Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
sharif_al

Default Which CPU do you advise me to buy ???

Dear
I want to buy a new CPU , but I am not sure which is better for edius
CPU's that supports intel quick sync video or CPU's that does not support like :

1- Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz 12MB

or

2- Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3Ghz 13.75MB L3 Cache s2066

Which of these is better for edius for smooth edit in HD & 4K especially ( multicam ) and for fast export ?
sharif_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharif_al View Post
Dear
I want to buy a new CPU , but I am not sure which is better for edius
CPU's that supports intel quick sync video or CPU's that does not support like :

1- Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz 12MB

or

2- Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3Ghz 13.75MB L3 Cache s2066

Which of these is better for edius for smooth edit in HD & 4K especially ( multicam ) and for fast export ?
none of the above

try this one:
Intel Core i9 7980XE Intel-X CPU, 18 cores, 36 threads, 2.6GHz (4.2GHz Turbo), LGA 2066, 24.75MB Cache, 165W TDP, Intel Hyperthreading Technology

or as minimum:
Intel Core X i9-7940X 14-Core LGA 2066 3.10 Ghz CPU Processor - 14 Cores - 28 Threads

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 4 WD RE4 2TB in Raid5 for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Captain

Of course you might be limited by matters of budget. If you don't have the money for i9 7980XE or i9-7940X, you will have to make compromises:

While the i7-8700 with its integrated QuickSync will accelerate h.264 decoding and encoding (which makes h.264-exports faster), it only has 6 cores. This will be enough for two, three or four tracks in HD, even with some effects on it. But if you plan on 4k, the i7-8700 might reach its limits pretty soon.

The i9 7900X has more cores, which is good particularly for Edius 9. More cores will definetly help to improve smooth edit. Typically, this more-than-6-cores-CPUs do not have QuickSync, and therefore no accelerated h.264 export.

When it comes to effects it is interesting to know that most of the standards Edius effect do not take (any or too much) advantage of an additional GPU. One big exception is the primary color corrector, where a dedicated GPU is used, and also third-party-effects like Hitfilm and others.

To make a decision if you are limited on budget:

# Do you plan on keeping your new CPU for a period of two years? Or rather five years? If you need to stay with your CPU for quite a few years, then go rather future-proof with 12 or more cores. If you plan on replacing the CPU in two years anyway, you might as well choose an 8-core-CPU, depending on the questions below.

# How much 4k will you be doing the next two, three, four years?
If you know for sure that you will be doing mostly HD with 4k occasionally coming in during the next few years, you might get away with a i7-8700 or at least i7-7820X (8 cores, no QuickSync).

# How often will you export movies, and how long will they be?
If you will be exporting two films per week, each of them being some 30 minutes, than QuickSync might not be such a big factor. Do exports over night or while you are reading and answering emails and making coffee. If you plan on exporting several movies every day you might be bothered with export times and therefore wish to take advantage of QuickSync.

# How smooth or not your edit experience might be, will also be influenced by factors like size and speed of RAM, speed of your hard drive (fast SSD recommended) and the cooling of your CPU. I have heard of people who own a 14-core-CPU but do not have a decent cooling, ending up with the CPU throttling itself in speed because it reaches temperature limits.

Finally: if you own the Workgroup version of Edius, you have the opportunity to drop preview resolution without starting the whole proxy process. This will help if you reach CPU limits on playback, but is usually seen as a feature you would not want to use all the time, simply because it hurts your eyes and makes it harder to judge your images.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories