Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
cmusic_idv

Question HD downconvert to SD with denoise

I was using EDIUS 6 before 2016, since EDIUS 6 convert from HD to SD quality was very poor, I use VirtualDub process found in forum, and get nice
SD clips.

With Virtualdub conversion, first apply resize, then denoise, will be way faster than denoise first/resize second. I think resize process reduce the amount of pixels , thus denoise process way less data, faster.

My EDIUS upgrade to 8 PRO in 2016, since the HD to SD downconvert quality was improved a lot, so I stop using VirtualDub.

With EDIUS 8 PRO, HD 1920*1080 project, print to file directly with 720*480 MPEG2 format, can get OK clip for DVD authoring, and very fast.

these days I start using Neat Video Pro plugin to denoise, but it takes a lot of time. Here's my test:

2hour HD clip

Method 1:
EDIUS HD project, apply Neat Video filter, print to SD mepg2 format
, need 10 hours.

Method 2:
EDIUS HD project, print to HD.avi(canopus HQ codec) format
open new EDIUIS SD project, import HD.avi, print to SD.avi(canopus HQ codec)
import SD.avi, apply Neat Video filter, print to SD mepg2 format, need 2 hours.

I think there's something like Virtualdub's filter order, affect the data amount processed by denoise filter.

Is there any way in EDIUS, in one project, can directly resize and then apply Neat Video filter, with the same conversion time like my Method 2, but without generating HD.avi and SD.avi?
cmusic_idv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #2
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmusic_idv View Post

With EDIUS 8 PRO, HD 1920*1080 project, print to file directly with 720*480 MPEG2 format, can get OK clip for DVD authoring, and very fast.
the above will give poor results because lanczos3 downscaling is not employed when exporting SD direct from HD timeline

so be sure, as already mentioned to switch to SD (takes 1.5 seconds if clicking slow) prior to export

make sure lanczos3 HQ is enabled in your SD preset

when done, switch back to HD (takes 1.5 seconds)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:23 AM   #3
cmusic_idv

Unhappy

Thanks for your reply!

I've tested the approach:"change HD project to SD", but won't work.

Neat Video still works with clip's original HD resolution, not SD. And the rendering time still takes 10 hours.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
antonsvideo

the down-scaling filters have not been implemented in the exporter, so at this stage I would not call it a bug, because a bug is when something is implemented and does not work correct

so at this stage, to make use of the Lanczos filter, one needs to switch to SD

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
antonsvideo

I agree on the fact that it should be implemented by now, but I can't force anyone to do it

Old 05-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Andreas_Gumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
When I set scaling method in project setting I expect it to work in "whole" Edius.
This inconsequently implemented feature has been brought up and spoken about short after the first release which was 6.5 when I'm right.
I even think it's a spec thing. I guess they simply didn't think about it.

As you know, GV sees some things the other way around. Think of the DVD or Blu-ray export thing in the past.
We were forced to conform and to set up the project according to DVD spec for exporting DVDs.
Praise god (it must has been god) that his has been changed, it now saves so much time!
According to the methodic pattern to look on workflows it's quite normal! ,)

Andreas
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
cmusic_idv

Smile

thanks More4K.

After testing these days, finally found the approach:"change HD project to SD", is right and worked.

my previous test with "change HD project to SD" won't work, the reason is my project have output HD.avi already, and I apply Neat to the HD.avi file, then switch to SD project won't affect Neat.

Today I open new sequence, and import the final sequence, then apply Neat on the new sequence.

Now Neat can react with the project setting, change HD project to SD, Neat's FrameSize changes from 1920*1080 to 720*480, and checkspeed 6 times faster!

Thanks all !

------------------------------------
Updated 2017/06/05:

During real project test, although Neat's checkspeed shows 45 FPS, but real rendering is as slow as HD footage/project setting.

EDIUS print to file shows remain time starts from 40min, then slowly add up to 1hr....2hr..... finally 10hrs.......

I have to use old approach now: export SD.avi, then apply Neat on SD.avi.

Last edited by cmusic_idv; 06-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
cmusic_idv

Unhappy

Ooops...... Although Neat works fine now, but switch dirctly from HD project to SD, all QuickTitler's titles changes their font size and posistion.....

Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
NakedEye

Putting your titles in a video track and not in the t track will fix this issue when scaling. Most don't use t tracks anymore for this reason.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
GrassValley_SL

You can put the titles on a V track before switching or right click each title and set resize to auto.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS