Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
DIGITALPOST

Default GV HDX AVI file

Can a vanilla windows machine with WMP, play a file that has been exported
using the GV HDX AVI format?
Or will it need to install codec or plugin to play the file?

Thanks
DIGITALPOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITALPOST View Post
Can a vanilla windows machine with WMP, play a file that has been exported
using the GV HDX AVI format?
Or will it need to install codec or plugin to play the file?

Thanks
You need the codec pack. Although I've had issues of Windows not seeing HQ/X even with codecs installed???

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:58 AM   #3
antonsvideo

if the HQX or HQ files are interlaced, WMP will play it with the wrong field order of lower field and it will flicker like crazy

WMP assumes that all avi files are lower field

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
Liverpool TV

Also, if the HQ/X files are progressive, as well as interlaced, there are instances where Windows MP and other Windows players do not render the video but play the audio.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 AM   #5
antonsvideo

I found that any 10bit HQ/X file plays audio only in WMP

however, since my files are mostly interlaced, I don't use WMP to play HQ/X because the HQ/X codec does not supply field order info to the player

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 09-02-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
Liverpool TV

I've found this myself, although the lack of video overlay can also extend to progressive and 8bit (HQ).

Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 AM   #7
antonsvideo

WMP can play mpeg2 HD with the correct field order since the mpeg codec supplies field order info to WMP

however, set the file to 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0 in extended settings and WMP displays black

WMP is lacking serious updating, not sure if it has improved in Win10

Old 09-02-2016, 02:48 AM   #8
Liverpool TV

I've never had a problem with MPEG2, although I only encode intra frame variants at 4:2:0 from Edius.

To be totally honest, and I'm not wanting start anything here but. I've never had much success with HQ/X playback in general on Windows, not just with MP but with most players on the OS, and I'm using 10.

Maybe it's down to pragmatism but I always use Edius for HQ/X anyway, and use other codecs for intermediates from my master HQ/X files. As a for instance, I use HQ/X at full quality for everything that I do, as I'm totally sold on the codec. But if i need to pass on my master to something else, Handbrake as an example, I do a transcode of my HQ/X master to YUY2 as the intermediate.

While I appreciate that this may seem a bit convoluted, as you could feed something like TMPGenc with HQ/X. I've always had problems with HQ/X in an extended workflow. Again, I'm not complaining, but I've gotten used to certain Edius idiosyncrasies, as you would with any NLE, and am just used to it now.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
DIGITALPOST

When I render to H.264/AVC, the client can play the file fine on vanilla windows
with WMP. I was looking to deliver a better quality video file with uncompressed audio, without extra needed codecs or trouble.

I must say.... the H.264/AVC export plugin does a pretty good job.
DIGITALPOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:01 AM   #10
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITALPOST View Post
When I render to H.264/AVC, the client can play the file fine on vanilla windows
with WMP. I was looking to deliver a better quality video file with uncompressed audio, without extra needed codecs or trouble.

I must say.... the H.264/AVC export plugin does a pretty good job.
Try Handbrake and set the audio to 'pass through' if you feed it an intermediate with uncompressed audio. Although, if you use other h.264 encoders, their AAC encoders will more than likely be indistinguishable from the uncompressed master, even at moderately low bitrates.

It may also be worth bearing in mind that uncompressed audio, while possible in a MP4 file, isn't usual and may cause issues with certain playback software and devices.

If you are happy with Edius' h.264 video, it creates a great AAC encode, especially at the higher bitrates.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS