Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius 8.2 & 8.3 Quick Sync video test.

Here's some information and testing of the latest Windows 10 forced Quick Sync drivers on both E8.2 and E8.3. Below that is some blurb from the YouTube description for the test.

Cheers, Dave.

This video and test are to see how Edius 8.2 compares to 8.3 with regard H.264 MP4 encoding/exporting. Specifically, how each version handles encode speeds after the latest automatic install of the Windows 10 drivers for Intel Quick Sync, as of 30/11/16

The test is first done on an Intel i7 based machine (4790K) with Edius 8.2, then the same machine again with Edius 8.3 and finally the same test on a laptop with an Intel Celeron N3050 CPU (HP Stream 11) running Edius 8.3

The main test parameters are: A project with a one minute 1080P 25FPS timeline with a 1080P 25FPS HQX source test file. Exporting using Edius' H.264 encoder set to high, CBR, 20Mbit, super fine, AAC 512Kb.

These are the results.

i7 4790K
Latest Windows 10 Pro auto updates as of 30/11/16 running Edius 8.20.386
Software export, 1 minute 40 seconds.
Hardware export, 1 minute 40 seconds.

Same system again running Edius 8.3
Software export, 1 minute 43 seconds.
Hardware export, 23 seconds.

Celeron N3050 (HP Stream 11 laptop)
Latest Windows 10 Home auto updates as of 30/11/16 running Edius 8.30.1233
Software export, wayyyyy toooooo long.
Hardware export, 1 minute 22 seconds.

Conclusion. Grass Valley make the best NLE in the universe and Edius 8.3 is better than Edius 8.2

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
NakedEye

Interesting results Dave. I think you will find that Edius 8.2 is simply not using QS hardware on export as it does not support the new updated driver but rather falsely reports that it is by giving you the checkbox. This is how it's been for several versions now. If you roll back to a supported driver ithe the 8.2 encodes will be the same for hardware.

If you have some time try some encodes using X264 from Edius via AVC plug or external program and use use high bitrate and high speed setting and compare these with your QS results for quality and speed. I don't use QS any more.

Regards Dave.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedEye View Post
Interesting results Dave. I think you will find that Edius 8.2 is simply not using QS hardware on export as it does not support the new updated driver but rather falsely reports that it is by giving you the checkbox. This is how it's been for several versions now. If you roll back to a supported driver ithe the 8.2 encodes will be the same for hardware.

If you have some time try some encodes using X264 from Edius via AVC plug or external program and use use high bitrate and high speed setting and compare these with your QS results for quality and speed. I don't use QS any more.

Regards Dave.
Hi Dave.

Yes, in this instance 8.2 isn't using QS as the latest forced Win10 driver isn't compatible. I obviously wasn't clear on this in my ramblings, as this was actually one of the main points I was making out :)

One of the other points was how 8.3 does handle the latest forced driver. What would be interesting, as I was saying in the video, would be to find out if 8.3 is more tolerant of newer drivers. As I have a feeling that 8.3 was released before these latest Win10 forced drivers.

As for X264, you must have missed all my rants about it and my videos over the years :) It's the only encoder I use for final end user/domestic delivery. Did you not see my X265 tests? I'll send you a very interesting file shortly, a very tiny X264 full HD file.

While I'm a total X264 advocate, there's still a place for QS from within Edius. Many people on the forum, and Edius users in general, like to use it for its simplicity and speed. Plus it's quality can be really good at the higher bitrates usually associated with BD. Plus, a lot of people don't really like to go beyond their comfort zone into extended post workflows. Hence this video, just to show the present advantage of upgrading to 8.3

Cheers mate, hope all is well in Kiwiland.
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Ron Evans

EDIUS 8.2 QS with the 4300 driver has the same encode time as EDIUS 8.3 with the 4300 driver or the latest Intel drive from my tests. Like Dave says I am one of the people who do use QS for Bluray encode from the timeline as my projects are usually around 2 hours or more. The extra time is significant to use x264 and at the around 20Mbps bit rate there is little difference in quality at least for my subject matter. For shorter times and lower data rates I too will use x264.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
windowsrookie

Although export is working with newer drivers, quicksync timeline playback is not working on my system with Intel drivers new than .4300. Playback was no problem with the .4300 drivers, but I'm now testing .4331 drivers and my buffer will not get more then 3-4 frames.

