Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius 9 & 8 titles resize between HD and 4K/UHD monitor resolutions.

Hi.

I've just come across an issue with Edius 9 that's also the same in 8. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, I've had a look around but couldn't find anything on it.

When using titles that are generated inside of Edius, they will change position and size depending on the resolution of the monitor.

Opening up a project on a monitor set to HD will show titles in different positions and sizes compared to opening up the project on a monitor set to 4K/UHD resolution.

I've just changed to two 4K/UHD monitors for my Edius setup, which is when I've noticed the issue.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:50 AM   #2
antonsvideo

you have two choices

1. set desktop scaling of all monitors to 100%

2. save the titles in etl2 format
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/edius90/etl2.png

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:03 AM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
you have two choices

1. set desktop scaling of all monitors to 100%

2. save the titles in etl2 format
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/edius90/etl2.png
Alright Anton.

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, neither option will work for me. I can't view comfortably at 100% and changing the format will be too much hassle across all the projects and the composite title sets I use.

For anything new though, I can use the etl2 format, so thanks for that.

Can etl2 be set as the default anywhere in Edius? I can't seem to find that in Quick Title itself.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 AM   #4
antonsvideo

the only way to set it as default is by adding a blank title to the bin that is saved as etl2, then drag it to timeline and change text and then use autosave as (Ctrl+Shift+S)

however, I use Vistitler which does not suffer from this desktop resolution issue, an unfixable issue with QT

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
Old 08-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
basjoe

This is news to me. I've created quite a few 4k family videos with my GH5, which at the moment have only been viewed on our domestic 1080p TV. So, you are saying that when I eventually get a 4k TV, the titling will be screwed up ? What does it look like ? Smaller/larger ? How does the position change ?

Best Regards
Graham
Edit System : EDIUS 8.53WG ** Windows 10 Professional 64 ** 32GB Ram ** i7-5820K @ 4.2ghz ** Asus X99-S M/B ** 128, 256, and 512 gb SSDs ** GTX970 (Nvidia) 4GB Graphics ** Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio i/face ** Soundsystem Leak Stereo20, Quad ESL57s, REL subbass. ** Cubase Pro 8.5

HTPC : Windows 10 64 ** 12GB Ram ** i7-930 ** GA-X58A-UD3R M/B ** 3 x 2TB WD drives ** GTX460 (Nvidia) 1024mb Graphics, ** via HDMI to Panasonic P42G20B 42" Plasma TV in another room.

Cameras : GH5, TM700
basjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoe View Post
This is news to me. I've created quite a few 4k family videos with my GH5, which at the moment have only been viewed on our domestic 1080p TV. So, you are saying that when I eventually get a 4k TV, the titling will be screwed up ? What does it look like ? Smaller/larger ? How does the position change ?

Best Regards
Graham
nope, no issue at all in your case, the issue is when you create a title with QT with desktop scaling at 100% and then open that project on a different PC with desktop scaling of more than 100%, your titles will be blown to kingdom come

the same goes the other way, if title created in QT with desktop scaling like 250% and then when you open that project on a PC with 100% scaling, you will need to wear a helmet in case you fall over backwards and hit your head

this was never an issue in the old days because every PC was set to 100% scaling, UHD PC monitors destroyed all this

I personally will never use a UHD monitor for a desktop

Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
basjoe

Hang on a sec. I created a master HQX of each video, which I then processed with Handbrake to create an mp4. The titles are in the desired/expected position. At least when viewed on a 1080p TV. The etl quicktitler files have been left behind, so I can't quite see how they can influence playback any more. Or am I being dense ?

Whoops sorry, crossed post ! Thanks for the reply !

Best Regards
Graham
Edit System : EDIUS 8.53WG ** Windows 10 Professional 64 ** 32GB Ram ** i7-5820K @ 4.2ghz ** Asus X99-S M/B ** 128, 256, and 512 gb SSDs ** GTX970 (Nvidia) 4GB Graphics ** Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio i/face ** Soundsystem Leak Stereo20, Quad ESL57s, REL subbass. ** Cubase Pro 8.5

HTPC : Windows 10 64 ** 12GB Ram ** i7-930 ** GA-X58A-UD3R M/B ** 3 x 2TB WD drives ** GTX460 (Nvidia) 1024mb Graphics, ** via HDMI to Panasonic P42G20B 42" Plasma TV in another room.

Cameras : GH5, TM700
basjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
antonsvideo

yes, you are being dense :)

ignore the entire thread as it has no bearing in your case

Last edited by antonsvideo; 08-21-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
antonsvideo

it is very easy to see the Quicktitler issue in EDIUS preview, follow these steps

1. open EDIUS and create a title and center it
2. close EDIUS
3. change desktop scaling from say 100% to 200% etc.
4. start EDIUS and look at your title
5. be sure to flush after vomiting

Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
the only way to set it as default is by adding a blank title to the bin that is saved as etl2, then drag it to timeline and change text and then use autosave as (Ctrl+Shift+S)

however, I use Vistitler which does not suffer from this desktop resolution issue, an unfixable issue with QT
Alright Anton.

Thanks for that, too much hassle for me though even if a templated project were used thereís still manual stages. Too much risk for me that something would get missed easily when in a rush.

Iíll just chalk it up to another legacy issue with Edius, although itís going to be a huge problem moving forward.

Although I canít understand why certain issues exist with Edius, especially as it matures and is expected to work within certain post environments. Itís probably likely that certain legacy issues will never be sorted.

Cheers,
Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS