Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
zvit

Default FCB and Encore CS3, CS4, CS5

Ok, here's the deal... I'm talking about Blu-ray authoring.

Exported from EDIUS 5.51 via FCB to m2ts. Demuxed it with tsMuxer to 4.1 and got video file as .264 and audio file as ac3.

Encore CS3 and CS5 accept this and start the authoring process. (Haven't tried it on CS4)

CS3 will give error before burning. Errors that I won't go into now but that are discussed at length on Adobe and Creative Cow forums.

CS5 does the job perfectly! But one issue remains that I must get resolved...
In my projects, I use one timeline and one menu with multiple chapter buttons. This is a motion menu. The chapter buttons are motion buttons and the menu background is a 30 second video playing with music.

When I used to just import CanopusHQ avi files into Encore, the transcode time of the main video in the timeline and the menu together took 12 - 14 hours. Once all was transcoded, the process of rendering the motion menus took about 3 minutes.

Now, when I import the .264 and ac3 files into a new project, it says "don't transcode", which is good. BUT.... when I press the build button to start the authoring, the rendering of the motion menu takes 4 hours!!

Something must be wrong here. Any ideas?
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Chuck Bengele

I just left the Premiere world and have just recently moved into the Edius Solar System. However, learning the ins and outs of Edius have prevented me from learning the Edius DVD/Blu-ray building process. For the last jobs I exported from Edius I am still using Encore.

The encoding time difference between a SD DVD and a Blu-ray seems to be about 4 to 5 times longer. It does not make any difference if I use a file exported from Edius, a file exported from Premiere or exporting the Premiere Timeline. I believe it is just a lot more data for the computer to crunch & munch on to make a Blu-ray disc. If it were practicle to export HD in an uncompressed format that Encore would see, then I am willing to bet that the encoding/transcoding to Blu-ray would drop greatly. Also consider, if you were working with a 2 hour DV file it would be 25 Gigs in raw data and 25 gigs is what a Blu-ray holds. Now consider that all of the video formats we are dealing with a compressed in some way and many time heavely compressed. So for Encore to encode the file it must first uncompress the file we have provided and then recompress it to Blu-ray.

From the personal side:
1) I rarely use motion menus with the exception of Motion Buttons. I have yet to have a customer tell me how wonderful my motion menu was and how much of a difference it made in their view experience.
2) I prefer to let Encore determine the data rate for the MPEG videos as this saves me the time to figure out the numbers to set on my own. If you push a 2 hour program out plus a motion menu or with motion button then getting the proper export setting from Edius or premiere is a real time pain.
3) What I have done to make my life easier when it comes to making DVDs or Blu-rays is set up a second computer. The second computer does all the lifting for the Blu-rays and DVDs. This way I do not tie up my editor. The second is not a Super Computer, but as I can still edit on the main system I don't worry about how long it takes the other computer to get its job done.
4) Now I must admit to cheating and I hope Eduis will forgive me . . . For the work I export from Eduis I use their HQ codec because it just seems to look better than the other exports (if only a little). On my second machine (Blu-ray/DVD builder) I do not have the Edius. Without Edius on the second machine, I do not have the Edius codec for Encore to read my Edius file format. I have looked pretty hard to find a why to get the Eduis codec on another machine with no success. My cheat was to install a demo version of Edius on the second machine and thereby getting the Edius codec on my second machine. As I do not edit on the second machine it did not make any difference that the demo of Edius timed out, because the codec was still available to Encore to use.

So, please forgive me Grass Valley for my evil dead, but after earning a living with NLEs and Beta Testing NLE systems for almost 14 years I have learned that I have to find work-arounds and modification to every piece of software to get my end result if they are not easily provide for me.

Hope this is of some help.
Chuck Bengele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bengele View Post
I have looked pretty hard to find a why to get the Eduis codec on another machine with no success.
You can download the free Canopus DV Codec here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...s_dv_codec.htm

Then you can play Canopus files without Edius.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Chuck Bengele

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit View Post
You can download the free Canopus DV Codec here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...s_dv_codec.htm

Then you can play Canopus files without Edius.
Thanks for the insight for the free download, but it seems to be incomplete. Here is what it states:

"This free software CODEC will allow machines without DV Rex M1, DV Raptor, or RexFX cards to play Canopus DV CODEC AVI files. Playback performance depends on CPU speed."

It references "DV" and the content most of us are working in is HD. I would think that Grass Valley would have had these codecs available through their own site rather than 3rd party source and HD should also be available. Do you have any suggestions for HD out of Edius?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
zvit

From the Canopus site:

Canopus Playback Codecs Pack (v3.03) Released: 2007-09-14
The Canopus Playback Codecs Pack allows you to view video files that use the Canopus HQ, Canopus Lossless, or Canopus DV codecs, without requiring EDIUS software

Download link: (You might have to be logged into their site)
http://www.grassvalley.com/support/d...d?download=357
Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Chuck Bengele

ZVIT, you are the answer man! I got the download and many thanks.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus