Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
ron_kelly

Default Moving objects are a bit fuzzy & not clear

Hi All,

I have recently purchased the ADVC-300 unit. I am converting from VHS to digital, and sending the info from the advc to my pc via firewire. I am using Edius Pro 4 to capture the video. The picture quality is great, however there seems to be a problem with moving objects, for example, a person walking along. They appear to be a little bit 'fuzzy' and have a kind of 'liney' appearance. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the settings on the unit or a problem with the unit itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
ron_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
7hbg

There maybe a number of things, but I suspect that what you are describing is an interlaced video playing on a progressive computer display, a bit of ‘fuzz’ is ok, the two display the same image differently. To test the quality of your video, just play your timeline back to the ADVC300 and watch it on a (interlaced) video monitor or TV, it should not have any ‘fuzz’ in it.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
ron_kelly

Thanks Rob, i'm quite new to all of this. I also burnt the captured video to DVD and the output is exactly the same on my tv. Moving objects still appear 'liney'. Not sure how else to describe it, but maybe 'fuzzy' isn't the best word. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
7hbg

Ok then, just wait few minutes and someone else will offer you a different explanation.
BTW, is your TV a tube type (interlaced) or flat (progressive)?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
ron_kelly

Sorry Rob. Yes, i have a flat tv. So how do i get top quality on a progressive display? When i create a project in Edius 4 i have tried setting the input to both progressive (720p) and interlaced (1080i) but still get the same effect.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
pjsssss

It sound like you are using HD settins for SD video (coming from a VHS). Try an SD setting in Edius and see what you get.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #7
ron_kelly

Thanks for the advice guys. It seems that the problem is actually with the tape itself. I have noticed that commercial tapes give perfect quality, while vhs tapes created by amateurs give the "comb" effect on moving objects. Is there anything i can do to make these kind of tapes work with 100% quality?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
antonsvideo

the comb effect is caused by an unstable timebase

a time base corrector can fix this

the best VHS TBC and Noise Reduction is built inside the Sony SVO 5600 and 5800 series of player/recorders

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
ron_kelly

Thanks Anton. I believe the ADVC-300 has a built in tbc! Is there any reason why it wouldn't be doing the job properly? I actually got the advc from the USA, and have set one of the DIP switches from NTSC to PAL. Anything else i am missing here? Cheers

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC