Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
ndustri

Default Edius 6.01 and M-Audio ProFire 610 Problem!

Ok, this one is getting me... I've been trying out Edius 6 to determine if it is the ultimate solution for me, but getting audio set up has been strange. First, quick setup details:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, all updates
Intel i7 920, 12GB RAM, Quadro 2000
M-Audio ProFire 610

This audio device has 4 balanced channels in, 10 channels out. 2 of those 10 outs are spdif. The other 8 are each balanced analog.

I'm trying Edius 6.01 and the first time I installed it I could NOT get any audio out no matter what I did. I also could not find any audio hardware setup settings anywhere, only channel mapping, and nothing there worked.

So I uninstalled Edius and reinstalled. This time I have audio! However, I also have some really horrible and loud distortion being output to channel 9 (spdif output) when I have any audio output to channels 1 through 8.

I see the channel mapping correctly sees the first 8 channels of my interface and routes to them properly when I mess with it, but it doesn't see 9 or 10.

I hope this makes sense to someone, I can take a screenshot of the problem if it would help and I'm not really using 9 or 10 so I don't hear the feedback/distortion, but I know it is there when I look at my ProFire routing panel and the audio meter on channel 9 is hitting the ceiling... something is clearly wrong.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sean
ndustri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

EDIUS doesn't have direct visibility to your audio hardware.
Essentially you choose where the audio from each timeline track goes in the (up to 8) audio output channels.

How your audio hardware takes those output audio channels from EDIUS and routes them to its physical connections is up to however your audio hardware's mixer works.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
ndustri

Thanks a lot for the reply... Ok, I understand that (I guess it was coincidental there are 8 max outputs and that is the number of analog outs I have so I was making assumptions).

Now, this doesn't explain why loud distortion is played through the 9th output in Edius. And it is ONLY Edius that is doing this and only when I have audio in the timeline. I have not seen this behavior in any other editing/audio software I use. I have made sure Edius is the only thing running on a fresh reboot so something else couldn't have been holding onto the audio driver somehow.

Let me ask this... does Edius output audio via WDM drivers or will it use available ASIO drivers for a particular device? I'm just trying to pin down where the problem COULD be and not having any settings for audio hardware makes it difficult.

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

EDIUS doesn't support ASIO at this time, so it's using the WDM driver.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
SoundFreak
Banned

You might want to use up to date drivers for your device, your stuck how ever with 2 in 2 out using windows internal mixer / routing until Edius matures and finally supports ASIO.

I use since many yeas a 18 input / 22 output interface that I enjoy with many software to it's full capabilities, Edius however is not one of them.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
ndustri

Yeah I am using the latest drivers...

Now that I know Edius uses the WDM driver I can maybe try to narrow it down. Or it could just be that particular driver and Edius don't play nice and I don't want blame one or the other.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
SoundFreak
Banned

The drivers are ok, normally it's advised to use the interface drivers with waveRT.

Make sure the in & outputs are set to line signal and not mic.
Also lower the gain settings in the interface mixer settings.
If all is line signal there should be no distortion.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
ndustri

I think I need to clarify what I'm talking about... Here are a couple screen caps with something I discovered tonight.

First one: My project is set to 48Khz/8Ch with the Channel mapping set to one stereo output on channels 1 and 2. When I listen to channels 1 and 2 on the ProFire, nice clean music, but as you can see, channel 9 is outputting pure noise and distortion.

Second: I change the project to 48Khz/4Ch and Channel mapping still one stereo output on 1 and 2. Now check this out:

Now I have still have nice clean music on 1 and 2, but now I have noise and distortion on 5 AND 9. See the correlation? Noise is being sent out one channel over my project setting. Channels 1 and 2 output great clean sound. I even set the channel mapping to output the same stereo track to 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 on the 8 channel setting and it was totally fine, but still the noise on the ninth channel was there. I've tried different channel mappings, mono, stereo tracks, wavs, mp3s, 44.1, 48, you name it.

Does this impact the end product? Not at all, I just think I have found a bug at least with this piece of hardware/drivers which are the latest.

Any other ideas anyone? I hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
SoundFreak
Banned

As Edius can only use 2 in and 2 out due to the limitation of the audio driver used this can only be either a windows or m-audio setting issue.
What is set in windows is not always followed by the interface mixer and vice versa.

Reset your mix busses in your interface software and dubbel check windows mixer settings that there is no loop back of some sort.

I put my moneyb
Old 01-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
SoundFreak
Banned

As Edius can only use 2 in and 2 out due to the limitation of the audio driver used this can only be either a windows or m-audio setting issue.
What is set in windows is not always followed by the interface mixer and vice versa.

Reset your mix busses in your interface software and dubbel check windows mixer settings that there is no loop back of some sort.

I put my money on the mix bus re-routing things where it should not go.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories