Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Robbafett

Default Captured volume higher without ADVC-300?

Hi!

The volume is higher when capturing video (with firewire) without the ADVC-300?
My question is why?

Here it goes:
I tried capturing video from my miniDVcamera with a firewire straight into the computer, no ADVC-300 involved that is.

Then I tried capturing the same video with the same miniDV camera but plugging it via the ADVC-300 with S-video and a stereo/video cable (but without the videocable plugged in).

The result is that the sound is higher (quite noticable higher, although the soundquality seems to be the same) when using firewire straight into the computer without the ADVC-300.
I tried the same thing with a digital8 camera with the same result.

I know that it´s possible to increase the volume on the ADVC-300 but the default value of 237 is quite high already since 255 is maximum. Don´t want to risk soundclipping if capturing sources with a high volume level.

Any input appreciated!
Robert

Last edited by Robbafett; 02-26-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Robbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
kbosward

Not sure why this is happening, it could be a low audio output from your camera. Is the sound level lower than expected when you connect your camera directly to a TV?

But a more fundamental question is, why are you capturing from your camera through the ADVC-300? To do this, your camera has to convert its recorded DV data to analog, and then the ADVC300 has to convert this back to DV. This is an unnecessary double conversion with loss of quality. Why not just capture your camera's DV directly to computer? No conversion is done, the DV data is simply copied to the computer. The ADVC300 is designed for when the ONLY source you have is an analog video signal (such as VHS or Video8 camera).

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
THoff

For analog to digital conversions, the audio volume is dependent on the audio volume setting and whether AGC (Auto Gain Control) is enabled in the ADVC-300. But as kbosward said, why not just use the DV available from the camera? That way you wind up exactly with what the camera captured.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
why not just use the DV available from the camera
Exactly, when you have a digital source it's advisable to stay digital.

I had several DV tapes before (from clients) that I had to capture using S Video due to the fact that when captured through firewire it showed corruption (discused by other users in this forum - using consumer DV cam)

When comparing the quality from firewire vs YC capture the result is close but NOT the same.

Firewire transfer is a digital copy of the footage, YC will be a captured version of it with losses to both video & audio, however small it's lossy.

Also the audio will "sound" ever so little diffrent due to conversion DA (source) to AD (playout & capture) when transfered fro tape on HDD, this will incur level variations.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Robbafett

Hi again and thanks for all the valuable replies,

I agree that "If it´s digital - stay digital".

The reason I tried it was because I wanted to see if I could benefit from the ADVC-300 TBC (Time Base Corrector) on old video8/hi8 tapes that my digital8 camera with firewire out also can playback. I shouldn´t loose anything in quality with the video8/hi8 tapes when using the s-video cable to the ADVC-300 compared to firewire straight into the computer, right? I can understand that the quality will suffer slightly when putting miniDV and digital8 material through the ADVC-300 since it´s digital.

And speaking of TBC, I don´t think the ADVC-300 cleans up disturbances, not even small ones (the splitsecond small horizontal lines that appear on all old tapes) from say VHS tapes. Anyone that disagrees? If someone has a suggestion for a great working standalone TBC please share.

Take care,
Robert
Robbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
SoundFreak
Banned

Back in the days that I did a lot of vhs to dvd transfer I used a tbc from datavideo tbc 1000, single channel full frame 4:2:2 time base corrector with distribution amplifier, 1 input, 4 out.

It provided a good stable sync, nothing to complain there, but what "cleaning" is concerned you get what you pay for.

I guess if you want to extreme improvements you'll need to fork out much more than (USD 300+) for a unit like that...............
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC