Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
baddgsx

Default Can't install Edius 8 because Windows 7 won't update on fresh install

Hi friends,

I was going to install edius 8 on my workstation but a Windows update requirement was needed. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit and Windows keeps saying checking for updates. I tried downloading .net frame work 4.5 and that didn't help. My internet connection is ok, able to surf web and register with Microsoft. Any ideas, I can't believe I'm going through this crap, lol. Microsoft owes me ALOT of TIME. And they will pay up :)
Old 03-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Adbear

Pretty standard for this time of day. We always find that once the USA wakes up Windows updates go to hell so we always try to do them before midday GMT
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
CentralEurope

Quote:
but a Windows update requirement was needed.
you mean this generally, or you mean two special update ...what Edius need/ask??

I mean the old Installer-Problem with MS KB3033929 and KB3035131
____
Hans
[the AMD 1950X 16cores / 32 threads = go return because of massive problems, Not only I had these problems]
CentralEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
plasma_video

You will have to have the patience of Job. I just did a rebuild on several ( don't laugh) Vista PCs and learned the hard way after trying all of the tricks to force Windows Update to work that you have to wait it out. Today's rebuild took 5 hours of searching for updates before 192 of them appeared ready for install. Once it got past that, the rest sailed along. I spent many hours of troubleshooting this on the first PC before stumbling across a blog about this very topic. The author said it once took nearly 8 hours of waiting, and for some reason, the wait time increased this past November. He also mentioned the same slow problem starting in Win 7 as well. It must be something different MS is doing now, making you wait until a whole vat of updates get delivered at once, rather than piecemeal. That's just a guess on my part. Maybe it's their subtle way of "encouraging" upgrade to Win 10.
plasma_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #5
plasma_video

BTW, Edius 6.08 runs just great on Vista. Never had any issues.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
Adbear

If you are doing multiple systems using older OS's you could use something like 'Portup' it's a small utility that downloads all the updates to a local drive (I use a USB pen) then can be run from there to install updates. It can cope with multiple OS's so you can have updates for Win XP, Vista, 7 & 8 on the same pen without them interfering. You do need to get the downloads in the first place, but it does save time when their are issues with the online servers or if you are building multiple machines as you don't have to wait for it to keep downloading each time
http://www.portableupdate.com/
Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
SoundFreak_HD

Talking

Thanks for sharing this piece of nifty software.
It will really help me as I don't have any Internet connection at home, I can safe lots of data used via my mobile tethering........

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
plasma_video

Yes, thanks for sharing. I'll check that out today. I've imaged the last rebuild with all the updates, so if I end up refurbishing a similar machine, it should just be a matter of applying the image. I enjoy recycling older computers to pass on or use for various projects.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
plasma_video

I downloaded and tried Portable Update on a new rebuild today. Unfortunately, it saves no time. In fact, due to the way it works, it takes TWICE AS LONG as using the standard Windows Updater. First, it polls the computer for needed updates, loads them into its cache, and does a second scan for updates needed before installing. I guess the second time around on a like OS, the double scan would not be necessary, as the updates are in the local thumbdrive cache. I'm still puzzled as to why the app is designed as it is. I certainly can't see using it for a fresh OS install. However, it does point the finger at the slowness issue in general. It's the Windows Update Agent, that searches the computer forever before even starting to download updates.

What I'm going to look at next is to see if there's a way to trick Windows into applying updates that are dropped into the Software Distribution folder from the now full Portable Updater updates cache directory. I'll play with that on the next build. Right now, Portable Updater is into the 12th hour of doing its thing ~
Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #10
Adbear

It has to be designed that way, The first poll isn't to poll the local machine, it polls the update server and checks to see what updates it has in it's local folder then downloads any missing updates so your local folder is up to date, then you can use that on multiple machines. It is good for when the update servers take a long time. I use it all the time on fresh installs especially if I'm trying to do updates in the afternoon as the Windows update servers pretty much die over here later in the day so having the ability to do updates from a pen instead saves time and bandwidth.

If you don't have the machine connected to the net then it should be fairly quick to do the first scan and see what's missing from your system, then just tell it to install the files. I can have the Windows update page sitting there for hours with nothing happening. I reboot then run portup and it's can be updated in under an hour from a clean install of Win 7 with SP1.

The other option would be to make new install discs for the OS with the updates slipstreamed in

Last edited by Adbear; 03-12-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS