Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crespel View Post
I'm using RAID 0 for video Data on a 20TB partition currently. I had no breakdown at all since years now. The video data could be restored from camera media if there is a crash. But that never happened until today.
I COULD make my 20TB to RAID 0 and technically, all the RAW footage is backed up by the clients but in case of a crash, I would have to contact MANY clients (over 40) and ask each one to bring the footage again. This would be a huge hassle for them and me. Not worth the risk.

I am getting a 2TB (even 1TB would be enough) of M.2 nvme. I would copy some RAW footage of projects to the M.2 for editing and delete the RAW footage from them when I'm finished. So my 20TB BAY doesn't even have to be RAID.

Since M.2 is 25 faster than HDD - it would be much faster than even a RAID 0 of HDDs.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edius 8.53 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
Ron Evans

From years ago when hard drives were small and not very fast I arranged to have OS on one drive, all temp files on another that did nothing else, at least two other drives so that files would come from one drive and go to another. That is, the drive did not have to read and write to itself. At least that was the intent not always possible. I still follow that approach even with SSD's and I think it does make a difference since seek times are critical for encoding where SSD's are much faster than hard drives, even RAID's. Looking at activity with Moos systems I can see that on my system the CPU is the bottleneck almost all the time followed by seek times including the SSD's when encoding. Throughput is not an issue even on the hard drives since my source files are either mp4 or XAVC-S its the CPU that takes the load. I can take 4 tracks from one hard drive and it is never the bottleneck even when one of the tracks is UHD 150Mbps from the GH5. I tend to export HQX to a 1T SSD from the timeline and encode from there back to the hard drive for DVD and Bluray files so only the 1T SSD and 500G SSD are involved in longer encodes. On pure hard drives the DVD encode for a 2 hour show used to take almost 5 hours 2 pass VBR around 4Mbps for the 2 hour show on my old 2600K and now is about realtime.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz, 16G RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7TH, WIN 10, Samsung 850 EVO 500G boot & 500G temp, 6T Project Source , 1T EVO 850 Render Files, MSI 1080Ti, Quantum Ultrium LTO3 tape drive, Intensity Pro 4K, and 2 LG Bluray burners, NexStar Vantec HX4R and eSata/USB3 hard drive dock, Antec 1200 case, ASUS PB328 monitor, Viewsonic VT2300 LED monitor on the Intensity Pro 4K.

Cameras: GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, NX5U
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Crespel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit View Post
I am getting a 2TB (even 1TB would be enough) of M.2 nvme. I would copy some RAW footage of projects to the M.2 for editing and delete the RAW footage from them when I'm finished. So my 20TB BAY doesn't even have to be RAID.

Since M.2 is 25 faster than HDD - it would be much faster than even a RAID 0 of HDDs.
As you can see from my Specs I have a 1TB M.2 too - it is used only for System- and Application-SW. In my case a triple boot Win 10 1709 System.
This design gives the optimum troughput for 4K editing.
both on: 10Gbps Media sharing Network, 10Gbps NAS
Crespel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
Long John Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Looking at activity with Moos systems I can see that on my system the CPU is the bottleneck almost all the time followed by seek times including the SSD's when encoding. Throughput is not an issue even on the hard drives since my source files are either mp4 or XAVC-S its the CPU that takes the load. I can take 4 tracks from one hard drive and it is never the bottleneck even when one of the tracks is UHD 150Mbps from the GH5. I tend to export HQX to a 1T SSD from the timeline and encode from there back to the hard drive for DVD and Bluray files so only the 1T SSD and 500G SSD are involved in longer encodes. On pure hard drives the DVD encode for a 2 hour show used to take almost 5 hours 2 pass VBR around 4Mbps for the 2 hour show on my old 2600K and now is about realtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit
I resurrect this thread.

Given that even M.2 ssd are becoming so cheap. is it worth using RAID 0 as today?
I'm planning to buy a new machine and I was thinking if having something like this:

#1 Sata SSD for OS
#2 M.2 NVMe for temporary store projects and files
#3 Plain huge HDD for archive.

I would move everything I need on #2 for editing. Where is the bottleneck?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #15
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long John Silver View Post
I resurrect this thread.

Given that even M.2 ssd are becoming so cheap. is it worth using RAID 0 as today?
I'm planning to buy a new machine and I was thinking if having something like this:

#1 Sata SSD for OS
#2 M.2 NVMe for temporary store projects and files
#3 Plain huge HDD for archive.

I would move everything I need on #2 for editing. Where is the bottleneck?
The bottleneck in terms of time/speed would be the move to/from the #3 HDD. The M.2 NVMe will perform a lot faster than a regular HDD.

The bottleneck in terms of space could possibly be the #2 M.2 NVMe if you have large projects or multiple projects active at the same time, as the cost per gigabyte is a lot less on a regular HDD and the possible capacities are also a lot larger on the regular HDD.

I personally still prefer a large RAID of normal HDD's, just simply to avoid moving a lot of data around, and since I am not working in 4K or higher, the speed benefit of the SSD/M.2 setups is not that beneficial to me. Ideally, if the budget allows, the RAID should be a RAID 5 or 6 for redundancy, but as you will see from my signature, my budget did not allow for it, so I do folder syncing to an external Mediasonic USB3 RAID5 as a backup.
Edius WG 8.53.2808, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Seagate system HDD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
Long John Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
The bottleneck in terms of time/speed would be the move to/from the #3 HDD. The M.2 NVMe will perform a lot faster than a regular HDD.

The bottleneck in terms of space could possibly be the #2 M.2 NVMe if you have large projects or multiple projects active at the same time, as the cost per gigabyte is a lot less on a regular HDD and the possible capacities are also a lot larger on the regular HDD.

I personally still prefer a large RAID of normal HDD's, just simply to avoid moving a lot of data around, and since I am not working in 4K or higher, the speed benefit of the SSD/M.2 setups is not that beneficial to me. Ideally, if the budget allows, the RAID should be a RAID 5 or 6 for redundancy, but as you will see from my signature, my budget did not allow for it, so I do folder syncing to an external Mediasonic USB3 RAID5 as a backup.
Thank you Bernie,
Very informative. I always read your posts.

I'll ask other questions on a proper thread.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long John Silver View Post
Thank you Bernie,
Very informative. I always read your posts.

I'll ask other questions on a proper thread.

Thanks
You are quite welcome.

I am trained as an Electronics and Computer Technician. My father did audio/video production and I grew up "playing" with this stuff, ultimately going to work for a Pro A/V reseller for 14 or 15 years, where was building NLE/DAW systems, selling them, fixing them and training people to use them, when I wasn't working as a bench technician fixing electronics, before going on to work at my current day job as an in-house technician for a post production house when the Pro A/V company shut down. All the while dabbling in some event videography from home, and still trying to service the people that used to be my clients during my time working as a reseller, most of which I now consider friends, not clients, since there is no other local option for people here. That all adds up to about 25 years of dealing with these things professionally, not to mention my "play" time while growing up.

Unlike some people in this business, I am always happy to pass on any knowledge I have picked up over the years, and I still try to keep on top of things as best I can, but I have to admit, I am not always on top of the latest/greatest like I was when I was building/selling systems.
Edius WG 8.53.2808, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Seagate system HDD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories