Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default HDBX1000 PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card.

I am trying to extend the life of my HDBX1000 system, but my new computer is PCI Express and my HDBX's card is the older PCI interface.

Does anyone know of a solution that would allow me to plug my HDBX's card into an adapter that plugs/converts PCI Express from the motherboard to the PCI of the HDBX's card.

Here is a card, has anyone had any experience of it?

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/15376...Height-Bracket

Also, and this may be a GV question. The HDBX's PCI card is a 64bit interface, as in the longer connection. Will it be fine in the shorter 32bit interface/socket?

I would imagine that this scenario may be one that has been asked of GV in the past, due to the TV installations that will have been using this system.

I would really appreciate any help with this, as the HDBX is a real work horse interface and built like a tank, and other than no HDMI it's the best GV interface ever in my opinion. Also, I assume it works with Edius 7 as the E7 install on my old XW8600 sees the PCI card and it shows up in E7, although I haven't fully tried it with the HDBX1000 breakout box yet.

TIA.
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Adbear

For the card to work properly you will need a PCI-X socket (64bit)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Thanks for that Adam.

I though that I had read in some Old Canopus documentation that the card would still work on the 32bit interface, as it does also fit it, but have never tried. I am having difficulty finding anything that does PCIE to a long/64bit socket, can only find one so far that is to the short 32bit socket. Which is a real pity as the HDBX has been brilliant in my old XW8600.

BTW. This post is not a moan about old unsupported hardware. And It's really admirable that GV managed to keep the HDBX alive as long as they have with at least software/driver compatibility with successive versions of Edius. The physical interface is just a sign of the times.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Adbear

I suppose parts of it may still work in a 32bit socket, that would depend on how it was made, but you will lose some of the functionality.
The only people I'm aware of that still make boards with PCI-X are Supermicro
Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool TV View Post
Thanks for that Adam.

I though that I had read in some Old Canopus documentation that the card would still work on the 32bit interface, as it does also fit it, but have never tried. I am having difficulty finding anything that does PCIE to a long/64bit socket, can only find one so far that is to the short 32bit socket. Which is a real pity as the HDBX has been brilliant in my old XW8600.

BTW. This post is not a moan about old unsupported hardware. And It's really admirable that GV managed to keep the HDBX alive as long as they have with at least software/driver compatibility with successive versions of Edius. The physical interface is just a sign of the times.

Cheers,
Dave.
Dave, what is not performing well in your XW 8400 ?

I just ordered a Super micro X7WDA-N with 2 64 bit PCI-X slots, I got a couple of X5470 Xeon chips from eBay and still had 16GB buffered ram, so hopefully I'm up and running by next week with my HDBX1000H. .......

If you require 1600fsb and ram on full speed there are still pairs of chips to be found for a reasonable price.
You could get some heavy duty coolers and overclock them for a still very decent performance.

The X5470 system I'm building will still perform way above my needs and the HDBX1000H will never do more than full HD, it will be nice to have it in working order next to maybe a 4K system in future :)

Not sure what cpu chips you have but I'm sure it worked well in the past when you purchased it.

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Adbear

You can buy newer chipset boards from Supermicro that still have PCI-X slots which is why I suggested them
Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
Dave, what is not performing well in your XW 8400 ?

I just ordered a Super micro X7WDA-N with 2 64 bit PCI-X slots, I got a couple of X5470 Xeon chips from eBay and still had 16GB buffered ram, so hopefully I'm up and running by next week with my HDBX1000H. .......

If you require 1600fsb and ram on full speed there are still pairs of chips to be found for a reasonable price.
You could get some heavy duty coolers and overclock them for a still very decent performance.

The X5470 system I'm building will still perform way above my needs and the HDBX1000H will never do more than full HD, it will be nice to have it in working order next to maybe a 4K system in future :)

Not sure what cpu chips you have but I'm sure it worked well in the past when you purchased it.
Hi Tony.

The HDBX and XW8600 are great and working perfectly. I am trying to fit the HDBX into another machine that only has PCIE slots, so am trying to find a convertor that will allow the PCIE slot to be turned into a PCI.

As I am not monitoring above 1080, the HDBX is still perfect for my needs and it would be great to keep it going as long as possible. Although a Spark or BM Mini is really all I need, it would be great to have all the options of the HDBX in case the occasion arises.

Mine also has the extra HD board, so is the fully loaded system which has all the I/O options, and it also looks really cool sitting in my edit bay :) In fact, thinking about it. I also have it wired to two monitors simultaneously, one plasma HD and a CRT SD monitor. As the HDBX will send both HD and SD simultaneously, which is real cool as you can have perminent SD monitoring on a CRT as you edit in HD. Which is great in case you need to see the SD version and how your timeline works interlaced.

I really don't want to see it become a full time door stop and couldn't abide selling it off at some crazy through the floor price. There are probably many HDBX owners out there in this position, which is a real shame as it is a fantastic piece of kit, and its sparse black monolithic looking front panel looks really cool sitting in my rack. Seriously, it looks like Darth Vadar's editing system :)

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Adbear

Does the old machine also have a PCI slot? If so you could try taking the card out of the PCI-X and put it in the PCI slot to see how well it runs
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

Hi Dave,

Indeed it's a cool looking box, you can't tell it's age by the looks :)

Before I bought the unit I was looking at a spark, I made a crazy offer to the previous owner of the box and had it just a little over the spark price, it even came with Edius 6 stand alone I smaller and a beloved dangle, can't think twice I a case like that.
Unfortunately my old server board died so the cost when up a bit.

1080 is my usage also but i miss out again on the 1080p which it can't do unfortunately.
As long as it lives I won't sell it or use it as door stopper, it's too cool for that.

O.T. you could try the PCI-X converter solution but I am always very skeptical to 'items' like that.
Anyway to 'try before you buy' where you live :)
From my experience in DAW systems is that PCI cards work great in PCI-X slots, the other way around actually never.
Keep in mind that there should be a valid reason for the RE-X1 card to be 64 bit vs 32 bit.
If the adapter was PCI express to PCI-X would try it looking at the investment....

I wasn't aware of the capability (knew it but forgotten) that the unit has simultanious HD & SD output, last year I gave my SD trinitron monitor away due to space constrain, now I regret......

It would be nice if GV made a small PCIe replacement card for the RE-X1 card but as the cost would be stellar with low volume sales it would be more cost effective to buy a Elite box, but one can hope for a free exchange when and if it happens :)

As Adam suggested you could go for a newer mobo and chip but that will cost a bundle so........

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
Does the old machine also have a PCI slot? If so you could try taking the card out of the PCI-X and put it in the PCI slot to see how well it runs
Hi Adam.

You are absolutely right. The only reason I haven't tried is because my old machine is packed to the gills with extra cards for my raid and other DSP stuff with fans. It took a while to get the slot configuration right for everything to work, and don't want to disrupt it just in case, am quite sure you've been there before.

My main hope for this post was that someone from GV might pop up with a magic solution, as they will have many installations with many TV stations, and maybe this issue has already come up and been solved.

Cheers,
Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories