Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 10-10-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
lalittle

Default Does Procoder 3 work with Quicktime version 6.x?

Does Procoder 3 require a certain version of Quicktime to be installed? Due to the requirements of OTHER software on my system, I am currently unable to use any version of Quicktime past version 6 -- i.e. I can't update to QT7 yet. Is this a problem with Procoder 3? Will PC3 work okay with QT6 installed? According to the Canopus "pre-sales questions" person I spoke with, PC3 will work fine with QT6, but I just want to make sure of this before I make a purchase.

Thanks,

Larry
lalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
THoff

Procoder 3 will happily coexist with QuickTime 7 -- I routinely use Procoder with QuickTime 7 Pro to output H.264 video for the web.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
lalittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
Procoder 3 will happily coexist with QuickTime 7 -- I routinely use Procoder with QuickTime 7 Pro to output H.264 video for the web.
I know that PC3 will work with Quicktime 7 -- it's Quicktime SIX (6) that I'm asking about. I can't put QT7 on this system due to compatibility issues with other software, so this system has to remain with QT6 on it. I therefore need to know if PC3 can run with QT6. I know that the new Sorenson Squeeze can NOT run without QT7 installed -- I'm wondering if the same limitation applies to PC3.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
lalittle

Anyone? Just a quick "yes it will work" or "no -- you NEED QT7 installed" is all I'm looking for. I know that QT is required for PC3, but will QT6 suffice? I realize that I won't get some of the newer features/codecs of QT7, but will PC3 at least "work" -- i.e. will the program function, and will I still be able to output Quicktime movies?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post
Anyone? Just a quick "yes it will work" or "no -- you NEED QT7 installed" is all I'm looking for. I know that QT is required for PC3, but will QT6 suffice?
I hope this helps . . .

from the HTML help file of ProCoder 3

Installing ProCoder 3
NOTE: It is advisable to the have the latest version of QuickTime on your system.
The latest version of QuickTime is available on the installation CD or off the Apple website.

This sounds like QT 6 might work with it....maybe

Sorry Larry, this is all I know.
Hopefully someone from GrassValley can answer your question with a definite 'yes' or 'no'.

Bill
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
lalittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
I hope this helps . . .

from the HTML help file of ProCoder 3

Installing ProCoder 3
NOTE: It is advisable to the have the latest version of QuickTime on your system.
The latest version of QuickTime is available on the installation CD or off the Apple website.

This sounds like QT 6 might work with it....maybe

Sorry Larry, this is all I know.
Hopefully someone from GrassValley can answer your question with a definite 'yes' or 'no'.

Bill
Thanks for the info. That does give me a little more hope for being able to use QT6 instead of 7, but it's still (as you noted) rather vague.

I was also hoping that somebody from GV would answer this, but I would have thought that this would have happened by now. The guy I spoke with on the phone wasn't all that sure about this either, so it's looking like the only thing to do is to try it. I'm a little surprised by this, as it seems like a rather basic question.

Thanks again,

Larry
Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

To be frank, I haven't had time to go and uninstall PC3 off my machine, and then QT7 Pro, and then clean the registry and start all over with version 6.

And then, what am I testing - it could work flawlessly on my system with my test clips, and then go belly-up in a real-world environment, costing you money, which makes everyone sad.

I say this, because the installer installs v7, and recommends you use the latest version in the documentation (as quoted above)...which happens to be v7.

If I get some time, I will try it. No promises.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
lalittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
To be frank, I haven't had time to go and uninstall PC3 off my machine, and then QT7 Pro, and then clean the registry and start all over with version 6.

And then, what am I testing - it could work flawlessly on my system with my test clips, and then go belly-up in a real-world environment, costing you money, which makes everyone sad.

I say this, because the installer installs v7, and recommends you use the latest version in the documentation (as quoted above)...which happens to be v7.

If I get some time, I will try it. No promises.
Does the installer "have" to install QT7, or can you override this step? This is important. If you don't install QT7, do you know if can you still install PC3. As far as "what am I testing" goes, I guess basic functionality overall. Will PC3 still launch?

Do you happen to know if PC3 was released after QT7 was already out?

Some programs actually use Quicktime as part of their core operation -- Avid and Sorenson are both like this. In both of these cases, you either get specific things that do NOT work, or the program itself does not work at all. In each of these cases, however, the the QT version that is needed is clearly listed in the programs requirements. PC3 lists no such requirement, but this may be because it assumes you'll install QT7. If QT7 is actually "required" for PC3 operation, however, I would hope it would say so, but you can't assume that everybody will be able to update QT on their system due to OTHER software requirements.

Thanks for the help -- any information is useful,

Larry
Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

I'm pretty sure ProCoder will not launch if QuickTime is not present.

If your QuickTime is present but broken somehow, then it certain parts won't work.

Here's a general idea of what ProCoder uses for different operations:
  • Flash import - QuickTime (at least with ProCoder 2, unsure about ProCoder 3)
  • MPEG import - ProCoder-installed decoder ("Palm" MPEG decoder)
  • AVI import - DirectShow
  • QuickTime import - QuickTime
So yes, ProCoder does use the QuickTime engine for some of its not-necessarily-directly-related-to-QuickTime operations. I think it might use QuickTime for the still image importer too.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
lalittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
I'm pretty sure ProCoder will not launch if QuickTime is not present.

If your QuickTime is present but broken somehow, then it certain parts won't work.

Here's a general idea of what ProCoder uses for different operations:
  • Flash import - QuickTime (at least with ProCoder 2, unsure about ProCoder 3)
  • MPEG import - ProCoder-installed decoder ("Palm" MPEG decoder)
  • AVI import - DirectShow
  • QuickTime import - QuickTime
So yes, ProCoder does use the QuickTime engine for some of its not-necessarily-directly-related-to-QuickTime operations. I think it might use QuickTime for the still image importer too.
Thanks for the details. It sounds like I'll just have to try it and see if PC3 will function with QT6 instead of QT7. The only important question is if I can stop the PC3 installer from installing QT7 so that I can leave the system at QT6. Do you happen to know about this?

Thanks,

Larry

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder