Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
EdiReady

Default Edius and R3D file support

Hi everyone,

I'm one the many people eagerly awaiting the Scarlet camera from RED digital cinema. The camera will produce 3k images in R3D file format.
At the moment I think in terms of NLE's only Adobe is developing support in a plugin for drag and drop of R3D files into premier....RED has released an SDK for any company that want to create support, does anyone know if Edius will ever support R3D?

I would hate to have to stop using Edius because it doesn't support it.
EdiReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
STORMDAVE

You're better off posting this in the feature requests forum.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdiReady View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm one the many people eagerly awaiting the Scarlet camera from RED digital cinema. The camera will produce 3k images in R3D file format.
At the moment I think in terms of NLE's only Adobe is developing support in a plugin for drag and drop of R3D files into premier....RED has released an SDK for any company that want to create support, does anyone know if Edius will ever support R3D?

I would hate to have to stop using Edius because it doesn't support it.
It has not been ruled out. However, I do not think that it is high on the priority list. If you have to have R3D support, Premiere, FCP or soon AVID would be your way to go. Or, capture into Edius and Edit at 1920x1080 8bit.
If you have to stop using Edius, that is what you have to decide.
Make sure to get a honkin raid (speed and size) for that camera.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
massimolotto@tankstudio.i

I've installed REDCine, imported a REDCam file in 2K at 25P then rendered a jpeg sequence then imported in AE CS3, at the end i've obtained a HQ file 1920X1080 ready to be edited in Edius. I think this a longer way to post-produce my footage produced on location. It could be interesting that edius could be able to work with the proxy files of REDCAM or similar improvement.
Answer to a user that is coming the time to change NLE system is not a good way to loyalty with their customers.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
pjsssss

If Red is your main source of shooting, I doubt if Edius is your best solution.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

I agree. There is no LUT support and it is 8 bit.
At the moment EDIUS is not the best solution. Even if the file was supported (raw) you would not be able to get the best out of your footage.

I could be wrong......

Red cool-aid. :)
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
computer repair

Yes I agree,
The world is now officially in financial turmoil. Our accelerated schedule for Scarlet and EPIC deliveries seems to coincide with a dead market. I see no reason to continue to pay for rapid development and pushed schedules when the world is not ready to buy our product in the quantities that justify our urgency... Retail camera sales are currently off 40-50 percent.
computer repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
peterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRsupport View Post
I agree. There is no LUT support and it is 8 bit.
At the moment EDIUS is not the best solution. Even if the file was supported (raw) you would not be able to get the best out of your footage.

I could be wrong......

Red cool-aid. :)

Something I just read.........

Quote:
STEELE recently completed the transfer and colour correction/DI work for the new 'Rooms to Go' campaign promoting Cindy Crawford's Bedroom Collections interior designs. The campaign, consisting of 12 spots, was directed by Sean Hanish of Cannonball Productions and shot entirely on the RED One camera at 4K.
STEELE used its Quantel Pablo to colour correct and resize about 6 hours of .r3d files on import, which eventually saved their client many hours of conversion time. Jerry STEELE Studios Creative Director said that the Pablo's dynamic rounding and sizing capabilities can be used to finish 4K-originated projects at resolutions from SD to 4K at a faster pace than most systems he was aware of. They could view, scrub and trim the .r3d files off the drives and also resize and adjust the parameters that were on the camera before and during the import process. This saved them the time they would have spent on scaling and colour correction work normally required after the import.
Quantel has also recently introduced complete integration of Final Cut Pro, allowing projects to move directly between offline and online. Combined with the RED conform on Pablo, it can result in finishing time and cost savings. Steele said that they are seeing an increase in the number of post production projects that are shot on RED.
Other than that, you have 'legacy' pristine footage: downressing now for Edius if you go that way and 'full scale' later if need be. Another way to look at it.

I still believe that you get better footage out since you had better footage in - the reverse of garbage in garbage out. It is easy to see ..........
(Please don't throw stones, it works!)
Edius 9 v3

Last edited by peterC; 12-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.
peterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
medeamajic
Banned

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisprojec...e_me.html#more

Download the high bandwidth file folks and be amazed at what CUDA can do for your R3D files. You can even apply effects to AVCHD in RT. Although AVCHD is not used in this video I have seen it done in other videos. I think the Nvidia CUDA demo is about 7 minutes into the video clip. Keep in mind folks this was the Nvidia booth doing the demo not Adobe Systems Inc. A GTX 285 graphics card will work ($350.00).

I think you folks are going to like what you see. I was simply amazed at what I saw being done in realtime with the native 4K R3D files.

Dual Quad systems will be a thing of the past thanks to CUDA.

Last edited by medeamajic; 12-03-2009 at 10:01 AM.
medeamajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
adwardzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by computer repair View Post
Yes I agree,
The world is now officially in financial turmoil. Our accelerated schedule for Scarlet and EPIC deliveries seems to coincide with a dead market. I see no reason to continue to pay for rapid development and pushed schedules when the world is not ready to buy our product in the quantities that justify our urgency... Retail camera sales are currently off 40-50 percent.
That's interesting one, but we are enable to understand. can you elaborate this one clearly?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS