Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 06-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
southskies

Default ADVC300 Vs WinDV image quality

I have an ADVC300 unit.
Just noticed that the picture quality that comes out of the supplied ADVC300 Canopus Picture Controller software (picture review) is of far greater quality than what is captured through what I see in the WinDV software review screen.
I've got this software installed on XP, Win 7 32bit and Win7 64 bit, all working, and all showing the same the same effect.
What is causing this? Is all the data being captured fully? Is it just a case that there is something in the WinDV window screen that is deficient?
What can explain the difference in the quality of what comes through these two review screens?
southskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
BernH

DV video is 720x480 in NTSC or 720x576 in PAL.

If WinDV is not giving you a full resolution preview, it will look worse. Check for a preview quality or resolution setting.

If your actual captured files played in another player look OK, there is nothing to worry about, it is just the resolution of the preview window. If they don't look good, then WinDV is doing something to degrade them.
Edius WG 9.21.3770, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
THoff

WinDV doesnít do any encoding, it just writes the DV data stream from the ADVC300 to an AVI file. The preview quality is dependent on the window size, and doesnít affect the recording quality.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
southskies

It appears to relate to the Interlacing.

The WinDV appears as deinterlaced, with very small squares in the image, whereas the 300 Viewer shows as interlaced.

So when I save with WinDV, is it saving the file as an interlaced file or a deinterlaced file?

(I'm in Australia, PAL)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
southskies

I've got the signal to capture through Edius 9, and it looks just like the 300 Preview panel, minus the interlacing. A perfect picture.

Yes, very happy with this outcome.

So, no need to reply to this thread. Bye bye WinDV.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
THoff

DV is always interlaced (though some camcorders capture a progressive image and store it as two interlaced half-frames). Itís been years since I used WinDV and I have given my ADVC 300 to another forum member who had a hardware problem with his, but I seem to recall WinDV having a shortcut key for setting the monitoring window size, which didnít default to 100%.

WinDV was my preferred capturing tool for the ADVC 300. You can certainly use other software like Edius, but you arenít going to get better capture quality from it. Also, outputting anything other than DV or a lossless codec (in whatever container format you prefer) requires transcoding and will result in a loss of quality.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
southskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
DV is always interlaced (though some camcorders capture a progressive image and store it as two interlaced half-frames). Itís been years since I used WinDV and I have given my ADVC 300 to another forum member who had a hardware problem with his, but I seem to recall WinDV having a shortcut key for setting the monitoring window size, which didnít default to 100%.

WinDV was my preferred capturing tool for the ADVC 300. You can certainly use other software like Edius, but you arenít going to get better capture quality from it. Also, outputting anything other than DV or a lossless codec (in whatever container format you prefer) requires transcoding and will result in a loss of quality.
In some ways I'm glad to read this. I've used WinDV a lot, and I'm glad I hadn't wasted my time using this method. I did find that WinDV would only record in 30 (?) minute chunks, which was both helpful and a hinderence, as I needed to use ffmpeg to restitch all the parts together. I'm hopeful with EDIUS being able to give me a one step solution to capturing, transforming and the outputing video content.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
THoff

You can configure when WinDV breaks up files. If you set it to a sufficiently large frame count, your files won’t be broken up.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by southskies View Post
I did find that WinDV would only record in 30 (?) minute chunks, which was both helpful and a hinderence, as I needed to use ffmpeg to restitch all the parts together. I'm hopeful with EDIUS being able to give me a one step solution to capturing, transforming and the outputing video content.
The user configurable file split is probably a holdover from the days of using FAT32 formatted drives. FAT32 had a 4GB file size limit, (if I recall correctly, Windows 95/98/ME actually imposed a 2GB limit), while NTFS has a 16TB limit.

DV video is around 5 minutes per GB, so I would say it is more likely you defaulted to 20 minute chunks (4GB limit x 5min/GB = 20min), assuming the software is defaulting to FAT32 settings.
Edius WG 9.21.3770, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #10
southskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
The user configurable file split is probably a holdover from the days of using FAT32 formatted drives. FAT32 had a 4GB file size limit, (if I recall correctly, Windows 95/98/ME actually imposed a 2GB limit), while NTFS has a 16TB limit.

DV video is around 5 minutes per GB, so I would say it is more likely you defaulted to 20 minute chunks (4GB limit x 5min/GB = 20min), assuming the software is defaulting to FAT32 settings.
Yes, correct. This was precisely what was happening. Had to then use ffmpeg to splice it all back together and was also using ffmpeg to do the final editting of what I wanted in each file.

Cracking down the EDIUS path now, file editting seems to be easier, so I don't have the issue of having to splice the files, and the editor is a little less primitive than ffmpeg ;)

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC