Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
plmahlik

Default Sound Problems after capturing video using ADVC-300

I have captured quite a few old videos from my VHS tapes using ADVC without a problem until now. After capturing and burning to a disk the sound is very low when played on my DVD player/recorder. When I play the DVD in my computer the sound is fine. I tried playing DVDs that I had captured and burned to disks earlier and the sound on them is fine. I burned 10 DVDs before I played them in my DVD player/recorder and noticed the low volume. The 1st 3 were OK but the rest have low volume. I tried a different brand DVD and I got the same results, low volume. It's funny because when I play them in my computer they sound fine.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited by plmahlik; 04-11-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
plmahlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
THoff

How are you judging the volume? By listening to the volume of the speakers connected to your computer, or using volume meters?
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
plmahlik

Default Volume

I'm judging the volume by listening to the volume of the speakers connected to my computer
Old 04-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
dpalomaki

If the DVD player sound level is low for some DVDs, but your computer sound level is OK, the issue rests with the playback systems. One is likely providing some form of automatic level control. (Some TV sets and/or DVD players (and even car radios) will do this to try maintain a constant level of loudness (or compensate for road noise at higher speeds).

The ADVC defaults to using professional sound levels and provides for professional level headroom (the difference between "average" sound level and clipping) in the recorded audio. Most consumer gear does not provide professional audio output levels, they typically run about -10 dB and have perhaps 12 dB of head room. Professional gear works with +4 dB and about 18 dB of head room.

If you want the sound recorded on the DVD to be at a higher level you will need to: increase the level of signal fed to the ADVC300, use the audio gain setting in the ADVC300, adjust the audio levels before you record the captured audio to DVD, or some combination of the three. Metering (included in many audio capture and editing programs and NLEs) is important if you want to optimize the digital sound levels recorded on the DVD.

The data recorded is digital, unlike with analog audio tape, the brand of DVD is not going to effect the playback level of the recorded sound. (Even with tape the effect is relatively smal.)
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
plmahlik

Default Volume

Thanks for the detailed answer to my problem. Iím using a VCR to feed the signal to the ADVC so thereís no way to adjust the audio level. Iím using Adobe Premier Elements for editing the video and it seems like it has very limited capabilities for adjusting the audio level so I would have to do the adjusting with the ADVC unit. What I canít into my head is why with some of the DVDs the sound level was great and others it was very low using the same procedure.

My TV volume normally is set at the number 16 or 18, but playing back the DVDs I can raise the volume level up to 50 or more without much difference in the sound. Iím going to play the DVDs in my daughters DVD player and see what they sound like there.

The reason I didnít notice the low volume level until I had a number of the disks burned is that I checked them out in my computer after I burned each one and they sounded great.

Thanks again for the reply.

Larry
Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
THoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmahlik View Post
Iím using a VCR to feed the signal to the ADVC so thereís no way to adjust the audio level.
Yes there is. The VCR should have volume controls on the remote or buttons on the unit itself. The audio gain of the ADVC 300 can be adjusted using the Picture Controller utility that comes with it, and it even has a Auto Gain setting if I recall correctly.

However, I wouldn't blindly adjust the volume, you really need to see audio level meters to make sure the audio is loud enough to be heard, but not clipping.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
plmahlik

Default Volume

I may be missing something but the volume button on my VCR remote adjusts the volume of my TV. I am unaware that a VCR has a volume control. I checked the Picture Controller and the volume is already set as high as it can go which is just a bit above the Default setting. The AGC is set way to the left which must be as low as it goes. And that is the default setting. Do you think moving the AGC control up would help with my problem? I may have to do some experimenting. I attached a picture of my settings on the Picture Controller.

What I donít understand is why with some of the DVDs the sound level was great and others it was very low using the same procedure. And these were the same kind of tapes that were recorded in the same Camcorder.

Thanks for the reply, itís appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CANOPUSADVC300.jpg (175.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
dpalomaki

See for more on the ADVC300 audio capability:
http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...light=300+test

Try with the AGC all the way to the right. It may help.

VHS tapes are often recorded with varying audio levels, expecially home recordings. Folks who are serious about transferring VHS to DVD will add an audio mixer with metering in the chain to ensure adequate and consistent sound levels. The Mackie 402VLZ4 is one example of a product that should work well. (There are lower cost products available as well.)

And some folks use audio editing software to adjust the audio levels after capture (e.g., pay-for Adobe Audition, Nero's suite, or shareware Audacity). FWIW: older versions of Audition (e.g., v1.5, before Adobe changed its licensing models) can often be found on ebay at reasonable prices.

Sounds like one of your playback systems may include some form of AGC/compression to maintain subjective volume levels.

Some VCRs, DVD and CD players do have audio output level controls, and many do not.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
plmahlik

Default Volume

Thanks, I really appreciate your help on this. I have the videos on VHS tapes that I took with a full sized Camcorder. I have 2 hours of video on each tape. I transfer 1 hour at a time to a DVD. So I get two DVDs from one VHS tape. The funny part of this is that I transferred two 1 hour segments from the first 2 hour tape and the first hour of the 2nd tape successfully. It was when I transferred the 2nd hour of the 2nd VHS tape that the volume was low, and it was low on every one after. Is it possible that something went wrong with my ADVC-300 unit? Are the Y/C and NR lights under 3D Processing supposed to be lit when capturing video? Thanks again

PS I will take your advise under consideration.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
dpalomaki

Sounds like something (a setting somewhere) changed between the 3rd and 4th hour. How does it sound if you connect the VCR directly to the TV?

The 3D processing lights apply to video, not audio.
See the Filter tab in Picture Controller, and pages 38-39 of the manual for details.
The Y/C light does not apply using a s-video connection.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC