Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Liverpool TV

Anton, thanks for all the tips, it's greatly appreciated.

Jerry, thanks for the input. I have had a look at the NB site and they do suggest that E7 is supported with certain plugins. As for jaggies etc. i would just be mindful of any limitations within Edius, as I wouldn't mind a little bother as long as I am in the Edius universe as opposed to a lot of bother in a different universe.

As for colour resolution and processing bit depths etc. None of this concerns me as I have well enough post experience to know what people do and don't see. My concern is to get to a finished state that people like and to not get bogged down with a numbers game.

Cheers,
Dave.
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Jerry

New Blue has been saying all along that it is supported in Edius 7. If meaning that it will load into Edius 7 means supported, then it is. As far as working properly, No it doesn't.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
New Blue has been saying all along that it is supported in Edius 7. If meaning that it will load into Edius 7 means supported, then it is. As far as working properly, No it doesn't.
That may well be the case, I wouldn't know as I have not tried them yet. But I can't go far wrong in testing the trials.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #14
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
If YUV is so important, then why are all of the plugins written for RGB? Why isn't compositing software YUV?
YCbCr (YPbPr in the analog realm) is important in the broadcast video realm because that's how the data is (traditionally) moved around and handled by the equipment.

Most of the "mature" plugins have roots that date way before dawn of desktop computer editing for broadcast video. Back then. computer editing was for computer presentations and games. There wasn't a lot in the way of live capture, back then. Equal color sampling and RGB made it easy to adapt photo filters and processing to video applications. Likewise they didn't require conversion for input or output, so it was the optimal way to deal with things.

At the core, EDIUS was designed for broadcast video. Premiere was designed for computer/general/web video. They both grew and continue to grow toward the other end of the spectrum.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #15
Jerry

Hi Brandon, thanks for the clarification. Once I found out that Premiere is doing the same thing that Edius is doing with the plugins, my curiostity grew concerning how they are handling it better than Edius. As I mentioned in an earlier post, when Premiere started leveraging the GPU power into the program, the performance factor definitely increased.
I can get full RT with the plugins in Premiere but only limited or spotty performance in Edius with the same plugins.
This is on the same machine using the same files.
The only thing I can think of is the fact that they are using the power of the GPU to push the performance.
This is not meant to be a Premiere vs Edius thread either. Just a performance question.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #16
Bluetongue

Dave
I have most of the NB filters, the most usefull is color fast, but, as with most of the NB filters if you think about what you want to do it can be done with the standard Edius filters
Using the 3 way color correction filer in Edius does the same as NB color fast
The 3 way color correction filter not only does color correction but can be used to enhance a specific color by changing saturation, brightness and contrast, similar to color fast, takes a little more learning but guarantees RT performance
Both Make recovering detail from shadows easy, color fast is the quickest
As you will find NB just don't seem to have their GPU adaption worked out properly

Mathew Scott, has some really good tutorials on the web on the use of the 3 way color correction filter, the Chroma filter can do similar
Unless you have a really top end GPU Edius can struggle with the NB filters, most of mine are RT but depends on the amount of correction required

The other program I use is Boris RED, BUT requires a lot of rendering and is CPU not GPU dependent, Plugs into Edius, so can be used inside.
Does Titles, transitions as well as color correction and general effects, some are brilliant, but it is not cheap, titles are best done externally with Boris and export HQ file with Alpha

I do everything in Edius so best of luck, the only thing I do outside is DVD / Bluray authoring, No AE or anything like that

Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Last edited by Bluetongue; 03-12-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
Liverpool TV

Hi Barry.

Thanks for all that info and detail, it's mega appreciated.

I have used a load of Edius' standard features when doing productions that are more than cutting. The combination filters work real well and using the YUV as a starting point is great. It's just that I am looking for colouring and some basic FX stuff that has a different interface feel and can run off a GPU for more realtime capability.

You and Anton have give me a load of cool tips to work from.

Thanks,
Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories