Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Maris

Default ADVC and Windows 10

Hello,
It is somehow strange to acknowledge that there are so many people who discover that their PC/Laptop does not recognize ADVC connected and are asking for help, but there is not a Sticky that tells what to do. :)
Here is my case. ADVC works under Windows 7 64Bit, but is not recognized under Windows 10 64 Bit. After some search in Google the solution appears to be quite simple- you need to install a Legacy IEEE1394 driver. Here is the link to it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970191
You will also find the instructions how to install the driver, once it is downloaded. The first trick is that after double-clicking on the driver .msi file no Window pops up, instead it is allready installed in the system in Program x86 folder. You must locate the .inf file, right click it and choose- Update Driver.
Don't rely on me, better follow the instructions. :)
Interestingly though my Sony miniDV camera was recognized in Win 10 even before this driver update. So there is some difference between a miniDV camera and Canopus ADVC-55. Certainly there may be other reasons why the ADVC is not recognized, like the lack of Power supply when connected from a 4 pin IEEE1394 port.
Good luck,
Maris
Old 06-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
southskies

Default Problems with Windows recognising ADVC devices

Hi Maris,
I have read many people just giving up, and just staying on an old OS, doing the capture there and then using their other OS to do the editing.
I've just finished getting this sorted out, in my case, trying to migrate from XP to Windows 7 / 64 bit.
It also seems that when you are dealing with DELL H/W, you get further complications. Even now that I've got it working, I can't definitively state what specific step I did that solved it. Most of the comments I've read state that you have to go to the legacy 1394 driver, but I have never had to do this.

I have the following advice:
- try and get the software working at some lower level, so that at least you have a starting point that works (at least this will rule out the attached ADVC - and associated devices - is broken factor)
- Once you have a working base (preferably 32 bit), do a Driver compare. I did this using the Double Driver software (free) to analyse the driver on the working platform (do a print to get the list in txt form), then run it again on the platform that is not working and print off the listing. Then go back and compare the two lists and see if you can isolate which driver may be causing the error. You may think this illogical, as it SHOULD only relate to the 1394 driver, but computers are of course, the most illogical device I own ;)
- I have always found that there is a timing issue. Turn on the ADVC THEN the PC, I could never get the signal. It always had to be the other way around. ALWAYS.
- Problems may also vary according to the type of firewire card you plugged in. In my case I was using a PCI Via J1394A1 capture card (generic brand)

This isn't to say that there is something else that I did that fixed it up (perhaps related to Direct X version, or CODECS), but if I have a problem again, I'd check those things I listed first as something to initially look at.

Good luck, and I hope these notes help someone in bother as well.
southskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
dpalomaki

Thanks for the posts. They help. To repeat a few key issues, at least for non-DELL, Windows 10 users.

The IEEE-1394 legacy drivers you download are from the Windows 8/8.1 section. That is OK. (Apparently there is no corresponding Windows 10 entry in the MS support pares, or MS wants everyone to forget about IEEE-1394).

The legacy drivers do not automatically fully install for the card, but they are placed in the "C:/Program Files (x86)" folder. You should see a "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" folder containing both x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) legacy drivers.

When you go into Device Manager to update the driver for your IEEE-1394 card you may have to tell Windows 10 to look in the Program Files (x86) -> 1394 OHCI ... (Legacy) folder for drivers, it may not find them on its own. I selected the x64 Legacy driver for my Win 10 system.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Dancer

Very helpful, Maris. Thanks for the guidance
System specs: Windows Ultimate i7 64 bit, CPU Intel Core i7 970 @ 3.2Ghz (6-core), 4G RAM (Plus 2X4G sticks) , SSD 80G OCZ Revodrive, 2TB X 2 internal HD, NVidia GTS 450, HD Spark, Dual Display, Edius 8
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
Dancer

Default ADVC worked and now doesn't

After applying all the driver updates for Windows 10 as well as some for G-Force, inputing video worked well last week.
I have a new project that requires video coming from a different source (didgitalbetacam) thru ADVC. While ADVC has a green light Edius does not show the video thru the Capture windown even though the ADVC is selected. I can monitor playback on a different monitor, but cannot get Edius to see this feed from ADVC from either the original VHS playback or this digitalbeta.
Thoughts?
System specs: Windows Ultimate i7 64 bit, CPU Intel Core i7 970 @ 3.2Ghz (6-core), 4G RAM (Plus 2X4G sticks) , SSD 80G OCZ Revodrive, 2TB X 2 internal HD, NVidia GTS 450, HD Spark, Dual Display, Edius 8
Old 07-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
After applying all the driver updates for Windows 10 as well as some for G-Force, inputing video worked well last week.
I have a new project that requires video coming from a different source (didgitalbetacam) thru ADVC. While ADVC has a green light Edius does not show the video thru the Capture windown even though the ADVC is selected. I can monitor playback on a different monitor, but cannot get Edius to see this feed from ADVC from either the original VHS playback or this digitalbeta.
Thoughts?
You have to make a capture device preset in edius.

Basic guidelines for setting this up can be found in the manual
https://wwwapps.grassvalley.com/manu...html#gsc.tab=0

Also Edius may require the use of the windows legacy firewire driver.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
You have to make a capture device preset in edius.

Basic guidelines for setting this up can be found in the manual
https://wwwapps.grassvalley.com/manu...html#gsc.tab=0

Also Edius may require the use of the windows legacy firewire driver.
I made a capture device in Edius for the ADVC and established parameters for it initially. That capture device still exists and I used it to attempt to input new A/V.

What I'm saying is that it worked last week and is not working today. That makes no sense to me.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Thor

Did you start playing the media? Some of my analog decks aren't "seen" by Edius until I start playing the media in a deck. The capture icon is grayed-out, but turns white when I start playing the tape.

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
I made a capture device in Edius for the ADVC and established parameters for it initially. That capture device still exists and I used it to attempt to input new A/V.

What I'm saying is that it worked last week and is not working today. That makes no sense to me.
Assuming you have not disabled your windows updates, has Windows updated itself or have you manually updated any software or drivers?

Is this on the Win7 system in your signature or a Win10 system? I ask because Win10 can forcibly update drivers, which can often "break" things.

Edius just uses the firewire connection to access the ADVC boxes, so if the box is working and video is getting in to the firewire port, Edius should be able to see it.

Can you check to see if video is getting in by using something else that can capture from a firewire port, such as windows movie maker?

If you see video there, I'd suggest creating a new device preset in Edius, and if that doesn't work a new Edius user profile.

If you don't see video in movie maker, make sure the ADVC is detected by windows. Try re-installing the windows firewire drivers.

Try the ADVC on a different computer to see if the problem follows the ADVC, in which case the problem is likely the ADVC box itself.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC