Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #21
Peterjames

I think we all have our preferred workflows using Edius. I shoot with a Sony FS7 and use SLog for internal recording. This then gives me the options to edit and grade for HDR, HLG or Rec709 output. The camera does not record Raw or HLG internally, if it did then for HDR I would use Raw. I could add a hardware unit to record raw but I am more than happy with my SLog recordings for most of my edit work. Even if my FS7 MK1 offered HLG output I would still use SLog 10bit for archiving and grading. Peter
Old 05-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #22
Ron Evans

My understanding is RAW would be the preferred source as it gives most flexibility for grading afterwards. Next is your choice of Log formats. Not sure that matters much and depends on camera as long as it is 10bit 4:2:2 and maximizes the camera dynamic range and can be graded to your intended delivery format.

Back to the original topic for HLG , to meet spec, that has to be 10bit 4:2:2. Creating that from an 8bit 4:2:0 source is missing out a lot of information.

I just wonder if Panasonic will create a firmware update for the GH5's to deliver ProRes RAW over HDMI that the Ninja V could record. Nikon has announced this for their camera but not delivered yet.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #23
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
My understanding is RAW would be the preferred source as it gives most flexibility for grading afterwards. Next is your choice of Log formats. Not sure that matters much and depends on camera as long as it is 10bit 4:2:2 and maximizes the camera dynamic range and can be graded to your intended delivery format.

Back to the original topic for HLG , to meet spec, that has to be 10bit 4:2:2. Creating that from an 8bit 4:2:0 source is missing out a lot of information.

I just wonder if Panasonic will create a firmware update for the GH5's to deliver ProRes RAW over HDMI that the Ninja V could record. Nikon has announced this for their camera but not delivered yet.
filming in log is still not as good as HLG.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...rmat-recording

HLG contains more info than LOG or rec 709...
Raw is the best option if available.

Log is a great alternative to RAW as it give you better ability to recover highlights and low-lights while grading than if you filmed in standard rec 709 video... .. HLG has a large range and thats why is has more colour info etc...

and NO. there are no update and will be no update for proRES raw for the GH5/gh5s camera.

as I said all along... at the end of the day.. there is NO advantage converting LOG to HLG when it comes to colour information etc.
only advantage is your able to display it on a HDR monitor.

thanks

Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 05-13-2019 at 01:57 AM.
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:30 AM   #24
Ron Evans

Didn't I say that.

HLG is a log format and to meet spec 10bit 4:2:2.

RAW is better.

I would love to know how "you" know that there will be no firmware updates to the GH5 and GH5S. The GH5S shoot stills in raw so capability is there.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V

Last edited by Ron Evans; 05-13-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #25
ulyssesvideo

the gh5/gh5s were not designed to output data for Prores raw. I was told by panasonic. these cameras were designed long before prores RAW.
its more than likely that the gh6/gh6s will have that option depending on if panasonic has paid for the license to have prores raw because the codec is owned by apple.
also in regards to the gh5s... It needs more processing power as well, because of the dual iso, the camera has an issue with the vfr over 62frames... as it has electronic noise being created in the video, and its very noticeable in vlog l.
thanks

Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 05-13-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Peterjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
filming in log is still not as good as HLG.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...rmat-recording

HLG contains more info than LOG or rec 709...
Raw is the best option if available.

Log is a great alternative to RAW as it give you better ability to recover highlights and low-lights while grading than if you filmed in standard rec 709 video... .. HLG has a large range and thats why is has more colour info etc...

and NO. there are no update and will be no update for proRES raw for the GH5/gh5s camera.

as I said all along... at the end of the day.. there is NO advantage converting LOG to HLG when it comes to colour information etc.
only advantage is your able to display it on a HDR monitor.

thanks
Your generalisation stating that 'HLG contains more info than LOG ' is misleading. Different camera manufacturers set different standards for their LOG (Gamma, Gamut, 8 bit or 10 bit etc). The GH5 may be different to Sony but Sony 10 bit SLog will have a higher Dynamic range than HLG, both will have a fairly similar colour gamut.

In your related link to BHPhotovideo.com I cannot see any thing in that article that states HLG is better than LOG.

I am aware that there is some debate re the best GH5 Vlog and HLG output formats but that is related to that camera and not others so you should not assume that HLG is better than other types of LOG. Peter
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #27
Seemedia

Guys. HLG it's better only with export to HLG. That's all. If you don't want to export with HLG it doesn't matter. Besides, even when you export with HLG tell me. Which client have HLG monitor? This is the song of the future.

Edius 9 Workgroup

Writer/Director. Director of Photography. Motion Picture and Sound Editor. Colorist.

https://facebook.com/chyrowski
https://www.youtube.com/c/PawelChyrowski
https://vimeo.com/pawelchyrowski
Seemedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #28
Peterjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seemedia View Post
Guys. HLG it's better only with export to HLG. That's all. If you don't want to export with HLG it doesn't matter. Besides, even when you export with HLG tell me. Which client have HLG monitor? This is the song of the future.
Agreed HLG is good for direct output to HLG TV/ Monitors without grading etc. I prefer HDR PQ to HLG for picture quality when shown on a HDR PQ TV such as the LG OLEDs
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #29
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjames View Post
Your generalisation stating that 'HLG contains more info than LOG ' is misleading. Different camera manufacturers set different standards for their LOG (Gamma, Gamut, 8 bit or 10 bit etc). The GH5 may be different to Sony but Sony 10 bit SLog will have a higher Dynamic range than HLG, both will have a fairly similar colour gamut.

In your related link to BHPhotovideo.com I cannot see any thing in that article that states HLG is better than LOG.

I am aware that there is some debate re the best GH5 Vlog and HLG output formats but that is related to that camera and not others so you should not assume that HLG is better than other types of LOG. Peter
in general... HLG files contains more information than most log formats if not all log formats.
do you have any technical support in regards to Sony but Sony 10 bit SLog will have a higher Dynamic range than HLG?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #30
Peterjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
in general... HLG files contains more information than most log formats if not all log formats.
do you have any technical support in regards to Sony but Sony 10 bit SLog will have a higher Dynamic range than HLG?
I have better things to do than waste my time trying to explain the differences as you have not shown me anything to substantiate your claims. I see little point in this thread continuing as we all have our own preferred workflows.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products