Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
MinMinc.

Default One more service pack question...????

I began a service pack update from 2 to 3...went to windows update and went to install the updates. I go the box stating installation status, and that the Initialzing installation is done. and a installing progress bar came up and four green progress bars came up in about 20 minutes, looks like another 50 to go....seemed to have stopped installing...any idea what to do, let it go overnight, dont want to stop it and risk screwing up the computer. ps the estimated time at my connection speed was 33 minutes.....please help. Gary
MinMinc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Rusty

Long as your internet connection is working you should be fine.
If you stop, clear your cache before trying again.
BTW, E5 works great with SP3. (now OT) :~)

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
redgum

SP3 is fussy with hardware. In fact MS has a warning on the download version if some part of your system is too slow not to proceed. Could you have missed any such warning?
The CD version doesn't appear to have this restriction. If you stop the dowmload SP3 will simply reverse the process (undo).
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
swsw1550

You shouldn't have any problems at all with SP3, it is normally only about 60 to 70 mg in size if you use Microsoft update, and don't download the full version,
system Requirments min:
A 233 megahertz (MHz) processor
64 megabytes (MB) of RAM
900 MB of available disk space during installation

the update is basicly network improvements, Security, stability updates,enhanced functionalities, general fixes that might have been missed with SP1 or SP2, anyway go for it, you shouldn't have any problems ( use Microsoft Update)

Steve
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
MinMinc.

The only reason I was going to update (which locked up during download, haven't tried the cd route)...was because cs4 won't allow me to load the program without service pack 3....anyone with the same experience...Gary
MinMinc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
pjsssss

Sorry, I can't help. I already had SP3 on the computer when I loaded CS4.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
THoff

I would download the "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers", which is a single large file that can be run independently of an Internet connection. It is intended to be used for updating multiple PCs to avoid repeated downloads, which can be slow and consume lots of network bandwidth.

I've heard that there are situations under which the Windows Update update to XP SP3 doesn't update all files, whereas the Network Installation Package doesn't have the problem.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
swsw1550

Just let Microsoft update do it for you, it is only 60 to 70meg normally, and the new CS4 does need SP3 to install. I have tried the full Network installation package download on computers and have had it fail at about 3/4 the way through the install.

Steve
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
I would download the "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers", which is a single large file that can be run independently of an Internet connection.
When making use of a download manager like FDM http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm or Orbit http://www.orbitdownloader.com/ (both free) it doesn't matter how long it takes or you can even do it in several sessions spanning days apart, it will auto resume where it left of, providing the file on the hosting server is still available and unchanged.

It is always advisable to download update's in full to your HDD, only then install, this rule of thumb applies actually for any software update, never use download and install, or install while downloading if possible, to avoid problems.

Note : I use Orbit daily to get trail version etc, it's spyware / adware free and works well.
For beginners FDM is a cleaner / easier interface, there are of course many others available .............

Last edited by SoundFreak; 01-13-2009 at 05:23 AM.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

I use FlashGot and DownThemAll, but I'm a Firefox fan. :)

While we're on the subject, it's also best practice to extract archives to a temporary folder, then install. While WinZip and other archive managers will often let you run Setup files and such directly, often times this causes problems as not all installation files are accessible.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS