Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #221
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Snow View Post
Here are the presets updated for DVD-A with the 4 modifications mentionned in my previous post. Also, i've put a lower max. bitrate because i've noticed (using Bitrate viewer software) that Procoder often exceeds a lot the set value.
They all do, spikes are normal and acceptable
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #222
Lucius Snow

Peaks over 30 Mbit/s make bugs at playing with my Blu-Ray player (Oppo BDP-83). I know it is supposed to go beyond but this is the theory ...

Here is a 5 sec sample example tested by Elecard stream viewer :

Bitrate declared : 28 Mbit/s
Bitrate average : 19 Mbit/s
Bitrae maximum : 44 Mbit/s (28 Mbit/s set into Procoder preset)

(that's for the video raw stream only, not audio, header etc.)

Last edited by Lucius Snow; 03-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #223
Lucius Snow

Quote:
Peaks over 30 Mbit/s make bugs at playing with my Blu-Ray player (Oppo BDP-83).
My mistake, this is due to the burning on DVD media instead of BD media.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #224
4Kover3D
Banned

GOP for BD is up to 1sec- not 15 for PAL and 18 for NTSC.
For encodes with max bitrate <15Mbit GOP can be up to 2sec.

Longer GOP= better encoding efficiency.

For better players support don't use pyramid B frames. 3 B frames (AVC) are fine as long as no pyramid B frames is used.
Max bitrate can be 40Mbit.

Buffer is very important- 30Mbit (3750000 bytes, AVC). MPEG2 is less- would have to check- don't ever used MPEG2 on BD.

Spikes from grabs as below are normal and means nothing- this is why there is buffer and also whole playback model is more complicated than the way how most stream analyzers work.

Last edited by 4Kover3D; 03-13-2012 at 02:34 AM.
4Kover3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #225
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kover3D View Post
GOP for BD is up to 1sec- not 15 for PAL and 18 for NTSC.
For encodes with max bitrate <15Mbit GOP can be up to 2sec.

Longer GOP= better encoding efficiency.

For better players support don't use pyramid B frames. 3 B frames (AVC) are fine as long as no pyramid B frames is used.
Max bitrate can be 40Mbit.

Buffer is very important- 30Mbit (3750000 bytes, AVC). MPEG2 is less- would have to check- don't ever used MPEG2 on BD.

Spikes from grabs as below are normal and means nothing- this is why there is buffer and also whole playback model is more complicated than the way how most stream analyzers work.
Andrew.

If as you suggest, these are recommendations for legal Blu-ray compatible video parameters. Then you may want to double check. As your suggestions may well work for general AVC playback in certain scenarios, but they are incorrect for Blu-ray. BTW your statement for suggesting "don't ever used MPEG2 on BD" is something that the majors would disagree with, and also Edius users. BTW, I don't know if you remember, but. Recently " as in today", you suggested to an Edius user that Edius 3D could encode to MPEG2 for BD. I may be missing the point, but. Could you explain the obvious contradiction between your two statements.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #226
Lucius Snow

Another question to the experts :

- if i want to make a Blu-Ray from a 25p source, should i use 50i preset with pulldown filter enabled in Procoder ?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #227
4Kover3D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Union Films View Post
Andrew.

If as you suggest, these are recommendations for legal Blu-ray compatible video parameters. Then you may want to double check. As your suggestions may well work for general AVC playback in certain scenarios, but they are incorrect for Blu-ray. BTW your statement for suggesting "don't ever used MPEG2 on BD" is something that the majors would disagree with, and also Edius users. BTW, I don't know if you remember, but. Recently " as in today", you suggested to an Edius user that Edius 3D could encode to MPEG2 for BD. I may be missing the point, but. Could you explain the obvious contradiction between your two statements.
I don't see anything wrong with my suggestion regarding BD spec, but there may be something wrong- I can double check.

I said- I never used MPEG2 for BD- not, don't ever use (maybe it's not in proper English- hehe). Nothing wrong with using MPEG2 for BD if you happy with quality.
I do professional A class releases replicated in 100K copies from big studios, so I don't use MPEG2 even for extras as this is unacceptable by clients.
Have no problem with AVC encoding speed as I'm using pro encoders, which are faster than realtime (per pass). I also don't have to care for compatibility as these encoders won't let me go out of BD spec. In the same time I can assure you that I have BD spec books and if I have special needs I can always check.

If we're talking about strict compliancy - ProCoder AVC streams are not strictly compliant at all with BD spec. It does not change fact that streams will play fine on most (if not all) BD players as many of them uses chips which can go way out of BD spec.

Last edited by 4Kover3D; 03-14-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #228
4Kover3D
Banned

Quote:
Another question to the experts :

- if i want to make a Blu-Ray from a 25p source, should i use 50i preset with pulldown filter enabled in Procoder ?

Thanks.
No.

You encode the same as you would do with 50i.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #229
Lucius Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kover3D View Post
If we're talking about strict compliancy - ProCoder AVC streams are not strictly compliant at all with BD spec.
Can you give us more details ? Which parameters are concerned ?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #230
4Kover3D
Banned

If you're not doing replicate discs you don't have to worry to much.
If you do than ask some company to run it through BD verifier (Sony or Panasonic one), so you will see what it complains about.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder