Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
soavsg

Default Windows Media file exported under Edius 5 takes too long to encode !

I had a 120mins footage which uses Edius 5 Exporter to encode a wmv 9 output with the following settings;

Resolution: 320 x 240
Video Bitrate: 700kbps
Aspect Ratio: 4:3

After checking the 'Enable Conversion' Check box as advised by fellow forumer here, Edius Exporter took 40 mins to encode it & approximately 4hrs to render the wmv footage right after the exporting process. Isn't Edius a Real-TIme Render-free NLE ???

Did i missed any settings that caused such long hrs of conversions from Edius 5 exporter ??? (previously i took only about an hour to finish a wmv file of 320x288(700kbps) as presetted frm the exporter.....WHY this time round took such long hours just to export a 320 x 240 wmv file with 700kbps????

i used FireCoder to encode the raw footage with the a/m settings, its taking around 7hrs to encode for 1 Pass Average Quality wmv output !!! Isn't FireCoder was so acclaimed by Canopus initially for its hardware accelerated ENCODING ??? I wonder if FireCoder Blu can speed up such conversion?????????????

I tried Windows Media Encoder to encode the same raw footage....and i required around 3 to 4 hrs to encode it to the required format i needed from my clients...!!!

Anyone ever tried a 320 x 240 wmv encoding before? How long does it takes from your side ?

Last edited by soavsg; 02-09-2009 at 09:54 AM.
soavsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
antonsvideo

need more info

is your project setting SD or HD? HD will be slower to export

did you make any changes inside enable conversion to the source settings? or did you only modify the destination settings?

there is usually no need to make changes to the source, if you do, it will export slower

time required to export to wmv CBR one pass at 700kbps from a standard def 60 min timeline on my system is 8 minutes (there is no need to export the timeline to an intermediate file first)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
pjsssss

I just did a 320x240 wmv encoding (SD)at a clients. Clip was about 1 minute and it probablay took 10 seconds to encode.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
soavsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
need more info

is your project setting SD or HD? HD will be slower to export
My Project was started with SD PAL 4:3. (Please see attached pic)

Quote:
did you make any changes inside enable conversion to the source settings? or did you only modify the destination settings?
As my client specifically required 700kbps of bitrate, thus i only changed the bit rate from 500 to 700kbps as shown below;

Quote:
there is usually no need to make changes to the source, if you do, it will export slower time required to export to wmv CBR one pass at 700kbps from a standard def 60 min timeline on my system is 8 minutes (there is no need to export the timeline to an intermediate file first)
Perhaps this may be the cause of my conversion slowdown but nonetheless, if yours can encode under CBR one pass @ 700kbps, I still cannot believed mine had took me so much longer time in terms of hours just for a 2hrs footage ????

For info, my RAW file placed on Edius 5 was m2p. My system consists of Dual Xeon 3GHz CPU on Iwill DJ800 MB, 4GB DDR2 Rams, nvidia Quadro 3500 Graphic Card, 2TB SATA II Harddisk, E-MU 1820m Sound Card, Canopus NX(PCI-X) card with HD Breakout Box, Canopus Firecoder (PCIe) card, Adaptec 1420s Sata II Raid card, XP Pro SP2(32bit).......

Could it be the Mode (VBR) i used instead of (CBR) ? Or does the 'Rendering Format: Canopus HQ Format' plays a part here for the slowdown??

Last edited by soavsg; 02-10-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
soavsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
I just did a 320x240 wmv encoding (SD)at a clients. Clip was about 1 minute and it probablay took 10 seconds to encode.
Technically speaking, if your clip for ONE min took you 10 seconds to finish, my 120mins of footage may take me around 1200 sec which equivalent to 20mins lapsed time........funny...the only changes i did was adjusting the bitrates.....yet i still required some hrs of conversions just for a small 320x240 file !!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
antonsvideo

try CBR, that is what I use

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
THoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by soavsg View Post
After checking the 'Enable Conversion' Check box as advised by fellow forumer here, Edius Exporter took 40 mins to encode it & approximately 4hrs to render the wmv footage right after the exporting process. Isn't Edius a Real-TIme Render-free NLE ???
Real time editing is not the same as realtime encoding. If you use an advanced output format like WMV HD or H.264 -- especially multi-pass -- be prepared for lengthy render times. Also understand that virtually all that time is being spent inside the codec, not Edius or Procoder (if you use that).
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Khoi Pham

It also depend on what you have on your timeline, it would be much longer if you have fxs and layers compare to just a clip.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
soavsg

Quote:
try CBR, that is what I use
I tried use CBR instead of VBR....it only takes about 1hr 30mins to finish that 120mins clip.....Better than the VBR which commands a longer encoding time...Sincerely thanks for your Help...Cheers...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
soavsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
Real time editing is not the same as realtime encoding. If you use an advanced output format like WMV HD or H.264 -- especially multi-pass -- be prepared for lengthy render times. Also understand that virtually all that time is being spent inside the codec, not Edius or Procoder (if you use that).
You are absolutely right. I shared the same view with you now......Just that I need to be more cautious about such wmv HD & H.264 hereafter in future if i used them. What an great insights from you guys ! Thanks alot...

Cheers

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS