Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 07-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #11
southskies

Default Compression

Yes, the aim is to be able to watch the video on a large screen TV. In the past I have used handbrake to save videos to AVI (500-700mb files) which were of reasonable quality (in my opinion) to watch on a big screen TV. I was thinking of using handbrake for the same effect here.

I have used handbrake with the supplied settings, and the video could not be played on either of my PC's.

Trying to play the file in VLC game me the following error

mp4 error: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov,foov,moof box)
avcodec error: Could not open T:\testvhs1.mp4: Specified event object handle is invalid

Here is specs of the files:

INPUT FILE

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\My Project 2.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Commercial name : DV
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 16.6 GiB
Duration : 1 h 18 min
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 30.3 Mb/s

Video
ID : 0
Format : DV
Codec ID : dvsd
Codec ID/Hint : Sony
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 24.4 Mb/s
Encoded bit rate : 28.8 Mb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357
Time code of first frame : 00:00:11:05
Time code source : Subcode time code
Stream size : 15.7 GiB (95%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 860 MiB (5%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (25.00 video frames)

OUTPUT FILE:

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]

(No other information available)
southskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
southskies

Default Compression

This problem is stumping me.

I'm testing with some more settings. With the original settings, the static was lined up in 26 (approx) columns across the screen. If I do a prntscreen, and copy the image into paint, a strange effect.

The VLC window is displayed in paint, along with the screen image of what is in the VLC window, but the flickering distortion lines do not display. It looks fine. However if you scroll the whole image inside of paint, the VLC window outline goes up and down as you would expect with scrolling the window, but the image inside of the VLC picture does not move.

If I close paint and reopen it, it shows the VLC window, but there is a black (blank) image inside of VLC, rather that the image of what was in the video at that time.

I've taken the videos to a different PC, and there are no lines. So it appears that there is problems with that other PC.

I'll keep experimenting with those other settings that you have provided and lets see how it goes.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
southskies

Default Compression

Using Anton's settings, I cannot get the mp4 file to play using VLC, I get the error "mp4 error: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov,foov,moof box)".

I've gone back and tweaked my file output settings so they mirror another file that will play on the TV. The settings are so close, but it still will not play on the TV. It will play on the PC fine.

I will do more testing over the next few days.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Willwork.txt (3.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt wontwork.txt (3.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #14
antonsvideo

you are not following my settings because you are producing files that are not PAL

one of yours is 720x428 and the 0ther 720x574

Pal requires 720x576

your Handbrake is too old, you need 0.10.5.0 version which is the best (any newer version is rubbish and full of useless presets that are out of spec)

64bit windows version https://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?fi...1.exe&old=true
32 bit windows version https://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?fi...1.exe&old=true

to make videos for TV playback via USB, export mpeg2 program stream, 8mbps to 12mbps will be good bitrate for mpeg2 PAL, and it will be proper interlaced PAL, make sure you set the exporter to upper field first

NOTE: Handbrake does not make interlaced files, but your PAL captures are interlaced and as such, mpeg2 program stream with upper field first will give you the best playback on a TV

EDIUS 9 WG & EDIUS 7.53 with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 4 WD RE4 2TB in Raid5 for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro

Last edited by antonsvideo; 07-17-2017 at 01:18 AM.
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #15
southskies

Default Great advice

Thanks for your help Anton,

I ended up partitioning the HD, and installing Win 7 and the latest version of Handbrake as advised. Both the standard settings as well as the settings that you provided both work to generate a file that displays on my TV, but there was obviously more benefits with your settings as the output file ended up being much smaller in size.

I think there was some fundamental problem with something in the XP setup as not even the paint application was working correctly.

Several more questions:

1. In your screen shots, the source code displayed in handbrake with an additional parameter, so it now showed

720X576 Aspect Ratio 1.33 PAR 16/15.

Where did this PAR setting come from and is it of any importance?