Dell XPS 9550
6700HQ
HD530 and GTX 960m
Edius 8.3
windowsrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #6
NakedEye

Hi Dave! All well here thanks, heading your way again next year around June through July. No I did not miss your x264 info over the years I was just pointing out as I know you are aware that x264 direct out of Edius via AVC plugin when set to high bitrate and high speed gives you great quality and speed. The advantage is no piddling around with driver support dropping off between versions. Actually I am now a firm fan of the Intel X series platform and will not build another Z series system for NLE work. I find QS to be a pita and unreliable, even Vimeo would not recognise QS encoded media as mp4. Yes it would upload and encode on the platform but if you went to download your original clip it served up a 3gpp file. We do a lot of review and download of assets through Vimeo which is simple process but try talking a client through how to use a 3gpp in their application. I have also experienced failed encodes on long duration files at 95% or so with batch encode lists from Edius, no apparent reason for failure, set it off again and no issues. Whether this is Edius issue or Intel driver who knows.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
Ron Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
Although export is working with newer drivers, quicksync timeline playback is not working on my system with Intel drivers new than .4300. Playback was no problem with the .4300 drivers, but I'm now testing .4331 drivers and my buffer will not get more then 3-4 frames.

Dell XPS 9550
6700HQ
HD530 and GTX 960m
Edius 8.3
Current driver on my system is 20.19.15.4531 and in current project quickly runs buffer at 300/300 in playback mode. Project is 3 track multicam 1920x1080 60i. 1 track AVCHD 60i and 2 tracks 60P XAVC-S. In this multicam mode with filters off ( always have filters 0ff in multicam) buffer is 3/5 or 4/5. Pretty normal for multicam. As you can see I have no other GPU on my system only the on board GPU of the 4790.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
Adbear

I haven't tested with the latest Intel driver that Windows 10 installs and Edius 8.3, but I do know that in 8.22 and using any driver that was 4500 or above that if you had a UHD project and it was using Quick sync playback if you scrub around for a while you would get green flashes, only way to stop it was to either turn off Quick synch for playback or go back to the last non BETA driver before 4500 which was 4463.

I will hopefully be testing again with the latest Win 10 built in driver and the later one from the Intel site to see if this is still an issues
Old 12-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedEye View Post
Hi Dave! All well here thanks, heading your way again next year around June through July. No I did not miss your x264 info over the years I was just pointing out as I know you are aware that x264 direct out of Edius via AVC plugin when set to high bitrate and high speed gives you great quality and speed. The advantage is no piddling around with driver support dropping off between versions. Actually I am now a firm fan of the Intel X series platform and will not build another Z series system for NLE work. I find QS to be a pita and unreliable, even Vimeo would not recognise QS encoded media as mp4. Yes it would upload and encode on the platform but if you went to download your original clip it served up a 3gpp file. We do a lot of review and download of assets through Vimeo which is simple process but try talking a client through how to use a 3gpp in their application. I have also experienced failed encodes on long duration files at 95% or so with batch encode lists from Edius, no apparent reason for failure, set it off again and no issues. Whether this is Edius issue or Intel driver who knows.
When you're back over, if you get the time to visit Liverpool again it would be ace to catch up, but no going up any high buildings :)

Yes, the AVC plug is awesome and really flexible. As you are saying, even though the main advantage to X264 is it's ability to create awesome low bitrate encodes, it can do very quick high bitrate high quality ones as well. Which are probably at least on par for PQ with anything else and probably as fast as anything else as well. It will also encode certain SARs that Edius/QS won't, which is important for me as I use 2.35:1 and 2.4:1 natively without masking a 16:9 SAR. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Although I don't use QS so much, I've never come across the failures that you mention. But I probably wouldn't as I don't use it enough. I can't remember the last time I used QS to send a file to anyone, but I don't think I've had issues with playback. However, I do use it every now and then (when it's working) to generate a high bitrate intermediate for feeding other encoders (X264 & YouTube) without issue. In fact, the intermediate for the video in this post was fed to YouTube using an Edius QS encode.

The biggest issue I personally have, again something you've mentioned, is the loss of conection from Edius to QS when Windows forces/auto updates. I remember mentioning this recently with Jerry on a post and how the issue becomes a real problem for less experienced users. You have to remember, when talking to most people about drivers, they probably think you are talking about chauffeurs :) The point is, most people aren't that technical and simply want to buy and use something that 'just works'. Look at the more recent new user posts regarding QS and QT, which is also effecting traditional users.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Liverpool TV

For Pat and Steve.

Just to be clear about this post, it isn't an Edius VS something else, it's not a X264 post or a bitching post. It's a direct post and video, purely about Edius and one of its fundamental features.

In case anyone misses the point of the video, it's simply to show Edius users how a fresh 8.3 install picked up the QS driver from the very latest Win10 forced update.

It's also a video that hopefully encourages E8 users to go to 8.3. Besides the QS advantage, there's also other great reasons to go to 8.3.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS