Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Bassman

Default Help with Mono/Stereo Management

Hello,

With the improved VST support in Edius 7 I have begun to not export my audio for processing and do everything inside of Edius. This is a great thing and I hope GV gives us a better mixer going forward to further support this workflow.

What I would like to ask the community is for some tips on managing mono and stereo timelines and material.

For example:

I often shoot live events and I either come home with one channel I want to keep or two separate channels like a live mic and a mixing board feed etc...

My workflow inside Edius is to have one timeline dedicated to camera files. This is where I do all of my syncing, color correction, trimming of the fat and audio processing. Since my recordings are all long GOP encoding, I usually make a new sequence for each camera so I have one long clip for multicam use. All of the camera sequences are then put on a new timeline for easy and clean editing.

Anyway, I make the "Raw Files" timeline dual mono so the camera audio tracks show up on A1 and A2 separated for separate processing. So each individual track gets sent to BOTH speakers.

What is messing me up is thinking if I need to make every timeline dual mono?

How does everybody handle this? It seems that once you decide to process audio in Edius it is best not to go back to stereo. If I add a new timeline to the bin I can throw it on a stereo timeline but I won't be able to see the waveform while editing.

Does one mono track equal the output of a stereo track once it is exported?

Complicated but I am a little unsure how Edius handles this mono/stereo thing upon output.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
GrassValley_SL

Yo can change the setting of the sequence map so for example channel 1 will be output on 1 and 2
Go in the advance settings and change it accordingly.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Bassman

Hello Steve. I mentioned that I already do this in my post... What is confusing me is having multiple timelines within a project and how mono material is best handled between them on to output.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
GrassValley_SL

In that case change the default map for projects and all your project will use that mapping, Or a preset which can load when needed is also an option. (sometimes better)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Bassman

Thanks for your help but I think you are missing my point here. I am looking for editing practices. How people handle this in their workflow.

When I never used Edius for audio all my files were stereo on one track so it was easy. Now that I have mono tracks I don't know the best way to approach the situation.

1) If I edit using one track of mono audio will that have the same output power as if that track was edited with a stereo track (upon output)?

2)Do I need to "double up" the mono tracks to equal a stereo track from Edius' point of view?

3) How does Edius handle a single mono track when exporting?

This would all go away if we could see the wave forms in nested timelines :)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
kpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
This would all go away if we could see the wave forms in nested timelines
Thats 100% correct.
I have written some months ago to GV where I asked this (and some other) missing feature should be implemented.
No one knows if and when such missing features would/could be implemented. Maybe in the next version ????

BTW: Premiere Pro has this feature implemented. But that does not help much when I am working with Edius.

Regards kurt
Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro (V-1809) / EDIUS-9.40 WG / Mercalli V2 and V4 Plugin (64bit) / Zonealarm(Firewall etc) / ImgBurn / PhantomDrive / PowerDVD etc.
// Read > Test > Understand
kpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
GrassValley_PS

Tim,
By default, I set up all of my tracks as mono because I want to have the ability to export discrete audio as needed. Depending on whether I want to keep the audio separate for archival purposes, I don't touch the default. This will also allow you the option in the sequence to change it if you want the audio to mixdown together on export.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
Andreas_Gumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
This would all go away if we could see the wave forms in nested timelines :)
Thats 100% correct.
I have written some months ago to GV where I asked this (and some other) missing feature should be implemented.
No one knows if and when such missing features would/could be implemented. Maybe in the next version ????

BTW: Premiere Pro has this feature implemented. But that does not help much when I am working with Edius.
Agree 200 %! ;) It has been missed since years.
I'm nesting sequences of finally assembled & edited audio video parts much often to edit electronic press kits from the whole movie.
I feel always blind in the nested one.

Andreas
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #9
Khoi Pham

If I understood you right, if you have one wireless on left channel and another wireless on right channel of your recording, sometimes you just want to keep the left channel and output it as stereo? if so just make sure that all of the Audio track on the timeline is set to stereo, put your audio file that has both wireless mic on it and if you just want to keep the left one and output it to stereo, click ALT+Enter and go into its property and click on left mono and your are done, your left channel will not output as stereo, same step if you want to keep your right channel but not the left channel, or if you want both but want to independently control each channel, edit, eq... then put the audio file on one audio track and AlT + Enter and choose left mono, drag the same file up onto another audio track and ALT + Enter and choose right mono and apply, so now you have 2 audio file on 2 audio track, one is from your left wireless and one is from your right wireless that you can edit separately and they will both output to both speakers.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #10
Bassman

Thanks for your replies.

How does Edius handle mono track output to say a normal stereo Canopus HQ file? I just need a little more confidence to know what is happening from the program's point of view. Does it double the single track to fill in the empty other channel to make the stereo image?

The other day I brought in an HQ file to a timeline that was set to all mono. The file's audio was split into two mono channels. This made it difficult to do a lot of editing as you had two audio tracks to work the rubber bands with and manage VST effects.

What do you do in this situation?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS