XX as the NX card will.
[Note: I'm not sure, but think the last entry above should be "1280 x 720/23.98p."

If I want to view a 24p HD timeline over HDMI using the HDStorm card, what specs does the LCD have to have?

Are we talking about things like Panasonic's MotionPicturePro, Samsung's AutoMotionPlus, and Sony's MotionFlow?

Are we looking for an LCD that plays BlueRay true 24p? If so, what LCDs are these?

Will a modern day LCD take the 24p signal out of HDStorm and display it on a regular 60hz LCD?

All the pro monitors that take 24p require HDSDI, so out of the HDStorm it would be necessary to add an HDMI to HDSDI converter, etc. And the pro monitors are not what I need, and they are much more expensive.

Bottom line, what viewing devices does GV expect the 24p output of the HDStorm to be veiwed on?

Thank you for any insight and guidance.

Last edited by JackB; 01-09-2009 at 07:34 PM.
JackB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
[Note: I'm not sure, but think the last entry above should be "1280 x 720/23.98p."
Not a typo - that's how it's written in the spec I was given. That is, there isn't a 1280x720/23.98p preset with HDSTORM.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

1280x1080 is DVCPRO HD resolution.

As for 24p monitors, there aren't many CRTs that are 24p-friendly though there was a Sony one that only took 24p... but that was HD-SDI I believe.

On the LCD side, definitely get a 120Hz monitor. Otherwise you're going to see skipping due to the fact that 24 doesn't divide evenly into 60. 72Hz would work for 24p, but not for 30p or 60p. 120 Hz works for 24p, 30p and 60p.

On the flip-side, a non-120Hz monitor (assuming it accepts the 24p input) will show you what "the folks in the cheap seats" will see.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
JackB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
Not a typo - that's how it's written in the spec I was given. That is, there isn't a 1280x720/23.98p preset with HDSTORM.
What format is 1280/1080/23.98p? Who uses this and for what purpose? Is it possible the specification page is wrong, just as some of the specifications listed on the Canopus sales pages are wrong?

And the way this page seems to be wrong, giving the price and Canopus Manufacturer number for one product and the specifications for another product?:
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/pr...y/EDIUS/949425

=============================================
Why was this thread moved. I posted in the section described as: 'Section for desktop/professional users to discuss use of EDIUS software and related hardware.:

Was the post moved because I haven't purchased the product yet? I am looking for someone who has is actually using and HDStorm for 24p and can tell me what kind of setup I need.

The description for this section said it was for third-party computer harware such as motherboards and videocards. That not what I'm asking about.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Is there a dealer in the Southern California area who has a working HDStorm setup who can show me a 24p workflow and monitor system?

I checked the compatible hardware list at the top of the forum, but the link goes nowhere. Where do I find a list of HDStorm compatible monitoring solutions for a 24p workflow?

(I called videoguys, but they said they dropped all Canopus/GV products about 3 months ago. What is the situation?)
==================================

I understand that Canopus/Grass Valley Edius is a closed system, and since I work a lot with AfterEffects for effects and color correction, Edius may not be the best solution for me. However, it still does not seem unreasonable to get some basic information without a lot of comments about being off topic and having threads moved out of what would be the appropriate section by the description on the section heading.

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
JackB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
1280x1080 is DVCPRO HD resolution.

As for 24p monitors, there aren't many CRTs that are 24p-friendly though there was a Sony one that only took 24p... but that was HD-SDI I believe.

On the LCD side, definitely get a 120Hz monitor. Otherwise you're going to see skipping due to the fact that 24 doesn't divide evenly into 60. 72Hz would work for 24p, but not for 30p or 60p. 120 Hz works for 24p, 30p and 60p.

On the flip-side, a non-120Hz monitor (assuming it accepts the 24p input) will show you what "the folks in the cheap seats" will see.
Thank you for the clear response. You were typing as I was typing it seems.

But based on what KH said about the specs, it would seem that I can't view a 1280x720/23.976 timeline anyway... unless there is some interpolation the card does or something.

Perhaps Edius is not good for 24p. I originally was going to use Composer, but last time I looked it lacked some of the small camera format support I need (and Edius has).
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
But based on what KH said about the specs, it would seem that I can't view a 1280x720/23.976 timeline anyway... unless there is some interpolation the card does or something.
This is correct, in its present form. The hardware can be engineered to provide 1280x720/23.98p-over-59.94i output (as its new HDMI contemporaries can do), but there is no current plan for when something like this might eventuate.

In situations that require a 1280x720/23.98p timeline, you can still create a project with those settings, but it'll be within the OHCI-based preset (ie. no HD monitoring output). You can try this out now with the 30-day free trial.

Fyi, I shifted the post since the initial subject and questions were asking about monitors to use with HDSTORM - this falls under third-party hardware. It certainly doesn't make your question any less important/relevant.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories