Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Mike Truly

Default PC3 Dongle Tied to Actual Conversion Start

I feel a feature request coming on.

Currently, the PC3 dongle is tied to running the app. If you don't have the dongle, you can't run the app. At first this would seem logical but I think there's a better way.

I would like to have the PC dongle tied to the actual start of the conversion process, not the app. Tied to the ability of a single system to encode. Here's why.

Currently, I have 5 Dual Quad Core systems running XP x64, each with 8GB. 4 of these systems are headless systems that are rack mounted. I would like to be able to plug the PC3 Dongle into one of these systems and make it the actual encoding system. But I still need to be able to run the PC3 app to setup PC projects and presets. These systems have no keyboard, mouse or monitor... they are controlled via RealVNC. This control works but it is very slow to interact with and you wouldn't want to do it for very long so it's unacceptable to actually run the PC3 app on.

If the PC3 dongle was tied to the actual 'Convert' button or if PC3 used a license server type approach, where you would specify in the app (one time) to look to a particular IP address for the dongle when encoding, I could run the app to build presets or projects and then do the actual encoding on the encoding system.

I'm not holding my breath that this will actually be done but it would protect Grass Valley while at the same time giving me more operational options.

Oh well, it's a thought.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K
Mike Truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
pjsssss

That is a well thought out request Mike. But I also think there is little chance of that changing because I doubt there are very many in the same situation as you. However, you should submit that as a reature request.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Mike Truly

pjsssss,

Yeah... you're probably right. I'll probably just have to sneakernet the dongle back and forth.

I think I need to setup some Watch Folders too. This would allow me to setup a bunch of presets in advance and then simply drop the source files into the proper folder on the remote system and PC3 would go to work automatically without further intervention from me.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K
Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

You're starting to play outside the realm of what ProCoder is intended to be for, when you start running a single license on multiple machines.

Really, your choices are:

1. Buy extra ProCoder licenses
2. Look into the multi system/farming solutions offered with Rhozet's Carbon Coder

I don't think that you'll ever see a change to the dongle security that matches what you're after.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Mike Truly

Kenneally,

Well it was just a thought. Probably buying extra Procoder licenses would be the easiest method. But I think I may be able to live with the watch folder/sneakernet method for now.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If you really want to do it (seriously though, it'd be easier just to get a dongle for each)...
  1. Put the dongle in the local machine
  2. Run ProCoder
  3. Save the project somewhere (like on shared storage), making sure all paths will still be valid on the machine processing the job
  4. Close ProCoder
  5. Move the dongle to the remote machine
  6. Start the conversion kernel on remote machine
  7. Queue the project via commandline on remote machine (check the ProCoder Help for proper commandline options)
  8. Go do something else
I just run ProCoder on my server via Remote Desktop. You have to use the /CONSOLE switch for MSTSC (that's the Remote Desktop Client), and if you want to see video images (not so fluid here, but enough to set filters) then you need to disable the option to use overlay in the ProCoder settings.

Actually since none of my machines are truly multi-user, I run all my Remote Desktop sessions as console.

I used to use UltraVNC (great VNC server/client if you're running Windows), but Remote Desktop is faster.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Mike Truly

Brandon,

Thanks very much for this info. In particular, the Remote Desktop info. I did a test and it is much faster than my RealVNC which will improve my productivity greatly.

One question related to this. I figured out how to connect to the remote desktop via Remote Desktop. But each time I do, I have to logon to the remote desktop. Also in RealVNC, I have created a bunch of desktop shortcuts that when clicked, will instantly open the desired computers desktop. Is there a way with Remote Desktop to be able to create some shortcuts or favorites that will automatically send the logon info so I can open and access these desktops quickly?

When the connection is open to a desktop, if I try to save a favorite, it only saves the favorite for the local Remote Desktop access page, not the remote machine being accessed.

Thanks!

Mike Truly
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Hi Mike,

What you'll want to do is...
  1. Run Remote Desktop Connection, set up your parameters, then Save the connection as an .rdp file.
  2. Create a shortcut to MSTSC (Copy the shortcut for Remote Desktop Connection) to the desktop.
  3. Edit the shortcut, and add the following parameters after the mstsc.exe:
    filepath_to_rdp_file_saved_in_step_1 /v:name_or_IP_of_machine /console
For example, to connect to machine RemoteServer in console mode using the settings saved in file RemoteMachine.rdp in your My Documents folder, the shortcut would look like:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe "%userprofile%\My Documents\RemoteMachine.rdp" /v:RemoteServer

When you launch the shortcut, it will still ask for a username and password (it'll default to the logged-in username). Depending on whether you're logged into a domain, there may or may not be a checkbox to "Remember my password"

There are other options you can set on the command line (in the shortcut) too. Open Command Prompt and run mstsc -? and it'll give you the options.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Mike Truly

Thank you Brandon! I'll give this a try.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 07-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
rgroesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Truly View Post
One question related to this. I figured out how to connect to the remote desktop via Remote Desktop. But each time I do, I have to logon to the remote desktop. Also in RealVNC, I have created a bunch of desktop shortcuts that when clicked, will instantly open the desired computers desktop. Is there a way with Remote Desktop to be able to create some shortcuts or favorites that will automatically send the logon info so I can open and access these desktops quickly?
Mike,

You can.
In the .rdp file you can set the following entries:
  • audiomode:i:1 (Leave audio remote)
  • connect to console:i:1 (Connect to console)
  • username:s:<string> (String is probably 'Administrator')
  • password 51:b:<binary> (I don't use this one, but I guess <binary> is filled in when you select 'save')
  • domain:s:<string> (<string> is the domain)

Example..

Code:
audiomode:i:1
connect to console:i:1
screen mode id:i:1
desktopwidth:i:800
desktopheight:i:600
session bpp:i:16
auto connect:i:1
full address:s:192.168.1.12
compression:i:1
keyboardhook:i:2