2. The thin distortion line still appears at the base of the picture when displaying it on the big TV. Should I remove this with the cropping parameter on the Picture setting? I suspect that it will then replace it with a black line instead, so perhaps not a good idea?

3. Given that I want to be able to replay these VHS images on my big flat screen TV, should I be upping the resolution / quality of the output file by bumping up the RF value to say 23?

Is it all downhill from here?

Steve
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #16
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by southskies View Post
Thanks for your help Anton,

I ended up partitioning the HD, and installing Win 7 and the latest version of Handbrake as advised. Both the standard settings as well as the settings that you provided both work to generate a file that displays on my TV, but there was obviously more benefits with your settings as the output file ended up being much smaller in size.

I think there was some fundamental problem with something in the XP setup as not even the paint application was working correctly.

Several more questions:

1. In your screen shots, the source code displayed in handbrake with an additional parameter, so it now showed

720X576 Aspect Ratio 1.33 PAR 16/15.

Where did this PAR setting come from and is it of any importance?

2. The thin distortion line still appears at the base of the picture when displaying it on the big TV. Should I remove this with the cropping parameter on the Picture setting? I suspect that it will then replace it with a black line instead, so perhaps not a good idea?

3. Given that I want to be able to replay these VHS images on my big flat screen TV, should I be upping the resolution / quality of the output file by bumping up the RF value to say 23?

Is it all downhill from here?

Steve
1. my screenshot also shows PAR (this is normal)

2. the distortion line is the head switch point of VHS, it is normal, you can zoom in with software like EDIUS and use the layouter, or crop it. EDIUS also makes perfect mpeg2 program stream that will play on any TV (no need for Handbrake)

3. I always set bitrate and never use RF value
You can set bitrate to 12,000 and that will be plenty for SD

4. you may also need to add an extra value in the extra options field at the bottom: ttf=1 or bff=1 depending on if the captured clip is top field first or bottom field first

If you don't add this value, the mp4 will be progressive

EDIUS 9 WG & EDIUS 7.53 with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 4 WD RE4 2TB in Raid5 for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #17
southskies

Default Idiot award of the year!

I've just discovered my problem.

I had captured 3 hrs of video, and was wanting to test how a small section would appear. So, I played handbrake to 5 minutes, then clicked stop.

Whilst it did create an avi, it had no integrity. So, it wasn't a problem with the handbrake version. It was the way I was using it.

That out of the way, I was unable to set the width and height to be 720X576. Setting it to be Anamorphic None, changed the height to be lower. However, if I left it as strict, I did get the 720X576.

Now that the difficult part is out of the way, my next question is what is the best way to capture the AVI in the first place. I'm using premiere elements.

I want to be able to capture the incoming file, then splice it before sending it through handbrake. Premiere does do splicing, but it is doing more than that as well. I just want a simple splicer without changing the content.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #18
southskies

Default Capture

I've tried the avidemux to try and splice the avi, but it then seems to be re-encoding it as well.

Ahh... I see that I can change the encoding to start from a certain time in handbrake so I'll go with that.

Is Adobe Premiere still good for the capture?

Also, now looking at doing some conversion of some old Beta tapes. It uses a BNC connector at the back, that I have a RCA connector for. When playing the video back through a TV, the picture is very grainy. Is this because the tape is degrading, or is it the Beta player or is it that the BNC plug is not of high grade?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #19
dpalomaki

Are you are trying to splice several split AVI files that are limited to 2 GB into one large file larger than 2 GB?

With Windows I've found with some camcorder split files I can splice them using the good old DOS binary COPY command with concatenation. The syntax is something like:

COPY /B source1 + source2 +source3 destination

From the command prompt enter COPY /? for more detailed help.

Your drive format must support files larger than 2 GB.

If capturing from the firewire output, if Premiere works for you it should be as good an any since all it is doing is recording the DV stream to disc, not coding or transcoding.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #20
southskies

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll give the COPY command a go. Most of the files I am dealing with are less that 1GB.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC