Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 12-10-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
OneQuickSix

Question So here's a stumper ... Edius interprets PROG as INTERLACED (sometimes)

So, I just wrapped up a project, was outputing the final version and delivered it to the client. I later played it back on a large display and noticed SOME (not all) of the motion-graphics and titling looked like junk (un-aliased like). A previous version I tested (on the same large display a day or so earlier) looked perfect.

So I scrambled to figure out what was going on, looking at my rendered footage (from AE) to make sure the flaw was not there. Nope. Went into Edius, starting looking at the affected clips, and discovered the ones exibiting the problem were, for some reason, being interpretted as UPPER FIELD instead of progressive. I knew that had to be it, so I switched them all to PROG, and everything was great again.

I had no idea how this happened, so I took all the clips and dragged them into a new project, looked in the bin, and sure enough ... ~1/2 of them were interpretted as UPPER FIELD!! Why is Edius (7.5) doing this??

There does not seem to be any particular attribute that is trigger it either:
  • In this instance, all are HQX
  • Doesn't matter if they came from After Effects or stock footage source
  • Doesn't matter if they are 29.97, 30fps or 59.94, etc.
  • Doesn't matter if they have audio or not, or 1 channel or 2 channel
  • Doesn't matter if they have an alpha channel

Weird right? Any idea why this would be happening? Am I missing something obvious? Or is this a known bug perhaps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edius bin screencap.jpg (311.5 KB, 21 views)
MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.

Last edited by OneQuickSix; 12-11-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: TITLE
OneQuickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
xeberdee

If it's a bug, then you'll need to find a list of known issues for 7.5 - could be, so good luck with that :)

It sounds more like you have a render from AE you are looking at with graphics - what are you looking at it with? where are the graphics generated? Please explain your workflow step by step, it's unclear from your post. Are you exporting native clips as an AAF from Edius or something?

What is the history of the source material? is any of it actually PsF?
Also, is your Edius project P or I? What about your AE project?

Sounds like a field problem with the render and you are probably looking at deinterlaced graphics or something. Progressive source material interpreted as interlaced shouldn't affect graphics layers in a progressive project - as there's nothing to deinterlace in the first place, but if your graphics are working from a PsF master as interlaced (for broadcast etc.) and you are rendering out as P? Maybe??? Need more info.....
Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
antonsvideo

HQX AVI files don't have field order info when they are created in AE, so EDIUS takes a guess on upper field

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
OneQuickSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
HQX AVI files don't have field order info when they are created in AE, so EDIUS takes a guess on upper field
Ahhhh, okay ... there we go. Thanks, Anton! Interesting how it chose interlaced for some and progressive for others. Any idea how it makes the decision, what it's based on?

Ok, well in any case, I guess I just need to double check when I import AE exported HQX files to make sure it didn't interpret any as interlaced. Or export from AE in another format, but HQX works very well (naturally) otherwise, so probably will just have to try and remember.

Thanks again!
MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
antonsvideo

Yes, after importing from AE, switch bin to detail view, select all imported clips and set them to progressive in one hit

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
David Clarke

These days I make my clips out of AE in ProRes because everything seems to get that.

I have also noticed that if I make interlace clips from Resolve in GV HQ then EDIUS sees them as upper field but they do not play properly until I switch them to lower field.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQuickSix View Post
So, I just wrapped up a project, was outputing the final version and delivered it to the client. I later played it back on a large display and noticed SOME (not all) of the motion-graphics and titling looked like junk (un-aliased like). A previous version I tested (on the same large display a day or so earlier) looked perfect.

So I scrambled to figure out what was going on, looking at my rendered footage (from AE) to make sure the flaw was not there. Nope. Went into Edius, starting looking at the affected clips, and discovered the ones exibiting the problem were, for some reason, being interpretted as UPPER FIELD instead of progressive. I knew that had to be it, so I switched them all to PROG, and everything was great again.

I had no idea how this happened, so I took all the clips and dragged them into a new project, looked in the bin, and sure enough ... ~1/2 of them were interpretted as UPPER FIELD!! Why is Edius (7.5) doing this??

There does not seem to be any particular attribute that is trigger it either:
  • In this instance, all are HQX
  • Doesn't matter if they came from After Effects or stock footage source
  • Doesn't matter if they are 29.97, 30fps or 59.94, etc.
  • Doesn't matter if they have audio or not, or 1 channel or 2 channel
  • Doesn't matter if they have an alpha channel

Weird right? Any idea why this would be happening? Am I missing something obvious? Or is this a known bug perhaps?
this is normal..... Ive been changing the field setting in edius since day one. I am using edius 7.53.
the other issue to look out for when exporting clips from after effect using HQX codec is the white/super white setting for the clip. if you don't set the presets correctly in AE, your blacks will looked crushed and whites more brighter compared to the original clips.
if you export from AE using lossless codec, you can select either white or super white in edius.
my suggestion... do some tests and see.
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
OneQuickSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
Yes, after importing from AE, switch bin to detail view, select all imported clips and set them to progressive in one hit
Yep, that's exactly what I did, and will continue to do. Thx.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
OneQuickSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
These days I make my clips out of AE in ProRes because everything seems to get that. .
Thanks, David. I really like working with HQX and try to avoid all things Apple to be honest.
I work with it semi-regularly (ProRes) because of clients source material.
But I may take another look at using ProRes for my own output. Especially if ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
this is normal..... Ive been changing the field setting in edius since day one. I am using edius 7.53.
the other issue to look out for when exporting clips from after effect using HQX codec is the white/super white setting for the clip. <snip>
Thank you Ulysses ... good to know. I did notice that (HQX AE exports locked into super-white) and was wondering about that as well. All of this is definitely manageable, just wish HQX and AE were a little "friendlier" in the process. :)

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS