Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Red Union Films
Banned

Default Downloadable Edius progressive v interlaced dissolve test

Hi All.

It would seem that there have been assumptions made on the different ways that Edius does its dissolves, either in progressive or interlaced.

There seemed to be a belief that if you started your project in progressive mode and made your complete edit with dissolves. Then made a live switch to interlaced, to make your project compatible for Blu-ray or whatever interlaced master you need. That your dissolves in some way would be problematic due to the source progressive footage being treated with an interlaced dissolve.

It had been suggested on the forum that it was essential to render a master from a 25P 1080 as a progressive master, and to then start a new 50I 1080 project. To then add your previously exported progressive file into the interlaced project, in order to avoid the suggested weirdness as mentioned earlier. In order to create your Blu-ray or whatever interlaced master you need.

I have therefore created a downloadable test project for users to see for themselves what really happens.

This test is to give Edius users confidence in knowing that they are not loosing anything when live switching a progressive project to interlaced for Blu-ray.

Here is what I done.

I created a progressive project and added two progressive clips to it. Then I made a number of dissloves between the two clips. Then I saved the edit out as a progressive HQ master.

Next I done a live switch of the same project to interlaced. Then I saved the edit as an interlaced HQ master.

I then created a new interlaced project. Then imported the two master clips. Next thing was to do a split screen between the two clips. Then I saved that out as a new interlaced master.

The download project has three sequences in it.

Sequence 1. 1:1 of the interlaced split screen composite.

Sequence 2. As above but with an outrageous zoom that you would never have in the real world.

Sequence 3. Is the original split screen composite between the two individual clips. You will need to download these clips separately from the links below the project link, and insert them into the folder marked VIDEO FILES.

When you download the main project zip, when you launch it, it may complain about missing media. Don't worry about this, it's only the two separate clips as mentioned above. You still have the option to download these and add to the project, if you want. The clip that does load, is the one that is needed for the final proof.

I have been criticized in the past for making concrete claims based on empirically proven facts. So I wont make any claims on anyone else's behalf with regard to this matter. I will let the proof speak for itself.

PROGRESSIVE_V_INTERLACED_DISSOLVE_TEST.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?epdgt97c113ue46

PROGRESSIVE FOOTAGE SWITCHED TO INTERLACED RENDER.avi
http://www.mediafire.com/?0t62z4cbtsft93z

PROGRESSIVE FOOTAGE WITH PROGRESSIVE RENDER.avi
http://www.mediafire.com/?bevgoauu32ng5ob

Cheers, and have fun.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
4Kover3D
Banned

Do the same with dissolve to black.
4Kover3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kover3D View Post
Do the same with dissolve to black.
Andrew.

That seems to be a severe case of sour grapes. I have proven once and for all the outcome, you where wrong, the project proves it. You have not put forward any video proof what so ever, but have made many claims.

If you don't think this is proof, and a fade to black test is needed, then do one an prove your point. Although once again, this is not what you where saying before either. It really does not look good on your part when you chop and change your mind or change opinion trying to discredit others.

Just man up and accept the facts and move on, and stop disrupting good posts.

Cheers.

Dave.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
4Kover3D
Banned

You're way to negative- I have no reason to post against you at all.

Interlaced issue appears on dissolve to black- this what I meant by dissolve. Maybe bit confusing, should say fade to black.
My grabs are from simple dissolve to black on bars.

As I said- it's not a case for all filters, effects and as you proved dissolve between 2 videos is fine. I just saw it in some cases, I think titler does it also.

Last edited by 4Kover3D; 02-03-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kover3D View Post
No - interlaced issue appears on dissolve to black- this what I meant by dissolve. Maybe bit confusing, should say fade to black.

As I said- it's not a case for all filters, effects and as you proved dissolve between 2 videos is fine. I just saw it in some cases.
Earlier in a different thread you said it happened on dissolves, period. Now it seems that you are changing your mind again.

My test proves exactly my point, and no amount of mind changing by you is going to change that.

You have had numerous opportunities to make a video test to prove your point, but you have not, why?

Please don't find it rude of me from now on to not waste anymore of my time with your unfounded opinions. If on the other hand you show proof by way of a downloadable video project, then let's both recognise and discuss the outcomes.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
4Kover3D
Banned

I've made test- these are grabs from video.
Don't have time to make them so nice as yours. If you don't believe try it- if not leave it.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS