wwxxpptt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
emmrecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwxxpptt View Post
I have been offered one of these mpeg cards,
but dont know much about it.

Are drivers etc still available ?
Honestly don't know but this thread http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5825 would appear to suggest not. It seems it doesn't even have XP drivers!
emmrecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

The Windows 2000 drivers worked in XP. I'm pretty certain the board didn't have driver support past Vista, though.

For the purpose of encoding, modern CPUs even a decade old can encode SD MPEG-2 at faster than real-time, whereas the hardware encoder runs at real-time and real-time only.

A one point an SDK was available, but it is long since gone, so there is little use for these cards outside of a custom system that was designed around the hardware. Since you're asking, I doubt you have such a system. :)
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
shueardm

I have a MVRD2000 and it is a very much required part of my arsenal.
Brandon perhaps forgets that the card is primarily for realtime capture of Mpeg 2 from source input rather than encoding out to Mpeg 2. Of course if you already have the video on your HDD and want to use it to encode out to Mpeg2 , forget it , what a waste.

The board uses 0 to 1% CPU when you don't use overlay and preview from the external YC connection. This is absolutely awesome and guess what, I run mine on Windows 7 no problem at all. I think it will probably work on Windows 8 as well by forcing driver install, I have not yet tried but I will one day.
The latest driver support shows Windows Vista, like I said I run Windows 7 with the same driver

It will not work in 64 bit Windows versions, must be 32 bit

So to the question, is it worthwhile? YES, it is a fabulous card buy it now before it's gone.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Good point Mark.

It also has a hardware decoder (newer models didn't include the hardware decoder) which uses almost no CPU as well, though you can't use both simultaneously on the same board (you can use multiple boards in either mode via the SDK).

One possible "gotcha" - try to get a picture of the board. I might be wrong, but I think the MVR-D2000 (as opposed to the newer MVR-D2200 which didn't have the hardware decoder) was a 32-bit 5-volt-only PCI Conventional board. Depending on your motherboard's PCI Conventional slots, it may not support 5-volt boards. PCI-X slots are 3.3-volt. Most motherboards that include a 32-bit PCI Conventional slot are usually 5-volt, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
shueardm

It is a 5V 32 bit board. I found all this out when it would not fit into my 64 bit slot on Supermicro board. I was like "what?" I thought all PCi cards would fit in 64 bit slots , not so. Thanksfully as you say, most desktop boards with PCI are 5 volt.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
toledo

Sorry sir, This card have support a DirectShow? I would use card whit FMLE is possible?
Thanks
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

No. MVR-D2000 aka Amber is supported by its SDK only. It is not a DirectShow device and will not show up.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC