Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Maurice

Default Capture of Analogue material.

It is many years since I had to capture a VHS tape to my Edius 7.53 and I have forgotten how. As I recall I connect a VHS player to my Sony DVCam DSR-20 recorder which has AV inputs and a 1394 Firewire output which I feed into my desktop computer but when I click on the 'Capture' tag it is greyed out.
There must be a setting or something I have forgotten. Looking for suggestions.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
David Clarke

You need to make a capture preset in the system settings - hardware. You are capturing from DV if I understand correctly - the VHS goes through the DV recorder to the computer. So you need to make a DV capture preset.

I made some videos about setting up EDIUS 9 which you can see here: http://www.dvctraining.co.uk/installing-edius-9/

In the 4th section there is something about setting up DV capture presets. This is done in EDIUS 9 but EDIUS 7 is pretty much the same.

Once you have a capture preset you can select it and everything should work. If you still don't see a picture then test it using a DV tape playing in the DV camera to make sure that you can capture that. If you can then there maybe another setting in the camera to let an analogue input signal pass through the DV recorder.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Captain

And remember that with firewire the order in which you turn on devices can be crucial. I have a ADVC-300 device connected via firewire. In order for Edius to see and use it, the device needs to be turned on in the first place and after that the computer can be booted. It won't work vice versa in my case, but it might be different for you.
Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
And remember that with firewire the order in which you turn on devices can be crucial. I have a ADVC-300 device connected via firewire. In order for Edius to see and use it, the device needs to be turned on in the first place and after that the computer can be booted. It won't work vice versa in my case, but it might be different for you.
Thanks for your response. After Dave Clarke's reply I realised I had lost system settings due to a reinstall some while back.

Interestingly I have an ADVC-50 which I thought should also do the trick as it has av in and firewire out but I haven't managed to get it to pass data through to the computer although my DVCAM recorder does.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
dpalomaki

Any changes to the computer or operating system since you last captured? Some automatic updates may change drivers on you. You will probably need the Legacy OHCI IEEE1394 driver; it is not automatically installed by Windows.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Any changes to the computer or operating system since you last captured? Some automatic updates may change drivers on you. You will probably need the Legacy OHCI IEEE1394 driver; it is not automatically installed by Windows.
==================

Thanks for that tip. I had two entries of the driver, both the same. I have now changed both to legacy however I have just posted more problems on the same quest.
Maurice

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS