Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #31
tingsern

No such thing exists for P2 ... Panasonic cameras won't work if you use anything other than P2 cards. The hack only works for Sony EX1 and EX3 cameras.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
burnandreturn

OK, got it. But if I would buy the Sony will the transfer speed be affected significantly?
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #33
tingsern

Sorry - I can't tell you that. I don't use EX1 or EX3. But, I don't think the speed is limited by the adapter - which is just some wires with a converter chip. It is more the SDHC card that will impose the limits to writing - Class 6 SDHC is the fastest available - with a write speed of minimum of 6 MB/sec (48 Mbits/sec). The SxS cards are rated at 800 Mbits/sec ... nearly 20 times faster than SDHC Class 6. Whether the EX1 or EX3 writes at 800 Mbits/sec - I don't know. You have to check that up.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
tingsern

Default More information on SDHC versus SxS

I found this one pretty good - if you are interested in using SDHC versus SxS in a SONY EX1 / EX3 camera. Note - this page is talking about JVC - but, the ideas expressed in there apply to Sony as well ...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...corder-11.html

Look for Steve Mullen explanation.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #35
burnandreturn

Thank you Tingsem. Looks like I go for a P2 camera. Seems as though it is less hassle and will edit well in Edius 5 without transcoding.
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #36
manbart

Default New Drive Technology

I think solid state drives and SAS drives may have the right price/megabyte within a few years. This may make editing in uncompressed HD i(ingested through the HDMI port) instead of editing compressed HDV or ACHD very reachable, even on an affordable single drive or perhaps a two drive raid 0. I think drive technology has kind of lagged, but ia ready to take off, and that will be good news.

Tilford Bartman
manbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #37
Harro

The Ultra 2 SD cards are class 4 with a transfer speed of 15MB/s. Since HD requires a transfer rate of 35 Mb/s (bits not Bytes), which is about 4.4 MB/s hence the SD cards can record HD (1920x1080) without any problems. Their limitation is when you want to overcrank, which the EX1/EX3 can do, then the limit is around 48 fps (frames/second) as compared to the SxS cards which can achieve around 60 fps. The EX1/EX3 also use 3, 1/2" sensors. I don't know what the Panasonic cameras have.

Transfering files to the PC is straight forward at USB speed for the SD cards; put the SD card in a reader or use the Express Card slot with the adapter.

Using the Sony Clip Browser (free) is easy, and transfer to Edius is quick. The clip browser can be accessed whilst in Edius. Edius 5 works fine with the files.
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #38
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

Class6 can go up to 20 MB/s so I guess you better use class6 cards?
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #39
tingsern

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbart View Post
I think solid state drives and SAS drives may have the right price/megabyte within a few years. This may make editing in uncompressed HD i(ingested through the HDMI port) instead of editing compressed HDV or ACHD very reachable, even on an affordable single drive or perhaps a two drive raid 0. I think drive technology has kind of lagged, but ia ready to take off, and that will be good news.

Tilford Bartman
That's only possible in studio conditions. Not even remotely possible for on-location recordings, in harsh weather conditions, in remote locations where there are no mains power, etc.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #40
tingsern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRsupport View Post
Class6 can go up to 20 MB/s so I guess you better use class6 cards?
If Class 6 SDHC can really record at 20MB/sec (160 Mbits/sec) - then overcranking recording in Sony EX1/EX3 should not be a problem to be recorded. But so far, all the tales I have heard - says, you have to use SxS cards for overcranking. This tells me that SDHC Class 6 cards cannot sustain 20MB/sec writing - maybe for bursts only. 8MB to 10MB /sec sustained write speeds should be possible.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories