Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #1
Froggy

Default Asus Zenbook UX501VW -- very sweet laptop for Edius

For what it may be worth: Early findings, still testing the machine.....

I received an Asus Zenbook UX501VW for Christmas. It has a Skylake 6700HQ processor, Intel HD530, Nvidia GTX 960 2gb, 16 GB system ram, 512 GB SSD that is PCIe x4 lanes, 4K resolution screen, thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbs), USB 3.1 (10 Gbs) and USB 3.0 (5 Gbs) and other nice features. Weighs 5 pounds.

Quicksync screams on this thing (when using the .4300 version driver) without having to fool with a second monitor.

Internal ssd disk I/O is phenomenal. Running Windows 10. Even though the ssd is only 512gb, when editing with Edius, I plug in a 512 gb or 1tb samsung ssd on the USB 3.1/thunderbolt port, I process four camera AVCHD tracks in multicam mode and then output an lossless avi to a second 512 GB ssd plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports and it flies, no hiccups. (Seems faster than my HP Z820 with LSI Raid)

Quicksync can render an Edius MP4 in about 25% of the time line. 12 minute video renders in 3 minutes and I haven't noticed any heat -- barely warm on the bottom. (to be fair, I have only done short tests.) I use handbrake to process the avi to create a two pass MP4.

So far, very good. $1449 at B&H. Just thought I'd share. Computer may go up in smoke tomorrow when rendering larger projects, so this report is only for your amusement....

I'm very impressed with it, a measly 5 pound laptop that does not burn your leg off. And by the way, I use Edius at 1920x1080 and even though this is not the native resolution of the screen, yet the text and graphics are still sharp as a tack. How do they do that?

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Asus nor do I own any of its stock. This is fyi only... Your mileage may vary!

I'll know more about this laptop in March when I edit a large project.

PS: Sandisk makes some ssds that are said to do 700+ MBs on the thunderbolt 3 port. I plan to get one. Check out Sandisk Extreme 900 series.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
David Clarke

A lot of laptops are very powerful these days. Not all laptops that have the ability to do Quick Sync as well as having a decent graphic card. If it has a NVidia card then you should look for one that says it does "NVidia Optimus", which means it routes the NVidia through the Intel card and Quick Sync will work without another monitor attached.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Froggy

Hello David: This computer does not have Optimus. Nothing is said in the NVIDIA system info about Optimus and Optimus drivers are not installed.

It appears this computer natively runs on the Intel HD530 chipset until/unless a software package requires CUDA assit or the NVIDIA graphics engine. In theory, this is similar to the way Optimus operates, but unlike Optimus, there is no way to force this machine to run on the Nvidia card. The GTX 960 only assists the HD530 or functions when rendering is taking place. Otherwise, it idles.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
David Clarke

Actually the only way you would know our laptops have NVidia Optimus is the fact they have a little sticker on the chassis saying so. We just install the NVidia drivers and use the laptop as we would any other PC. The laptops we have without Optimus (the ones which use the desktop Skylake processor) do not let us use Quick Sync. So yours may have it or Asus may call it something else.

The important thing is it works ;-). However the ability to use Quick Sync without a second screen or a "ghost" screen is limited to laptops in my experience.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
baddgsx

That laptop has thunderbolt 3, that's soon awesome. I was just gonna throw down on the Lenovo OLED X1. No thunderbolt 3 on this one surprisingly, because it too has a 6700 chip. I still might op the X1 cause I really LOVE OLED monitors and TVs

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories