Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
fersonjames

Default CODEC to capture with in edius

What my question is, when i am converting VHS to DV what format/codec is going to allow the most future flexability and details of the data:

background problem (i had about 100hours of personal video converted with the use of edius - then a few years later when i changed OS to vista, none of the files would play properly - just sound - no video, and windows didnt know what to do with the files)

So, when i start a new project with edius my setting options are to select a CODEC: (6 choices, from canopus hq avi exporter, lossless, dv avi exporter, and then 3 types of 'uncompressed avi)

as i am capturing all of the data i want to save right at the start, what i would like to know is what codec should i use right at the start to end up with files that will be 'good for the future, using not only canopus programs, but just simply using 'movie maker..ect' that will be built into the windows platforms.
fersonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
tingsern

You can always download a "readonly" codec from Canopus website.

If you want something that comes with Windows, try MSAV codec. Having said that, no codec are 'forever' either. If I were to choose from your list, I go for DV AVI.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
SoundFreak
Banned

MSavi is as 'safe' as Canopus HQ, Edius 6 might add another HQ+ codec in the mix but so might Windows 8.
If I would be a Edius person and would have no compelling reason to change or be multi platform Flexible, multi nle Compatible, I would use Canopus HQ for archive purpose, I am doing this across the board for all my captures since A long time.

I have XP & windows 7 installer disc's, also I keep Edius 4 & 5 disc's and Dongles, so I'm pretty codec safe for a while :)
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
tingsern

About that additional HQ+ codec that EDIUS 6 might add, there is a missing entry in our existing HQ codec. The "Super Fine" is currently grey out - perhaps that might fit the bill for EDIUS 6?
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 05-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
tingsern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreak View Post
I have XP & windows 7 installer disc's, also I keep Edius 4 & 5 disc's and Dongles, so I'm pretty codec safe for a while :)
May I point out - while you might have XP installer disks, can you install XP into a future computer (say 10 years from now) without the supporting device drivers? I doubt it very much.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post
say 10 years from now
I am like you Ting, I collect lots of stuff including computers and spare parts, and I have lots of space to keep them :)

All jokes aside, 10 years is a long time and I think if you don't save them on any "trendy" portable or "Zip drive like" removable storage you are as future proof as you can get.

If the footage / project is that important store it as uncompressed on at least 2 or more storage media, keep one copy in the office, 1 in the house and one in the bank (a non investment bank) :)

Keep moving your uncompressed files every so many years to new storage medium.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
tingsern

I keep them on data tapes. The most foolproof medium for long term storage.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
fersonjames

Thank you all for the info. I guess if i am gonna keep the data in a canopus HQ file then i can expect support and ways to get the data out in the future. I was just a bit sad when vista didnt recognize any of my video files..even though they were in a . avi format.
fersonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
NakedEye

If you have Edius installed on the machine then the files will play back no problem....if you dont have Edius installed then XP, Vista or Win 7 wont play back your files....Vista is not your problem. If you want to play Canopus codec based files on a system without Edius being installed then you can as has been mentioned install the Canopus codec pack for playback only....it is available from your user account download area.

Dave.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

On any new OS install you won't be able to play anything using a codec that isn't built into the OS (which means just about anything that isn't DV or MPEG-1/MPEG-2), so always keep the codec install files handy.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS